Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A lawsuit in a U.S. court is accusing American oil and gas producers, including Hess, Pioneer Natural Resources and Occidental Petroleum, of price-fixing by conspiring to reduce production.

The lawsuit alleges that these companies have for years "collectively coordinated their production decisions, leading to production growth rates lower than would be seen in a competitive market".

In a Tuesday statement carried by Reuters, the Plaintiffs' lawyer said the companies in question used the past three years to follow an approach of production discipline, which guaranteed that Americans would pay higher gas prices at the pump.
Nothing new here. The “Texas Railroad Commission” was formed a long time ago to regulate not only Railroads but to limit oil production to put a floor on oil prices.

For decades, Alabama Power has sowed influence across the state, according to interviews with more than two dozen former and current reporters, civil rights activists, utility employees and environmentalists. What’s happening in Alabama is an example of how special interests have taken advantage of the diminishing reach and influence of shrinking mainstream newsrooms in the US. In their place have sprung up fake “pink slime” news sites operated by political interests; a utility that secretly created news outlets to attack its critics; and a Florida publisher who accepts payments for positive coverage.

Alabama politicians have in large part allowed the utility to flourish. Shareholders of the publicly traded utility receive some of the highest returns on equity in the country. In fact, in 2022 Alabama Power reported more profit than allowed, and this past August had to refund $62m to its customers. Even before Alabama Power created its own news entities, four reporters in the state said the utility was aggressive in squashing negative news coverage, including frequently challenging reporting by demanding to meet with top newsroom leaders or threatening lawsuits.

Shell’s board faces a shareholder rebellion as large investors including the UK’s biggest pension scheme prepare to back a climate activist resolution. Twenty-seven investors have agreed to back a resolution filed by the Dutch shareholder activists at Follow This that calls for the oil company to align its medium-term emissions reduction targets with the 2015 Paris agreement

Reactions: ggies07
Well, they have also replaced some older power plants as they've added new ones, so some of the fuel changes should have come from efficiency improvements.

That's offset by the increased steel production (which also went up almost 8x), which primarily uses coal. China's electricity production is greening. There should be no doubts about that.

I had one of those washer/dryer combo from LG about 10 years ago.

Pros:
- Absolutely sipped power
- Being ventless, it put very little heat and humidity into the condo, and required zero make up air re-heat or re-cool
- one load in before work -> one load out after work most work days became our typical use cycle
- never forgot to move over and dry clothes so they never got that 12 hours in a wet washer smell
- Had a quick steam setting that was great for relaxing wrinkles, or getting the "this has been in the closet for 8 months since I wore it last" funk off of a single shirt or something

Cons:
- Somewhat loud, on again off again noise profile
- Small internal volume, and you absolutely couldn't pack it in
- Loooooooooooong cycle times, especially in dry, quickest might be 3 hours, a load of bulky or jeans could be 6 hours to dry
- Never got the clothes 100% dry, towels and sheets forget it. But leave them to air cool off for 5-15 minutes and then the last bit of moisture would go off before folding and putting away
- Couldn't handle beach sand, heavy pet hair, etc. Cleaning the drain trap was somewhere between a daily and weekly maintenance operation

I have a separate washer and ventless inverter heat pump dryer now. Takes up more space (but I have plenty in my current house), and yes you have to move over clothes, but honestly it handles more per load so the time factor balances out.

Reactions: iPlug
I had one of those washer/dryer combo from LG about 10 years ago.

Pros:
- Absolutely sipped power
- Being ventless, it put very little heat and humidity into the condo, and required zero make up air re-heat or re-cool
- one load in before work -> one load out after work most work days became our typical use cycle
- never forgot to move over and dry clothes so they never got that 12 hours in a wet washer smell
- Had a quick steam setting that was great for relaxing wrinkles, or getting the "this has been in the closet for 8 months since I wore it last" funk off of a single shirt or something

Cons:
- Somewhat loud, on again off again noise profile
- Small internal volume, and you absolutely couldn't pack it in
- Loooooooooooong cycle times, especially in dry, quickest might be 3 hours, a load of bulky or jeans could be 6 hours to dry
- Never got the clothes 100% dry, towels and sheets forget it. But leave them to air cool off for 5-15 minutes and then the last bit of moisture would go off before folding and putting away
- Couldn't handle beach sand, heavy pet hair, etc. Cleaning the drain trap was somewhere between a daily and weekly maintenance operation

I have a separate washer and ventless inverter heat pump dryer now. Takes up more space (but I have plenty in my current house), and yes you have to move over clothes, but honestly it handles more per load so the time factor balances out.

I hang dry since I am in the desert. LOL

But I would probably still hang dry the big towels and jeans instead of letting the dryer run for 6 hours.

Last edited:

China, India, Korea and Europe are likely to have new reactors come on stream, while several in Japan are also forecast to return to generation, and French output should increase, according to a report on the state of global electricity markets published by the International Energy Agency (IEA) on Wednesday. Electricity demand is also expected to increase around the world, fuelled largely by the move to a low-carbon economy. Electric vehicles and heat pumps, as well as many low-carbon industrial processes, require electricity rather than oil and gas.

However, the IEA also warned that the growth of power capacity was still uneven around the world. For instance, while electricity supply has increased overall in Africa, on a per capita basis power use across the continent has remained stagnant for more than three decades. This is a brake on economic and social development, as people in poverty turn to polluting sources of energy such as biomass and paraffin. A lack of readily available electricity also holds back children from education and imperils health whenever hospitals experience blackouts.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP

“EU CO2 emissions have finally fallen back to levels apparent in my parents’ generation in the 1960s,” said Isaac Levi, an analyst at Crea. “Yet, over this time period, the economy has tripled – showing that climate change can be combated without foregoing economic growth.”

China, India, Korea and Europe are likely to have new reactors come on stream, while several in Japan are also forecast to return to generation, and French output should increase, according to a report on the state of global electricity markets published by the International Energy Agency (IEA) on Wednesday. Electricity demand is also expected to increase around the world, fuelled largely by the move to a low-carbon economy. Electric vehicles and heat pumps, as well as many low-carbon industrial processes, require electricity rather than oil and gas.

However, the IEA also warned that the growth of power capacity was still uneven around the world. For instance, while electricity supply has increased overall in Africa, on a per capita basis power use across the continent has remained stagnant for more than three decades. This is a brake on economic and social development, as people in poverty turn to polluting sources of energy such as biomass and paraffin. A lack of readily available electricity also holds back children from education and imperils health whenever hospitals experience blackouts.

Almost entirely growth countries. Should help make it easier to shut down coal in the future as PV continues to ramp.

Reactions: iPlug and mspohr

Members of a propane industry lobbying group strategized to downplay the full climate impacts of propane and market it as renewable or “clean energy”, recordings reviewed by the climate newsletter Heated and the Guardian reveal. The Propane Education & Research Council (Perc), a US lobbying group, has spent nearly $30m over the last two years on advertisements for the fossil fuel, according to data compiled by Drilled, a multimedia reporting project focused on climate accountability. The ads often promote propane, the vast majority of which is a by-product of natural gas or crude oil refining, as a form of clean and renewable energy.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP

Looks like future installations will lean more toward solar + battery.
A battery is a good solution to time of use tariffs. You can use it when electric rates are high. Helps manage demand on the grid.

Reactions: DrGriz
Reactions: GSP and mspohr
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP, wws and mspohr