Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predictions: Model S 2017 luxury improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my personal predictions - feel free to add your own:

1- Additional sound insulation making the S even quieter than it is now.

2 - More advanced air suspension options that iron out small pavement irregularities.

3 - Continued gradual mprovements in the quality/durability / feel of interior materials - gradually raising the interior "feel" toward that of the Germans and Lexus.

4 - Second generation of the premium seats - getting closer to the Germans and even more comfortable. Extendable thigh support, articulating back rest, massage functions, etc.

A few one offs for ya:

1. A retractable rear cam so it doesn't get filthy for those in the northern climes.
2. Improved premium sound. It's been long enough! Get a named system in there that is actually worth the money.
3. Convertible/foldable arm rest for the rear center seat with storage
4. Rear climate and seat heat/cool controls...in the rear!
5. Rear cargo cover lifter standard
6. Rear passenger window electrically retractable shades
7. Head up display
8. Complimentary flight attendant. Hell, the car is doing the driving. Let's drink!
:cool:

There have been lots of changes in 2016 and I hope they continue in 2017.

I hope and expect the cabin to become quieter and more comfortable. I love that the car is super car quick, but realisticly, I think it is time to focus on creature comforts. I want AP 2.0 to cruise at nearly 85 mph in near silence while on a call and have great ventilated seats to relax in.

Better audio, yup, better rear seats, ditto. Flight attendant? Uh, yeah.

But silence is golden.

Reactions: davidc18
I believe Tesla has been focused on high margins for the S/X to fund development of the Model 3. Since there is little to no competition, introducing premium luxury features has been lower on the priority list, as those features add cost and have not been necessary to drive sales. Also, adding extra options increases weight and therefore decreases range.

BUT!! Now with the impending introduction of the 2170 cells, weight and cost will go down significantly, and Tesla will be able to afford to add extra premium amenities without drastically lowering margins or reducing range. As Porsche/MB/BMW/etc introduce and refine their elecric vehicles, there will be some competition in the market, and Tesla will be forced to match its competition.

I think we will see:

1. HUD/new steering controls - looks like it is coming to the Model 3, so I imagine it will come to the S as well (sooner rather than later)

2. Improvement in the center display/MCU - if full self driving is coming with AP 2.0, the driver is going to need something to do. Having robust media/internet capabilities and perhaps some sort of innovative phone integration will allow the driver to perform useful tasks while AP is working but also still keep attention directed forward in case the driver needs to take over. I personally think the goal of having full self driving in place next year is an ambitious one, but if they truly want to introduce this functionality by the end of 2017, they will need to keep the driver entertained.

3, Better rear seats -- I think this is a big one. Not really for the US market but for the Chinese market. MB/BMW/etc have special long wheel base models for the Chinese market with executive seating in the rear, and apparently, this is a big deal. I could see Tesla reintroducing the executive rear seat option and adding rear creature comforts (4 zone climate control, rear seat entertainment, etc). This may not make it to the 2017 year though.

And to jump the gun on 2018 -- I think we may be in for a substantial redesign of the interior (and possibly exterior). Major design changes could be in the pipeline to coincide with the introduction of other viable premium electric sedans. A substantive redesign would allow for refinement of AP, changes in major interior components like the center display, audio system, etc.

Exciting times ahead for Tesla! Hopefully, someone will find this thread on 12/31/2017 and we can look back and laugh on how right/wrong we all were! :D

- Dynamic Rear Turn Signals & Front Dynamic Turn Signals
-Soft Closing Doors
-Rear Sunshades
- Bang & Olufsen, Meridian Tri-field Surround,Burmester High-End 3-D Surround-Sound-system,Harman Kardon (Any one of these)
-Rear Camera Cleaning Mechanism
-Cabin Fragrance
-Active Seat Bolsters
-Massaging Seats
-Reclining Rear Seats (Would be cool to have)
-Power Sunshade for Pano and Glass Roof's
-Auto Opening front Doors
-Blind Spot Monitoring located in mirror like every other car with Blind Spot Monitoring!

-Rear Seat Controls
-Mirror Vanity Lights
-Nappa Leather
-Key Fob Wrapped in Leather ;)

May not come for next year but in years to come!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Olle and CHG-ON
2. Improved premium sound. It's been long enough! Get a named system in there that is actually worth the money.

-
- Bang & Olufsen, Meridian Tri-field Surround,Burmester High-End 3-D Surround-Sound-system,Harman Kardon (Any one of these)

I definitely vote against licensing a cheesy brand name to slap on the audio system. And clutter up the interior. The current UHF system is great.

People impressed by cheesy brand names in audio are in the minority of Tesla buyers who would prefer understated quality and certainly no logos in the interior.

Although aesthetically pleasing, I believe that Model S will never be a truly silent car before they put some kind of frame on the windows. At least on my Model S that's where most wind noise comes in. I find myself often clicking to close the windows because theres so much wind noise. Does this happen to some of you?

I definitely vote against licensing a cheesy brand name to slap on the audio system. And clutter up the interior. The current UHF system is great.

People impressed by cheesy brand names in audio are in the minority of Tesla buyers who would prefer understated quality and certainly no logos in the interior.

Well in my opinion the UHFS is good, but not great (Our S's have it) Way better than the standard sound system! Id rather have the Burmester High-End 3-D Surround-Sound-system. Thats my opinion!:rolleyes:

Reactions: Carl
3, Better rear seats -- I think this is a big one. Not really for the US market but for the Chinese market. MB/BMW/etc have special long wheel base models for the Chinese market with executive seating in the rear, and apparently, this is a big deal. I could see Tesla reintroducing the executive rear seat option and adding rear creature comforts (4 zone climate control, rear seat entertainment, etc). This may not make it to the 2017 year though.
But there is a reason it is called long wheel-base... because that's exactly what is changed in combination with a longer body for a larger cabin. Just changing the seats won't be good enough and is most likely the reason it didn't gain traction in that segment the last time.

The executive seating is all about more comfort with the longer wheelbase, more legroom, more headroom, less noise etc.
Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-Long-Wheelbase.jpg

I sure hope the future Performance trim actually has some performance parts. Compare the base RWD 60 to the P100DL, it's essentially the same car, but with the "P" they add the small "D" motor up front , bigger battery and fuses to go along with that. The inverter might be different to handle the amps, but IMO, they need performance brakes, suspension, interior trims to match.

Reactions: CHG-ON and Spidy