Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predictions: Model S 2017 luxury improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure hope the future Performance trim actually has some performance parts. Compare the base RWD 60 to the P100DL, it's essentially the same car, but with the "P" they add the small "D" motor up front , bigger battery and fuses to go along with that. The inverter might be different to handle the amps, but IMO, they need performance brakes, suspension, interior trims to match.

Doesn't the RWD 60 also have the small motor in the rear? Although your point is spot on. The P100D is virtually the same car as the 60D at 2.5x the price. They will have to come up with some more significant differentiation if they want to hold the margin.

Power frunk lid?

Personally, I've never thought of my MS as noisy(quietest car I've ever driven), I like the minimalist interior with more focus on the displays(where your eyes are drawn), I find the seats super comfortable(they're heated, are totally adjustable and have lumbar adjustments) but your power frunk suggestion is great. For some reason I'm always nervous I'll dent the hood when closing the frunk(tho I know if closed per the instructions that won't happen) and because of this rarely use it. Sooo power frunk would be great!

Reactions: doctorwho
I definitely vote against licensing a cheesy brand name to slap on the audio system. And clutter up the interior. The current UHF system is great.

People impressed by cheesy brand names in audio are in the minority of Tesla buyers who would prefer understated quality and certainly no logos in the interior.

Cheesy? The current system is HUGELY lacking. I'm half deaf but still know a great system when I hear it; my BMW 4 blew it away and was $800. They don't even offer a cheaper system anymore... High fidelity? It ain't in the current S. Not even close.

If there was a significant enough market for providing more interior space for the second row seating, they might have a better "executive seating" option with the Model X by removing the 3rd row, and pushing the second row back - and still have room for full reclining, due to the increased headroom. The Model S really doesn't have enough space to make "executive seating" work well.

AP 2.0 puts Tesla ahead of other competitors right now - with the potential to buy hardware today that may eventually provide full self driving - a feature that is unlikely to be in vehicles from any other manufacturer for several years.

Compared to my late 2012 P85, Tesla has added quite a few features to the Model S - power folding mirrors, parking sensors, collision avoidance, automatic emergency braking, LED adaptive headlamps, bio-weapon air filtration, enhanced autopilot, (future) full self driving, all-wheel drive, premium leather seats, center console, back cupholders/USB ports and air cooled front seating ventilation. Plus, compared to the 90D, range has been increased by 30 miles at the same performance (4.2 seconds for 0-60).

Tesla may be able to provide quite a few new features through OTA updates on the hardware that is being manufactured today.

Whether Tesla adds Apple CarPlay or Android Auto or comes up with another screen mirroring solution (which Musk had previously promised), Tesla is falling further behind on smartphone integration - and needs to do something (much less expensive cars do text to voice for text messaging).

The current navigation software and even the "new" media player lag behind in functionality of what is available in other vehicles and smartphones. While the Tesla user interface looks nice (though may not be that usable in some cases - like changing audio sources), the functionality continues to lag behind expectations (no playlists, no waypoints, no route customization, no notification of upcoming traffic restrictions, ...).

Since the Model S was first introduced over 4 years ago, we were promised a 3rd party App Store - and we still don't have access to anything other than Tesla's built-in basic apps and a few clever web browser apps. Apple CarPlay, Android Auto or screen mirroring could provide an alternative to the App Store (by using smartphone apps) - but even if they do that, there may still be value in having some apps running on the car's processor - and have controlled access to the car's capabilities (such as tracking the location, speed, direction of the car).

And, we are still waiting for Tesla to provide software without major and obvious flaws. Since sleep mode was first introduced almost 4 years ago, the media player gets confused when re-entering the car. The Google satellite maps look great, but often have large blank spaces when the maps aren't being downloaded (can't we get local map fragments cached in the car?). Anyone wanting to listen to audiobooks have to use their smartphone because USB playback still forgets location inside USB files. And in the recent software, phone calls get disconnected when changing the volume during a call. Tesla owners have been surprisingly willing to accept the software flaws - not clear new owners (of the Model 3) will be as forgiving of software flaws...

If there was a significant enough market for providing more interior space for the second row seating, they might have a better "executive seating" option with the Model X by removing the 3rd row, and pushing the second row back - and still have room for full reclining, due to the increased headroom. The Model S really doesn't have enough space to make "executive seating" work well.

AP 2.0 puts Tesla ahead of other competitors right now - with the potential to buy hardware today that may eventually provide full self driving - a feature that is unlikely to be in vehicles from any other manufacturer for several years.

Compared to my late 2012 P85, Tesla has added quite a few features to the Model S - power folding mirrors, parking sensors, collision avoidance, automatic emergency braking, LED adaptive headlamps, bio-weapon air filtration, enhanced autopilot, (future) full self driving, all-wheel drive, premium leather seats, center console, back cupholders/USB ports and air cooled front seating ventilation. Plus, compared to the 90D, range has been increased by 30 miles at the same performance (4.2 seconds for 0-60).

Tesla may be able to provide quite a few new features through OTA updates on the hardware that is being manufactured today.

Whether Tesla adds Apple CarPlay or Android Auto or comes up with another screen mirroring solution (which Musk had previously promised), Tesla is falling further behind on smartphone integration - and needs to do something (much less expensive cars do text to voice for text messaging).

The current navigation software and even the "new" media player lag behind in functionality of what is available in other vehicles and smartphones. While the Tesla user interface looks nice (though may not be that usable in some cases - like changing audio sources), the functionality continues to lag behind expectations (no playlists, no waypoints, no route customization, no notification of upcoming traffic restrictions, ...).

Since the Model S was first introduced over 4 years ago, we were promised a 3rd party App Store - and we still don't have access to anything other than Tesla's built-in basic apps and a few clever web browser apps. Apple CarPlay, Android Auto or screen mirroring could provide an alternative to the App Store (by using smartphone apps) - but even if they do that, there may still be value in having some apps running on the car's processor - and have controlled access to the car's capabilities (such as tracking the location, speed, direction of the car).

And, we are still waiting for Tesla to provide software without major and obvious flaws. Since sleep mode was first introduced almost 4 years ago, the media player gets confused when re-entering the car. The Google satellite maps look great, but often have large blank spaces when the maps aren't being downloaded (can't we get local map fragments cached in the car?). Anyone wanting to listen to audiobooks have to use their smartphone because USB playback still forgets location inside USB files. And in the recent software, phone calls get disconnected when changing the volume during a call. Tesla owners have been surprisingly willing to accept the software flaws - not clear new owners (of the Model 3) will be as forgiving of software flaws...

I respect your opinion but none of these things bother me(love, love, love the media player, I don't use a usb player, hate bluetooth phone in any car and would never use, nav is subpar but I use Waze so don't care). And updating software isn't always necessary or beneficial...e.g. latest IOS update :eek:

Personally, I've never thought of my MS as noisy(quietest car I've ever driven), I like the minimalist interior with more focus on the displays(where your eyes are drawn), I find the seats super comfortable(they're heated, are totally adjustable and have lumbar adjustments) but your power frunk suggestion is great. For some reason I'm always nervous I'll dent the hood when closing the frunk(tho I know if closed per the instructions that won't happen) and because of this rarely use it. Sooo power frunk would be great!
Can't be done. The frunk needs to be manual so it can be opened when the 12 v dies or to cut the cable after a wreck.

Cheesy? The current system is HUGELY lacking. I'm half deaf but still know a great system when I hear it; my BMW 4 blew it away and was $800. They don't even offer a cheaper system anymore... High fidelity? It ain't in the current S. Not even close.

Others disagree:

Tesla Model S Sound System Gets "Extraordinary" Rating

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1495979/

Most people who think the Tesla UHFS is lacking are using the satellite radio which is a crappy source. Using FLACs through USB -- mine sounds great.

That Tesla Tweet is absolutely misleading. First of all they didn't call the sound system extraordinary, but the interface on the screen. And they say that it beats the Audi BECAUSE of the price (more value for the money, not better sound). Tesla has more bass and is louder, but they clearly state that the Audi system is more harmonic and fine tuned.

HiFi-Systeme Tesla vs. Audi im Test: Preiswert und auf Augenhöhe?

That Tesla Tweet is absolutely misleading. First of all they didn't call the sound system extraordinary, but the interface on the screen. And they say that it beats the Audi BECAUSE of the price (more value for the money, not better sound). Tesla has more bass and is louder, but they clearly state that the Audi system is more harmonic and fine tuned.

HiFi-Systeme Tesla vs. Audi im Test: Preiswert und auf Augenhöhe?
Your comment is absolutely misleading. what they actually said was:
"Although the Tesla system with 2,800 euros including DAB tuner only costs about one third of the B & O system (6,000 euros), it can keep up with the sound."

And "the Tesla boss asked the music producer Rick Rubin (including Metallica, Adele) to check the system and write down what he would change. After intensely listening to many of his own recordings, Rubin gave only one sentence: "I would not change anything at all."

And then they explain the Tesla has much better bass, way better bass, and the B&O system has better tweeters. And the B+O system is 3200 euros more than teslas UHFS.

People attached to brand names like Bose or Levinson or B+O need to get over it. Usually those names are only licensed marketing and signify nothing about quality or involvement. They cheese up the car interior with stupid logos. Smart Tesla buyers should know better than to think a licensed logo cluttering the dash means anything.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Gee this almost belongs in a different thread but the sound system is not extraordinary. It lacks resolution, particularly bass, midrange and treble (in other words everything), the FM reception is comically poor.
I'd like to see a reverse cycle HVAC with the resistive element retained but only working below 5 degrees C as it would use less energy than the resistive heating.
I'd like quieter tyres, the major source of noise in my car

Gee this almost belongs in a different thread but the sound system is not extraordinary. It lacks resolution, particularly bass, midrange and treble (in other words everything), the FM reception is comically poor.

You should have ordered UHFS for your Tardis.

And listen to FLACs through USB instead of seeking audio quality from FM reception . . . (does anyone really listen to the radio anymore?)

Your comment is absolutely misleading. what they actually said was:
"Although the Tesla system with 2,800 euros including DAB tuner only costs about one third of the B & O system (6,000 euros), it can keep up with the sound."

And "the Tesla boss asked the music producer Rick Rubin (including Metallica, Adele) to check the system and write down what he would change. After intensely listening to many of his own recordings, Rubin gave only one sentence: "I would not change anything at all."

And then they explain the Tesla has much better bass, way better bass, and the B&O system has better tweeters. And the B+O system is 3200 euros more than teslas UHFS.

People attached to brand names like Bose or Levinson or B+O need to get over it. Usually those names are only licensed marketing and signify nothing about quality or involvement. They cheese up the car interior with stupid logos. Smart Tesla buyers should know better than to think a licensed logo cluttering the dash means anything.
Don't forget that sound perception is completely subjective to the audience. We all have our own tastes.

I am not interested in "named" systems for the name. I want a better quality system with better processing from a company that has the chops. The speakers could be much better than they are. The amp is dirty. The sound stage simply stinks. When centered, it smacks me in the face with everything right in front of me. No separation at all. The balance/fade controls are essentially impossible to manipulate while driving safely. I will say that when I am parked and able to finely tune it, it sounds pretty good. But that's not when I am listening to it. When I am in the car, I am driving.

They really could do better at the current price.