Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preferred Date Gone from Dashboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to post something about my preferred date but I'll post it here instead. I ordered and confirmed my S85 on the 6th of March and the preferred delivery date of Late March. What are the odds of that actually happening when the configure site says 2-3 months? Would I most likely get mine late March or in around May. Which is within the 2-3 month range?
That is so bizarre. What is your VIN? I confirmed Feb 22 and the earliest preferred date was April. There seems like no consistency here.

And as if by divine intervention, I get an email right after this post... Hmmmm.... LOL

No email for me yet. My area is going through a transition right now as Tesla is bringing on a more centrally-located DS for the southeast. So I'm not sure if my current mid-Atlantic DS will be wrapping things up for me or if it will be turned over to the local DS prior to the car showing up.

No email for me yet. My area is going through a transition right now as Tesla is bringing on a more centrally-located DS for the southeast. So I'm not sure if my current mid-Atlantic DS will be wrapping things up for me or if it will be turned over to the local DS prior to the car showing up.

Ok, this afternoon, status switched to "Being prepared for pickup or delivery". I'm in the southeast, so it will be the latter. Sounds like it will be soon!

Is this based on information you have, or speculation? This doesn't seem like a great strategy for Tesla, if true.
I is based on what I was told in Hong Kong by Tesla. They have hundreds of RHD cars to build to satisfy orders orders. This would be a great strategy given that the bigger the market the more successful Tesla will be. I wonder if they dedicate part of all of the line to RHD production.

I is based on what I was told in Hong Kong by Tesla. They have hundreds of RHD cars to build to satisfy orders orders. This would be a great strategy given that the bigger the market the more successful Tesla will be. I wonder if they dedicate part of all of the line to RHD production.
When I had a (rather disappointing) tour of the factory a couple of weeks ago, I saw that final assembly is laid out with all the parts for the left of the car in that side and vice versa.

that would make it harder for the line to alternate cars of L and R hand drive so flipping the line for a week or two could make a lot of sense.

Why was the tour disappointing?
Chaotic organisation; Tesla staff gave the feeling of wanting us all gone as quickly as possible; all crammed on a tram driving the length of the factory and back with little explanation on the way; tour guide who seemed new to Tesla and the factory and couldn't answer many obvious questions (having mentioned the layout of assembly split L/R for instance, had no idea of what they'd do for RHD cars which they are about to build in bulk).

The tour is a fabulous opportunity to ensure each attendee becomes a committed lifetime Tesla customer. Had I not had the knowledge of the car I had researched beforehand, I would have struggled to get much meaningful from the tour. I travelled over 5000 miles in the expectation that this would be the first tangible magic memory since I ordered a car; instead it left a disappointing impression that their customer care could be deteriorating as they scale up.

Chaotic organisation; Tesla staff gave the feeling of wanting us all gone as quickly as possible; all crammed on a tram driving the length of the factory and back with little explanation on the way; tour guide who seemed new to Tesla and the factory and couldn't answer many obvious questions (having mentioned the layout of assembly split L/R for instance, had no idea of what they'd do for RHD cars which they are about to build in bulk).

This is really disappointing; I'm sorry it turned out that way for you, especially given the distance you traveled and the anticipation you brought into the tour. I'm less than two hours from the factory by car, and I'll be let down if it's rushed. They are allowing me to bring my son, who is not yet of the proper age for the tour but is greater than the minimum height. I'm taking the tour as much for him as anyone - maybe we should do some research and watch online video tours before we go so that he's not lost (especially given his young age). Thoughts on this?

As an aside, all my son knows is that he's not old enough to take the tour. He's disappointed but has resolved himself to missing out. I plan to get him ready for school that day and drive right past on our way to the factory. Given that he'll miss school, I doubt any tour would be a letdown.. but I'd still like to maximize the experience for all of us.

This is really disappointing; I'm sorry it turned out that way for you, especially given the distance you traveled and the anticipation you brought into the tour. I'm less than two hours from the factory by car, and I'll be let down if it's rushed. They are allowing me to bring my son, who is not yet of the proper age for the tour but is greater than the minimum height. I'm taking the tour as much for him as anyone - maybe we should do some research and watch online video tours before we go so that he's not lost (especially given his young age). Thoughts on this?
My suggestion would be to talk to your sales contact and explain the situation. If he or she has contacts at the factory you might just get them do do a child's tour on a golf buggy with a knowledgeable guide. The issues will be 2-fold I predict: finding someone who'll make it happen (I thought it was set up for me and it failed to happen as planned at the factory end); and if their public liability insurance has a minimum age allowed on floor.

in my experience, the USA is one of the best countries in the world at making tours good even when there is little material content - in Tesla's case there is SO much content that's exciting and good it should be a lifetime experience. As another example, just think of what you could do with an impending owner if his car is in assembly when he visits.....he'd never buy another make :)

Ok, this morning my Pickup box was updated to show "Late March", which compares favorably with the date of 26 Mar from the DS. Based on some other recently-chronicled experiences here at TMC, it might be worth a call to see if it might show up earlier than that.

So maybe "Preferred Date" advice is now back on-line for everyone?