Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

preheat for supercharging without nav?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just preheat the cabine and you will see a little red icon (SSS) on the left side of the battery icon telling that the battery is warming up and you will get 100% regen.

View attachment 769661View attachment 769662

I have MCU2 and don't get that icon when I turn on cabin heat. Since I have a P85DL, I can turn my battery heater on manually by switching to Ludicrous Plus which I do frequently because I often know I'm going to be hitting a supercharger that is only 5 minutes away in the morning from my hotel and I need to run out and start the heater at least 45 minutes before we leave if it's a cold morning.

I'd love a way to turn on the battery heater with the app.
Screenshot_20220217-085944_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I have MCU2 and don't get that icon when I turn on cabin heat. Since I have a P85DL, I can turn my battery heater on manually by switching to Ludicrous Plus which I do frequently because I often know I'm going to be hitting a supercharger that is only 5 minutes away in the morning from my hotel and I need to run out and start the heater at least 45 minutes before we leave if it's a cold morning.

I'd love a way to turn on the battery heater with the app.
View attachment 770304
The icon will come on if it's heating the battery, which it will do if the climate control is on AND the battery is very cold - it won't heat up to "prime supercharging" temps - just "enough that you'll probably just barely have full regen" temps. If your battery is already over ~40 degrees, you won't see the icon unless you're in Insane/Ludicrous+ mode.

The icon will come on if it's heating the battery, which it will do if the climate control is on AND the battery is very cold - it won't heat up to "prime supercharging" temps - just "enough that you'll probably just barely have full regen" temps. If your battery is already over ~40 degrees, you won't see the icon unless you're in Insane/Ludicrous+ mode.

Then it's not very useful. It takes an S85 55 minutes to heat from 40F to 103F which is the optimal temperature for supercharging.

More cupholders? Or *better* cupholders? What makes a cupholder better?
Less cupholders than newer cars, as my S doesn't have any in the back! However the front ones have nice spring loaded push-in pieces all around that hold smaller bottles/cups in place. In later cars the sides of the front cupholders are just the vertical walls, nothing to keep a narrow bottle steady.

I assume the change was an early cost-cutting measure, as my cupholders have been 100% reliable, unlike much of the rest of the car! :D

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: serendipitous
Reliability where it counts! =P. Seriously though, who would put up with unreliable cupholders? Not me, that's for sure.
The German carmakers used to put in janky unreliable cupholders, I assume only because the US market required them. Some were riding beyond anything I could make up! It wasn't because their engineers couldn't design in decent cupholders...they absolutely could have, if they wanted to. They clearly didn't want to! 😄

I think German cars pretty much all come with normal cupholders now, at least the ones sold here. As a warm-blooded drink-sipping American I certainly hope so!

Just went out and turned on L+ mode and the battery heat icon immediately popped up in the app. I feel sad for those that don't have a performance plus option to manually turn on the heater. My supercharging experience, which has been degraded by chargegate like all other 85s, is at least tolerable because I can control well in advance getting the battery up to the optimal temperature when navigating wouldn't do it anywhere near in time.

I only wish there was a way to turn it on remotely.

The German carmakers used to put in janky unreliable cupholders, I assume only because the US market required them. Some were riding beyond anything I could make up! It wasn't because their engineers couldn't design in decent cupholders...they absolutely could have, if they wanted to. They clearly didn't want to! 😄

I think German cars pretty much all come with normal cupholders now, at least the ones sold here. As a warm-blooded drink-sipping American I certainly hope so!
BMW wouldn't include cupholders for a very long time, and executives spoke very publicly about why they thought it was offensive. Their cars were for DRIVING. You need to dedicate your hands and attention and focus on control and performance. They thought it was irritating how Americans did all kinds of miscellaneous distracting and unrelated and gross things while in cars, like eating, drinking, putting on makeup, and all kinds of other stuff. They didn't like that and didn't want to enable it by including cupholders.

Did anyone figure out a way to preheat the battery without getting into the car? I'm only 5 mins from the supercharger, so it doesn't have much time to preheat when I drive there, so I only charge at 30kW for the first 30 minutes as it gradually warms and increases to 50kW. I would love to preheat the battery while it sits at home for 30 minutes before driving to the charger. Is there any way to do this manually? I can send the address to the car but it won't preheat until I get in, and if I start it preheating and then leave the car to let it warm up it stops heating the battery when I get out. It's kind of annoying!

Not sure about pre-refresh, but in the app under "Schedule" "Depature" tab, you can set your departure time and check the pre-heat battery option. You don't have to be plugged into a charger for it to pre condition the battery but it may not work once you fall below some charge level.

Is there any way to trigger HV battery preheating for supercharging on Model S without nav?

I wonder if preheating might help squeeze a bit higher charge rate into our thoroughly chargegated P85. These days it typically touches 70s kW at low SoC then very quickly ramps down to 50s and slower ramp into the 30s. If it's cold it might start as low as 30s.
Do the yo-yo

just do a few hard pulls on the road and it'll be heated up and good to go. Sometimes that heating battery for SC notice comes up when I'm like 2-5 min from a charger so i just floor it then let regen down to a slower speed and then floor it again. I'll do this a couple times and usually in about a mile or two the preheating notice is gone. This also works to get rid of the yellow lines for regen when its cold outside, just floor it a few times. I'll go up to about 90-110mph then back down to about 50-60mph and then back to 100 or so. My typical cruising speed is 85mph but even cruising at that speed it doesn't put off enough heat to actually warm the batteries when its cold outside to be "ideal" for supercharging, hence the preheating notice on the screen.

Side note speeding is dangerous only do so if you feel safe and are able to control the vehicle at high rates of speed and are in an area where other cars on the road wont be an issue, and you can react to other vehicles as they move around.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Side note speeding is dangerous only do so if you feel safe and are able to control the vehicle at high rates of speed and are in an area where other cars on the road wont be an issue, and you can react to other vehicles as they move around.
You don't need to put a disclaimer on the post. Karens are gonna Karen online no matter what, then they're going to do the same thing on the streets when no one is looking.