Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity 1 year subscription during trial period

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
I have. 2021 Model Y with a one year trial of premium connectivity that will expire in a few months. I see there is an option to purchase a one year subscription for 99.00 now. If I purchase this today will it begin when the current trial ends or will it cut my trial short and begin immediately?

I like the 1 year price and would like to lock it in before they change their mind and go back to monthly only.

When I purchased it for both my model 3 and model Y, the subscription started at the end of the trial period (model Y) or end of current subscription (model 3). There is another thread here where someone said they purchased it during the trial period and it simply picks up after that ends.

I can tell you, in my case, I subscribed to the 1 year premium connectivity the day we brought my wifes model Y home, as I knew I wanted it, and wanted to see what would happen (and was fairly "ok" with losing 1 month of premium connectivity if that was what happened).

It picked up after the 1 month of free premium connectivity (that is now what they offer with new model Ys) ended, not the day I subscribed.

Same here - I got my Model Y last month, and signed up for the yearly subscription last week, a couple of days before my trial period ended. They may not have done it right when they first rolled out the yearly plan, but I think they have the correct procedure in place now - they waited until the trial ended to charge my card and let me know I was now on the yearly plan.

I agree the yearly plan makes more sense for most. The only caveat (as you allude to) is that there is no refund if you get rid of the car before the year is up.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Same here - I got my Model Y last month, and signed up for the yearly subscription last week, a couple of days before my trial period ended. They may not have done it right when they first rolled out the yearly plan, but I think they have the correct procedure in place now - they waited until the trial ended to charge my card and let me know I was now on the yearly plan.

I agree the yearly plan makes more sense for most. The only caveat (as you allude to) is that there is no refund if you get rid of the car before the year is up.

Yeah, it only makes sense if you plan on keeping it going anyway. In my case, it works perfectly, as I dont plan on having either my or my wifes car without premium connectivity. I also prefer doing stuff like this yearly if possible, so it works out for me very well.

I'm curious: When you sign up for the yearly plan, do you have to pay for the whole year up front? No option for monthly payments? Disclaimer: I haven't looked at the connectivity plan yet as I got a free year of connectivity with my MYLR AWD, which I picked up in December.

I'm curious: When you sign up for the yearly plan, do you have to pay for the whole year up front? No option for monthly payments? Disclaimer: I haven't looked at the connectivity plan yet as I got a free year of connectivity with my MYLR AWD, which I picked up in December.

The yearly plan is a yearly plan, for $99 for the year. The same service (premium connectivity) can be purchased monthly for $9.99 per month if you desire to pay monthly (which is obviously $120 a year).

In the US you can pay monthly (9.99 US) + tax. There is now the option to pay $99.00 US (one time charge), + applicable sales tax.

Not sure if this was mentioned. But it is better to wait until trail expired before signing up for yearly plan. Tesla actually gives another month of trail once you sign up yearly plan. Example, I got MYP on 2/17, trial expires 3/16. I waited until 3/20 to sign up yearly plan and Tesla didn’t charge my account for $99 until 4/19. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
Nice catch there @jcanoe . I definitely should have said "In the US" in my post on the pricing, and availability. In some places yearly pricing isnt available, etc.
Either way, we've not talking a huge amount of money. I'm guessing $9.99/month in the US will mean more like $13.99 to $19.99 for us Canucks. Any Canadian MY Owners out there who are paying for their connectivity plan who can enlighten me?

Not sure if this was mentioned. But it is better to wait until trail expired before signing up for yearly plan. Tesla actually gives another month of trail once you sign up yearly plan. Example, I got MYP on 2/17, trial expires 3/16. I waited until 3/20 to sign up yearly plan and Tesla didn’t charge my account for $99 until 4/19. Hope this helps.
I think you may have gotten lucky with an error that occurred or there is another factor involved you may not realize. I purchased the $99 annual plan the day after my free trial expired and my account was charged right away. Check under the Upgrades section of your app and see when your subscription renews. Is the date set for 3/20 or 4/19 of next year?

Has anyone else here purchased the annual subscription after their trial ended and received an additional free month?

I think you may have gotten lucky with an error that occurred or there is another factor involved you may not realize. I purchased the $99 annual plan the day after my free trial expired and my account was charged right away. Check under the Upgrades section of your app and see when your subscription renews. Is the date set for 3/20 or 4/19 of next year?

Has anyone else here purchased the annual subscription after their trial ended and received an additional free month?
shows Renews 4/19/2023

IMG_1447FD92615F-1.jpeg

You sure your Y came with a free Year? Pretty sure it’s 30 days.
I believe older orders are grandfathered into the 1 year trial. I have an April 2021 order that I should be picking up in a few weeks and I believe that I will also have the 1 year trial as those were the terms when I placed the order and it is listed under the order agreement.

I believe older orders are grandfathered into the 1 year trial. I have an April 2021 order that I should be picking up in a few weeks and I believe that I will also have the 1 year trial as those were the terms when I placed the order and it is listed under the order agreement.
good god.. 1yr later? i can't imagine waiting that long for a car. I ordered mine in May 21 and got it in June 21 (switched to existing inventory... wanted radar).

I'll likely pay $99 for a year in a couple of months. But also may wait a month to see if I miss it. I don't use streaming at all and don't care about satellite maps (prefer the simple ones). I do like remote sentry though...

good god.. 1yr later? i can't imagine waiting that long for a car. I ordered mine in May 21 and got it in June 21 (switched to existing inventory... wanted radar).

I'll likely pay $99 for a year in a couple of months. But also may wait a month to see if I miss it. I don't use streaming at all and don't care about satellite maps (prefer the simple ones). I do like remote sentry though...
Hah, yeah, it's been a long wait though it was somewhat intentional. Between working from home for the past couple of years and waiting to see if the infrastructure bill would happen, I delayed completing my profile (and my place in the order queue) till the end of October. We're still not driving a ton, and in the process I get the AMD chip upgrade while giving up passenger lumbar adjustments and whatever else got stripped out over the past year.