Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity as a running cost in novated lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maxxia, my salary packaging provider (unfortunately), are not allowing me to claim premium connectivity as a running expense for the car. Apparently this is because it's not essential and therefore not a claimable expense. This sounds like BS to me but I'm interested in others' experience.

Paying someone to wash your car is also not essential, but it is an expense and is claimable...

Maxxia, my salary packaging provider (unfortunately), are not allowing me to claim premium connectivity as a running expense for the car. Apparently this is because it's not essential and therefore not a claimable expense. This sounds like BS to me but I'm interested in others' experience.

Paying someone to wash your car is also not essential, but it is an expense and is claimable...
It often takes the ATO a while to catch up with new things. I had a claimable trip in 2015 and gave it to my accountant to claim against tax. It was declined as my car did not have a cubic capacity to calculate the rate of the claim at the time. I understand that this has since changed.
The biggest irony is that I was conducting training for a new system being introduced by a client of the IT firm that I was working for at the time. The clients name? The Australian Taxation Office!
Still it can be argued that regularly washing your vehicle is part of maintaining the car to stay within the terms of your lease contract, it’s harder to argue that premium connectivity as an expense.

This is pretty much exactly what my provider (Custom Fleet) said.

Apparently the ATO classify in the same category as things like GPS navigation subscriptions and disallow it...
When you consider what premium subscription actually provides this isn't far from the truth.

Basically a lot of accessories fall into the the same "not claimable' territory
Paint protection rust proofing, window tinting included
Even EAP and FSD as well

I would consider spare tyre/space saving tyre/tyre repair kit to be essential

Think of premium connectivity to be the same category as a Spotify paid account.

I'm also leasing via Maxxia, my sixth lease with them
they told me that they had a special understanding of EVs generally and Tesla in particular
turned out that they didn't
first item: I received a BP fuel card
then I discovered that they had budgeted my lease including petrol purchases of $# per forthnight
not only that, they bounced a claim for reimbursement of charging at superchargers and it took some arguing to get them to cooperate
so they're really not up to speed
nor are BP - its not entirely clear to me why I can't use my card to pay for their Pulse charging

Reactions: GeoQuack
Basically a lot of accessories fall into the the same "not claimable' territory
Paint protection rust proofing, window tinting included
Even EAP and FSD as well

I would consider spare tyre/space saving tyre/tyre repair kit to be essential

Think of premium connectivity to be the same category as a Spotify paid account.
Paint protection was included in my lease agreement
I declined the offfer of tinting
Maxxia were ok with bundling various Tesla accessories including the wall charger, but Tesla wouldn't agree to it

Reactions: Quickst
My NL provider also told me up front during the quote process that Premium Connectivity wasn't able to be covered in the running costs.

Maybe it's one of those things that ATO might change in future but it feels like more of a luxury option than a true running cost which feels fair to me that it can't be claimed.

I'm also leasing via Maxxia, my sixth lease with them
they told me that they had a special understanding of EVs generally and Tesla in particular
turned out that they didn't
first item: I received a BP fuel card
then I discovered that they had budgeted my lease including petrol purchases of $# per forthnight
not only that, they bounced a claim for reimbursement of charging at superchargers and it took some arguing to get them to cooperate
so they're really not up to speed
nor are BP - its not entirely clear to me why I can't use my card to pay for their Pulse charging
They are a rent seeking monopoly with levels of service concordant with this. Everything has been difficult and delayed. They did not budget for sundries so I've had claims for cleaning refused even though there's more than enough money in the account. I have a number of colleagues who have recently bought EVs and their experience around delivery time has been even worse than mine, which is saying a lot. Although it will be financially beneficial to extend my lease when it ends, I may not just to avoid all the frustration of dealing with Maxxia.

They are a rent seeking monopoly with levels of service concordant with this. Everything has been difficult and delayed. They did not budget for sundries so I've had claims for cleaning refused even though there's more than enough money in the account. I have a number of colleagues who have recently bought EVs and their experience around delivery time has been even worse than mine, which is saying a lot. Although it will be financially beneficial to extend my lease when it ends, I may not just to avoid all the frustration of dealing with Maxxia.
it worked out better when I got to talk to someone about the issues
they do everything to prevent that, of course

Reactions: GeoQuack