Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no offline maps and the cache is almost non existent.

From experience premium connectivity maps (sat view) do vanish quickly without service, but nav information remains. Streaming services like Spotify do eventually stop as well.

As mentioned above it runs off the Telstra 4G network, you can use this to check coverage areas Our Coverage & Rollout Maps - Telstra

Are you planning on doing a trip where there will be no / limited connectivity?

Reactions: johnchidgey
not really. Just curious. I thought it will use Starlink. :D
Maybe once starlink start broadcasting on mobile frequencies they will.
Optus has signed a deal with Starlink to get 100% outdoor SMS coverage and later limited data from late 2024.
Maybe Tesla Australia will port the car sim to Optus or just bypass the Telcos altogether in remote regions given Tesla probably have enough control over their LTE radio and 'partner' with starlink themselves.

Reactions: archerwin
Yeah, they've just launched the first satelites for this and there has been talk around the vehicles using this service, who knows when though.

I can find no info about it's use for Tesla cars. Cell phone service, through T-mobile, is hinted at. I think we probably won't see satellite service for cars for some time. And if/when it does happen, the cost might be fairly high.

I can find no info about it's use for Tesla cars. Cell phone service, through T-mobile, is hinted at. I think we probably won't see satellite service for cars for some time. And if/when it does happen, the cost might be fairly high.
From the various press releases there does not seem to be an additional plan or charge to access the starlink mobile/cell frequency broadcast. This seems to be a way for T-mobile and Optus etc, to expand their coverage to all locations within a country. We are specifically speculating about Australia where Tesla currently use Telstra for car mobile/cell access but starlink have entered a deal with one of Tesltra's two competitors.

There will be a commerical relationship with starlink and the Telcos. I imagine the costs that the Telcos incur here will be absorbed into their network costs and less need to expand certain remote low usage areas.

The reason people speculate that this will come to Tesla's is the close management relationship between starlink and Tesla. And maybe it would not really add that much in car benefit. Tracking your car and keeping GPS route data up to date, but would not expect satellite imagery due to limited initial bandwidth. But I don't actually see those things really changing that much so probably limited benefit. Maybe it might assist Tesla in remote service requests to help a customer out.

And not for data. Only for texts and voice (both pretty minimal data usage)
You need a pretty large dish to get decent bandwidth to LEO.
Actually, Optus are saying on their website that at launch (end of 2024) it will be SMS only, with voice and data to follow about 12 months later (presumably when more compatible Starlink sats are in orbit). But you are correct, I can't imagine high data rates over a 550km+ LTE connection.

I would be surprised if Telstra don't get in on it also - they like to be the provider of choice for rural areas and this would give their competitor a real boost.

From the various press releases there does not seem to be an additional plan or charge to access the starlink mobile/cell frequency broadcast.
Not sure about that: Optus are saying "Product details and costs will be available closer to service availability."

No, just like Google maps on your phone. If there is no signal, there is no map
But this only affects the (Google Maps based) map that is displayed on the screen.

The turn by turn directions do keep working offline. But searching for a new destination will require the full address including suburb, because the normal search function also requires connectivity.

Do note that the antenna in the car is much larger than the one in your phone, so it has connectivity at greater distance from the mobile towers.

If there is no cached map, I can't see how it could do turn by turn directions.
The turn by turn comes from the underlying navigation database, which is updated on a regular basis (independent of the main firmware)

old photo, as I cbf walking out to the car in this heat:

1704767713957.png