Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of that bought in 2018 when the tax credit was higher, we did pay a premium. Sure we got that back with the tax credit, but Tesla still got extra money from us.

In addition, I don't understand why Tesla is charging for Traffic Updates. This is included for free with every other car I've purchased in the last 10 years and is free on Google Maps, Apple CarPlay etc... I can understand requiring to use my own data... but that is not an option and I'm sure that map downloads use more data than traffic updates.

Basically the only way to get smart navigation and traffic updates is to pay $9.99 a month when Ford, Mercedes, BMW, etc... offer this for free. My Mercedes I believe is free for 5 years, but even after that I could just use Apple CarPlay which has traffic built in.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lobstahz and meeb
The day is finally here, folks:

Screenshot_20191207-072007.png

Screenshot_20191207-072039.png

Is there anyone out there who has a recently-purchased (still in trial "premium connectivity") SR+ that has live traffic displayed in their Model 3?

I have an SR+ that I took delivery of on Sept 27, 2019. With the upgrade to v10.0, I received Caraoke, browser, streaming, etc. But I do not have traffic visualization or satellite view (I really only care about the former). Now that the option to purchase premium connectivity is available and I have signed up, I am wondering if I will magically get traffic on Jan 7 when Tesla starts taking money from me. If yes, why don't I see this now with my "trial"? If no, is this just some evil trick from Tesla to punish those of us who didn't want to pay +$10k for a second motor and a bigger battery in order to get the added creature comforts?

I would be interested to hear from other SR+ owners still in their trial connectivity period.

What I am curious about is if the satellite navigation and live traffic visualization included in the premium subscription will be activated on my SR+. The SR+ did not come with that but I am assuming the hardware is the same in the car as those that came with the premium package to support these two options. The email says feature availability may vary by hardware configuration.

Any thoughts?

What I am curious about is if the satellite navigation and live traffic visualization included in the premium subscription will be activated on my SR+. The SR+ did not come with that but I am assuming the hardware is the same in the car as those that came with the premium package to support these two options. The email says feature availability may vary by hardware configuration.

Any thoughts?

I'm with you. I want live traffic and am full willing to pay $10/mo for it along with the other services. I am still in the trial period of premium connectivity in my SR+ so I have spotify, streaming audio, caraoke, browser; but not traffic or satellite view. I'm wondering if I will finally get traffic with my paid subscription. If not, then I guess I'm dumping the subscription quickly. I couldn't care less about streaming audio or browser or caraoke. I just want the traffic.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Is there anyone out there who has a recently-purchased (still in trial "premium connectivity") SR+ that has live traffic displayed in their Model 3?

I have an SR+ that I took delivery of on Sept 27, 2019. With the upgrade to v10.0, I received Caraoke, browser, streaming, etc. But I do not have traffic visualization or satellite view (I really only care about the former). Now that the option to purchase premium connectivity is available and I have signed up, I am wondering if I will magically get traffic on Jan 7 when Tesla starts taking money from me. If yes, why don't I see this now with my "trial"? If no, is this just some evil trick from Tesla to punish those of us who didn't want to pay +$10k for a second motor and a bigger battery in order to get the added creature comforts?

I would be interested to hear from other SR+ owners still in their trial connectivity period.

I have SR+ and no satellite maps or live traffic updates when they rolled out v 10. I am curious if this is included as well.

The email says feature availability may vary by hardware configuration. Does that mean that SR+ hardware does not have the ability to get these options as it was not configured to have it in the first place?

I doubt if I contact Tesla I will get a straight answer or anyone will know. I guess we will find out when we/if we sign up.

I'm with you. I want live traffic and am full willing to pay $10/mo for it along with the other services. I am still in the trial period of premium connectivity in my SR+ so I have spotify, streaming audio, caraoke, browser; but not traffic or satellite view. I'm wondering if I will finally get traffic with my paid subscription. If not, then I guess I'm dumping the subscription quickly. I couldn't care less about streaming audio or browser or caraoke. I just want the traffic.

I guess we will find out right? My guess is if we do not have it now then we aren't getting it but Tesla could surprise. Maybe that is why they are charging a little bit more (they originally stated $100 a year) at $120 for a year.

Any thoughts?

SR+ and I got the Email so yes I’m sure we will get it.

The email here:

Premium connectivity 30 Day Trial $9.99 per month

Fred

Reactions: Matsayz
They know that many people would use their phone as a WiFi hotspot instead of paying this, that’s why they won’t let traffic work over WiFi. That’s the only feature on the list I care about. Annoying....

SR+ and I got the Email so yes I’m sure we will get it.

The email here:

Premium connectivity 30 Day Trial $9.99 per month

Fred

I got the email too. The email says feature availability may vary by hardware configuration. Is the Sr+ hardware configured to exclude these features? If I supposedly have a free trial of this then I should have those two options now right?

Reactions: ZappCatt
Per the website included in the e-mail, this will include satellite navigation and traffic visualization for SR+ owners. I have an SR+ and I immediately subscribed - my confirmation e-mail specifically states I will be getting those features.

I certainly understand why those who have something other than an SR/SR+ purchased after 7/1/18 would find this disappointing. My understanding is that you will not loose traffic information - the directions you receive will continue to take traffic into account, it just will not be displayed visually on the screen in your car (this has always been the case for SR+/SR owners).

That being said, I’m personally thrilled at the rollout of this feature. Ever since I purchased my SR plus I had been hoping that Tesla would give me the option to purchase these additional features on a subscription basis. They weren’t worth enough to me to pay the price difference for higher model (as I did not need the additional range or dual motor configuration) but I was hoping to have the option to add them via software update at some point in the future. It looks like the future is today.

I’m mostly looking forward to be getting the traffic visualization and might find the in car browser useful from time to time. Streaming is just a nice to have. To that end it might be wise for Tesla to do a mid range package for about five dollars a month that included the lower bandwidth features such as satellite maps and traffic visualization but did not include music and video streaming, though I’m happy enough with the pricing to subscribe either way.

I got the email too. The email says feature availability may vary by hardware configuration. Is the Sr+ hardware configured to exclude these features? If I supposedly have a free trial of this then I should have those two options now right?
I’m running HW2.5 March 2019 build, will see. I’m running Internet Browser now so it should work.

Fred

No, We do not have Live Traffic or Sat Nav.

Fred