Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got the Model 3 Medium Range Premium Interior EAP a year ago, the premium interior featured satellite maps, traffic updates and music streaming. Good stuff. Now, these features were not complimentary, I forget the amount, but with the premium interior it was NOT the base price. I looked far and wide for any limitation or disclaimer at the time, but there was none. I figured it's like the unlimited supercharging on the Model S, and in reality it doesn't cost them much since they need connection to the car 24x7 for data culling anyway.

So today when this surprise came by e-mail I was not happy, at all.

Your complimentary year of Premium Connectivity is ending on 12/31/2019. After this date your car will switch to Standard Connectivity.

Connectivity.png

Complimentary my butt. It was presented as a trim feature. If they had stated it was for a limited time, at the outset, that would have been fair. But this feels as if they came to repossess the subwoofer. The satellite maps and real time traffic were major features.

I'm the last person to whine about how self-driving is a work in progress, it's great, and I added $3,000 cash to the $5,000 that I paid for autopilot, solely for future features (and literally nothing at the moment).

But now this, while it may not break the bank, is, to put it politely, inappropriate in the case of the late 2018 Full Premium MidRange EAP case, because nothing at the time indicated the traffic/satellite maps were a temporary trial or a "complimentary" bonus, it was shown as a feature.

Last edited:
From a business POV, they had to do this and I was actually thinking about this the other day that it isn’t sustainable to offer free wireless connectivity for the lifetime of a car.

They’re paying monthly fees for their wireless service, it’s not just a software feature.

Reactions: EVMeister
“All Model S, Model X and Model 3 ordered after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.”

I think there was a page on Tesla’s site that said at some point premium connectivity would be a subscription service... maybe internet archive has captured it or something...

Anyway, it does cost them, and possibly a lot. They aren’t a telecommunications provider yet, so all that data is running on someone’s network and they’re buying the data from them. You’re right that they need access to the car for data gathering, but they don’t need to then also pay for the streaming music, streaming video, web browser, or images for the maps. All of that is data that they pay for. Tesla sales people aren’t great at explaining changes, or staying up to date with changes, so you certainly can fault them for that. However, there is a chance Musk tweeted something about a subscription being offered for SR/SR+ and premium interior cars would get a free trial and at that point a support page was created on Tesla’s site.

Kinda sucks, but be glad it’s a reasonable cost. If you were buying this directly from AT&T or Verizon it would be $20 a month and limited to 5 or 10 gig (like a 45 minutes of watching YouTube...)

Reactions: wesley888
Just got an email saying my premium connectivity is ending dec 31, 2019. If you bought you're model 3 after July 1, 2018 premium connectivity is $10/month for streaming music/video, live traffic visualization. Before July 1, 2018 free for the life of the car.

Just got an email saying my premium connectivity is ending dec 31, 2019. If you bought you're model 3 after July 1, 2018 premium connectivity is $10/month for streaming music/video, live traffic visualization. Before July 1, 2018 free for the life of the car.

yep, nov 2018 purchase here. email this morning and subscribed; they figured it out and found me , lol.

• Funny
Reactions: mrau and Matt L
Yea, it was known that it wasn’t lifetime unless you bought before June 18. There are about 4 other threads on the same topic since the emails just went out, and they knew the subscription option was coming.

Premium purchases now are still only good for a year.

Just use your phone as hot spot.

Reactions: McFlurri
I can't say what some deeply buried page might have said, or what other people might have known, but I'd placed my order in 2016, and when I bought the car in December 2018, to the best of my knowledge there was nothing that mentioned that this touted feature of the Premium Interior was temporary.

How is using the phone as hotspot going to put the satellite and traffic updates on the screen?

I am not upset about the charge for premium connectivity. I have been expecting it. Given my delivery date, I got three free months. My criticism is that, unlike most subscription services, we do not have an option for a discounted yearly subscription. I would rather pay a flat yearly fee, than seeing Tesla ding my credit card account every month. Hopefully, in the future we will have that option.

I can't say what some deeply buried page might have said, or what other people might have known, but I'd placed my order in 2016, and when I bought the car in December 2018, to the best of my knowledge there was nothing that mentioned that this touted feature of the Premium Interior was temporary.

How is using the phone as hotspot going to put the satellite and traffic updates on the screen?

I understand. I know it’s frustrating to feel blindsided, but it looks like this was something you might have overlooked.

The navigation will still route appropriately for traffic, it just won’t be displayed. So if a visual representation onscreen of the traffic you’re going to be sitting in is important to you, then the subscription service is the way to go.

For me I don’t think there’s enough value added to pay the fee, so if needed I’ll link through my phone.

you need premium connectivity to drive?

You paid $9k more than SR+ for a better sound system, 30% larger battery, an extra motor to make it AWD, and faster acceleration. LTE based connectivity was always sold as a trial.

I thought premium connectivity was supposed to be free? Attached my order info and thought the $5k premium upgrades was supposed to have live traffic and streaming. I didn't get an email for ours but my parents got the same car and have to pay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191207-032619.png
    Screenshot_20191207-032619.png
    196.7 KB · Views: 65
I thought premium connectivity was supposed to be free? Attached my order info and thought the $5k premium upgrades was supposed to have live traffic and streaming. I didn't get an email for ours but my parents got the same car and have to pay.

premium connectivity is perhaps a bad name for this because premium upgrades used to mean the vegan leather seats, all glass roof, center console, and upgraded stereo system. The connectivity was never included in that and the website said if you don’t order before July 1 2018 then you will eventually have to pay for premium connectivity.