Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is not making money out of LTE connection, so it's fair for them to charge.

And, I think Elon is trying to get their own network in the near future:
TESLARATI on Twitter

So there is no surprise that SpaceX will provide Internet service later on, and Tesla vehicles would benefit from it for FREE again I hope.

Except the antenna isn't small and certainly doesn't use the LTE antenna that are in the existing cars.

Third Row Tesla Podcast on Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: mahagala
Australia and New Zealand convinced Elon to increase the number of people who had lifetime premium connectivity due to misleading information on the Tesla websites in those countries. When I purchased my M3 in March 2019 the Tesla Canada website indicated no end date to premium connectivity. This sounds exactly like Australia and New Zealand and Elon agreed with owners that this was misleading. I think the Canadian Tesla website has said a few different things, but yesterday it was again advertising connectivity with no end date. I have submitted a ticket to regain the lifetime connectivity that was advertised when I purchased my M3 and I have called Tesla customer service. I have been told that if enough Canadian customers get irritated this may change for Canada also. I believe things may be correctly displayed on the American Tesla website. Customer service was quite helpful once they realized Elon has already designated this as a mistake. There's a great news article on this from yesterday.

Reactions: EnigmaEV
I was also under the impression that buying the long range would net me lifetime premium connectivity. That was a differentiator when I bought my M3 last November. Either the website was wrong or at least it was confusing enough that I came to that conclusion. I'm pissed about this news too.

Reactions: WattPwr
I was also under the impression that buying the long range would net me lifetime premium connectivity. That was a differentiator when I bought my M3 last November. Either the website was wrong or at least it was confusing enough that I came to that conclusion. I'm pissed about this news too.
Maybe consider a call to customer service? They have opened a ticket into this, but if they think it's only one customer...

If a person goes onto the Tesla website (desktop version) there's a little button (two letters) in the top right hand corner that allows one to toggle between different countries. It's possible to see that premium connectivity is still being improperly advertised with no expiry in Canada.

I see it advertised as

> Premium Connectivity (1 year included):

Seems accurate?
No, that's not correct for Canada. I was just on the phone with Tesla customer support and they said the same thing. And then they checked. And then there was a very long pause. Finally, it was agreed that the Canadian page is advertising premium connectivity with no expiry date. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will share a screenshot.
Premium Package advertised in Canada 2020.04.29.jpg

Reactions: malou
What is displayed on the website is very important as many customers only see this information and they may not have access to a salesperson. I live in Saskatoon. When I purchased my M3 in March 2019 I specifically searched for information about premium connectivity and it was advertised on the Tesla website as being part of my premium interior. There was no expiry date and no subscription information. I had no access to a salesperson. Therefore, I expected that I had paid for it during my original purchase. What will become a subscription next, my FSD? (Yes, I know that that's in the future.)

What is displayed on the website is very important as many customers only see this information and they may not have access to a salesperson... What will become a subscription next, my FSD?

Absolutely true, when I bought my M3 I based my upgrades on the value each was delivering. Premium interior included satellite view and streaming music and video. Tesla may have a problem reneging on our original purchase contracts.

Interesting. Even the "Partial Premium" for us SR+ owner, while not showing satellite and live traffic, does include "In-car internet streaming music and media".

But I remember knowing when I got mine that the streaming was temporary, just not sure if it was officially written somewhere (and how it was worded) of if it was basic knowledge based on US version or rumors. Did someone checked the official paperwork signed at delivery ?

Capture d’écran, le 2020-04-29 à 22.20.38.png

If you run the configurator, it will show the restriction on the Canadian website, too.
Interestingly, the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement shows "Premium Interior" for $0.00 without any restrictions. However, the connectivity is part of the premium interior and it's not explicitly mentioned in the MVPA. Anyway, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. If I can't watch Netflix anymore while supercharging, I'll just go grab a tea at a nearby Timmies.

Attachments

• Tesla.png
    Tesla.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I think it's important to differentiate the current website vs what was written when you bought the car. The above screenshot 100% doesn't represent what was actually written when I bought mine : Caraoke didn't exist when I bought mine!

In the case of SR+, it didn't even have browser, live traffic or satellite map. The only thing I got from day one, was internet music streaming (but again, no Spotify, everyone got it later).

Ok I see the difference now. It was noted as time limited in the configurator page, but not in the popup/details view. I can see how that would be confusing. Curious to see what, if anything, Tesla will do about it.

Ok I see the difference now. It was noted as time limited in the configurator page, but not in the popup/details view. I can see how that would be confusing. Curious to see what, if anything, Tesla will do about it.

I received an email from customer support this morning. They did not answer my question pertaining to what was advertised on the Canadian webpage when I ordered my M3 in March 2019, but they reiterated that the cut off for lifetime connectivity was 06/30/18. I am going to follow up requesting what the Canadian web page looked like in March, as I know that there was no hint of any expiry date to Premium Connectivity at that time. I have a screen shot of the page in October 2019 and there is no hint of a subscription or expiry. Unfortunately, nothing in any of my sales documents indicate an upcoming expiry to any element of Premium Interior that was advertised as paid for in March 2019.

I understand I may not be having the best attitude. Maybe I should have some breakfast and understand the world is not perfect. However, I believe accurate communication and trust are important. If Tesla is going to continue to grow into the leader of innovation and advancement that I hope for, then it also needs to be accurate and accountable.

Australia and New Zealand convinced Elon to increase the number of people who had lifetime premium connectivity due to misleading information on the Tesla websites in those countries. When I purchased my M3 in March 2019 the Tesla Canada website indicated no end date to premium connectivity. This sounds exactly like Australia and New Zealand and Elon agreed with owners that this was misleading. I think the Canadian Tesla website has said a few different things, but yesterday it was again advertising connectivity with no end date. I have submitted a ticket to regain the lifetime connectivity that was advertised when I purchased my M3 and I have called Tesla customer service. I have been told that if enough Canadian customers get irritated this may change for Canada also. I believe things may be correctly displayed on the American Tesla website. Customer service was quite helpful once they realized Elon has already designated this as a mistake. There's a great news article on this from yesterday.

This is definitely a mistake. Here in Canada, when I bought my AWD ME in October, one of the perks of getting AWD was that premium connectivity was included. I even discussed this with the sales rep. They're was no end date or * on the website with conditions like there were in other regions. I took screenshots and it's there on archive.org.

Reactions: WattPwr
This is definitely a mistake. Here in Canada, when I bought my AWD ME in October, one of the perks of getting AWD was that premium connectivity was included. I even discussed this with the sales rep. They're was no end date or * on the website with conditions like there were in other regions. I took screenshots and it's there on archive.org.

Don't get me wrong, I love to support Tesla and give them my hard earned money, but I don't like being lied to. Tesla customer support mentioned that she actively checks these forums and it is my guess that Tesla will not do anything if Canadians keep calm and don't complain. I checked the Canadian Tesla site today and it was still clear that Premium Connectivity was still being advertised as being part of Premium Connectivity without any subscription or end date. This situation baffles me. At least New Zealand and Australian owners spoke up and got things fixed!

Reactions: InternetDude