Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping I would somehow be spared from this by a miracle glitch. I finalized my order 2 days after June 30th because the AWD game out at the end of June and I waffled for a few days about colour, whether to buy EAP, and for a brief moment entertaining the performance model.

I didn't realize until a few weeks later that I missed the free connectivity by 2 days. Alas, I got the email notification as well :(

For now I'll hold off since I've driven 200 km in the last 4 weeks. I actually lose as much range in phantom drain as I do driving...still wish you could completely shut the car off for a situation like this. My wife's bolt hasn't lost a km of range over this time. Anywho....

Will try seeing how annoying it is to tether wifi each time getting into the car. But at $0.50/day I expect I'll eventually just pony up the $.

• Helpful
Reactions: BBone and Char
I was hoping I would somehow be spared from this by a miracle glitch. I finalized my order 2 days after June 30th because the AWD game out at the end of June and I waffled for a few days about colour, whether to buy EAP, and for a brief moment entertaining the performance model.

I didn't realize until a few weeks later that I missed the free connectivity by 2 days. Alas, I got the email notification as well :(

For now I'll hold off since I've driven 200 km in the last 4 weeks. I actually lose as much range in phantom drain as I do driving...still wish you could completely shut the car off for a situation like this. My wife's bolt hasn't lost a km of range over this time. Anywho....

Will try seeing how annoying it is to tether wifi each time getting into the car. But at $0.50/day I expect I'll eventually just pony up the $.
turn Bluetooth off from you phone and don't open tesla app, this might help.

I use the premium features on road trips and sometimes to google things around town. $15 is far too expensive for my use. Knowing a bit about how much big accounts pay for mobile data, Tesla are making out like bandits on the deal. It's a shame, for $5 a month, Tesla would still be making money and have more people enjoy the full package.

Reactions: malou
I use the premium features on road trips and sometimes to google things around town. $15 is far too expensive for my use. Knowing a bit about how much big accounts pay for mobile data, Tesla are making out like bandits on the deal. It's a shame, for $5 a month, Tesla would still be making money and have more people enjoy the full package.

Agreed
It’s a total scam!
$15 is outrageous. It should be closer to $5-7

IMO, if there's a 1-time fee of $599 for life (of the vehicle) upgrade, it's something I'd opt-in.

But as a monthly package, I just can't justify the extremely limited case that I'd make my money worth and I'd probably only enable it if I were to go on a road trip or something to make sure I have those connectivities when needed.

• Informative
Reactions: BBone
So for us older car owners with non-usable browsers and no youtube, netflix, etc. Are we going to be charged $16 to just stream music?
I doubt that it applies to our cars - here is what is showing on my account. I'm willing to bet yours is the same. I'm fairly certain this only applies to Model 3's and new Model S's.

Capture_connectivity.JPG

I doubt that it applies to our cars - here is what is showing on my account. I'm willing to bet yours is the same. I'm fairly certain this only applies to Model 3's and new Model S's.

View attachment 534501

Makes sense. Mine says the same (just checked). I do find that my cell connectivity is not as good as it was just a few months ago for some reason (e.g. moved to 3g once in a while and the music stops). Getting 1-2 bars max. Wonder if they changed providers or something (I get way more bars on my rogers and bell devices).

Makes sense. Mine says the same (just checked). I do find that my cell connectivity is not as good as it was just a few months ago for some reason (e.g. moved to 3g once in a while and the music stops). Getting 1-2 bars max. Wonder if they changed providers or something (I get way more bars on my rogers and bell devices).
Mine has been like that since I got the car last year. I don't even bother to stream music anymore. I just connect to my cell phone and stream Spotify from there to the car. Even that is a problem as the car reduces the volume of the cell phone as soon as one song finishes. So I have to increase the volume on my cell phone at the beginning of every single song. Very frustrating.

So for us older car owners with non-usable browsers and no youtube, netflix, etc. Are we going to be charged $16 to just stream music?

View attachment 534501

Only cars ordered after June 30 2018 are affected by this. I ordered July 2nd :(

Some people probably abuse that connectivity in term of GB consumes...

A tier system based on usage could be interesting. If you use 0-1 GB it's free, 1-5GB = 5$, then it goes up if you spend more GB/month than you're allowed.

Reactions: martind3
IMO, if there's a 1-time fee of $599 for life (of the vehicle) upgrade, it's something I'd opt-in.

But as a monthly package, I just can't justify the extremely limited case that I'd make my money worth and I'd probably only enable it if I were to go on a road trip or something to make sure I have those connectivities when needed.
That was how I ended up with Sirius radio for life. I think the price was something like $300 or maybe $400, which at the time was something like 3.5 years’ worth of service. It was unclear whether Sirius would last three years. Anyway, that was in 2009 and I’m still listening to Sirius.

Reactions: BBone
Mine has been like that since I got the car last year. I don't even bother to stream music anymore. I just connect to my cell phone and stream Spotify from there to the car. Even that is a problem as the car reduces the volume of the cell phone as soon as one song finishes. So I have to increase the volume on my cell phone at the beginning of every single song. Very frustrating.

Crap. I was thinking of doing that. But adjusting the volume of a cellphone would be a distracted driving violation in BC. That would be $620.

The fine for a single distracted driving violation ticket is $368, along with 4 penalty points that will be applied a driver’s record. On a first infraction, these points will also result in a driver paying a further $252 ICBC Driver Penalty Point premium, for a total of $620 for a first infraction.

Distractions While Driving - Cell Phones and Other Devices - Province of British Columbia

$15/month is starting to look inexpensive. :)

Mine has been like that since I got the car last year. I don't even bother to stream music anymore. I just connect to my cell phone and stream Spotify from there to the car.

The Tesla free music works 95% of the time. I also use

Thats weird. Mine doesnt do that when I stream from my iphone. What is annoying is that my iphone automatically starts playing when I enter the car. I dont hear it as it plays to bluetooth and the car input is not set to phone but it will continue to play forever until I stop it.

Thats weird. Mine doesnt do that when I stream from my iphone. What is annoying is that my iphone automatically starts playing when I enter the car. I dont hear it as it plays to bluetooth and the car input is not set to phone but it will continue to play forever until I stop it.
Mine does the same thing, but I'm OK with that as that is what I prefer anyway, play music from my phone as soon as I get into the car so long as the Spotify app is open on my phone, it just plays automatically.

Tesla is not making money out of LTE connection, so it's fair for them to charge.

And, I think Elon is trying to get their own network in the near future:
TESLARATI on Twitter

So there is no surprise that SpaceX will provide Internet service later on, and Tesla vehicles would benefit from it for FREE again I hope.

Last edited: