Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity scam from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else feel like they have been scammed by Tesla on the Premium connectivity? I have my second Model S now and it was delivered in Dec 23, 2018. I was told when i purchased my first one that all of the features would always be included because that is what Tesla is all about. 3 years later I upgraded to a MS 100D from my MS 70D and was never told anything would change.

My sales person confirmed that when I bought the new car there was no information available that would suggest differently and after my last update a month ago it now shows the Connectivity will end May 17, 2020. This is 17 months after i purchased my car. Now the website is backdated saying any car after July 2018 is not free. This seems scammy and illegal to do it after the fact.

I am considering taking Tesla to small claims court because i feel that they have taken away features that I purchased. What's next? they will charge a wheel bearing fee??

What are your thoughts?

Does anyone else feel like they have been scammed by Tesla on the Premium connectivity? I have my second Model S now and it was delivered in Dec 23, 2018. I was told when i purchased my first one that all of the features would always be included because that is what Tesla is all about. 3 years later I upgraded to a MS 100D from my MS 70D and was never told anything would change.

My sales person confirmed that when I bought the new car there was no information available that would suggest differently and after my last update a month ago it now shows the Connectivity will end May 17, 2020. This is 17 months after i purchased my car. Now the website is backdated saying any car after July 2018 is not free. This seems scammy and illegal to do it after the fact.

I am considering taking Tesla to small claims court because i feel that they have taken away features that I purchased. What's next? they will charge a wheel bearing fee??

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts? You are wrong. The website was changed long ago. The 1 July '18 date has been well known for a long time. Take them to court though. Waste your time and your money. And just because you don't like something does not also include being insulting on the company's known policy.

Reactions: JøhP
@ucmndd, Yes, you are correct. We can go back even further and rumor was that we would only get it for a year, then we would have to start paying. Then we were told to expect to have to pay starting in Jan/Feb '14. But that's when the word was spread that it would be four years. I said, the word was spread, because we didn't see an official email or announcement from Tesla about that policy. So, it looks like that original estimate or date of about 4 years was accurate, because in spring of '18, the web site changed to report and sales people started telling us we would have to start paying on cars after 1 July. Frankly, I can't recall if it was cars bought after or ordered after 1 July. But the date was definitely 1 July '18.

Last edited:
Its not about how someone feels. It may be about how they think. What was the car salesman supposed to say? Wasn't he reporting the information he was told by the company?

Not that it makes any difference to you, but I too bought FSD when I purchased my '17. I am viewing the shore from the same boat you are in.

Last edited:
Reactions: P100D_Me
I feel like I got scammed buying FSD. 2017 when I bought the car salesman told us another 1-2 months FSD will be here
I was very much one of the noobs taken in by the AP 2.0 announcement and that magically faked “self driving” video.

Full scam. Grifters. Fraud. All of it. Certainly learned my lesson and I tell everyone that will listen to NEVER give Tesla money based on the promised delivery of a future product or capability.

But this isn’t the same. This is just someone having an expectation that didn’t line up with published reality, reinforced by the meaningless ephemeral words of a salesperson in the middle of a sale.

I was very much one of the noobs taken in by the AP 2.0 announcement and that magically faked “self driving” video.

Full scam. Grifters. Fraud. All of it. Certainly learned my lesson and I tell everyone that will listen to NEVER give Tesla money based on the promised delivery of a future product or capability.

But this isn’t the same. This is just someone having an expectation that didn’t line up with published reality, reinforced by the meaningless ephemeral words of a salesperson in the middle of a sale.

Me too. I totally was fooled and bought my car because of FSD. I even paid before delivery. I think it is a slam dunk fraud lawsuit but I never bothered. And I'm an attorney! Just not worth my time unfortunately.

But I agree no claim here because there was a previously announced policy. Frankly Tesla did us early buyers a big favor throwing in free data because I'm keeping my car as long as I can now and upgrading the MCU and I'll use data way more once the kids are older.

What is “premium” about the connectivity?
There are now two versions of connectivity:
  • Basic connectivity provides maps, firmware updates, connectivity to the mothership
  • Premium connectivity provides satellite maps (the google satellite view), Tune-In, Spotify, slacker, movies, youtube, web browsing, etc. in addition to basic connectivity. Premium can either be pay by the month or (for those who have it) unlimited for no charge. Everyone who bought before July 1, 2018 is grandfathered with free premium connectivity.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
it is $99 per year so it is not a deciding factor for any car buying or keeping old cars without upgrading. Other car manufacturers who offer connectivity do the same at much higher costs. Compared to FSD that was never delivered, you could have got 50 years of free premium connectivity for the price of FSD, just saying...

it is $99 per year so it is not a deciding factor for any car buying or keeping old cars without upgrading. Other car manufacturers who offer connectivity do the same at much higher costs. Compared to FSD that was never delivered, you could have got 50 years of free premium connectivity for the price of FSD, just saying...
No disagreement. I paid that much for my slacker account and now pay that much for my Spotify account (dropped slacker). I think it is well worth it given the features you get in the car. For those with MCU1 upgrading to MCU2, its damn near essential because you lose the radio tuner in the upgrade (at least for now). The good news is all those cars are grandfathered in to the free premium for life...

I feel like I got scammed buying FSD. 2017 when I bought the car salesman told us another 1-2 months FSD will be here

Mine is also a 2017 Model S and I purchased the FSD software, and two months ago I went ahead with the Infotainment Upgrade which means I also got my HW3. They wil give you the HW3 if you have repurchased the FSD Software. Submit a service ticket from your app and let them know you want to either (1) Just get your free HW3 upgrade or (2) You want to purchase the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade and also get your HW3. They will triage your ticket, confirm if your VIN qualifies right now and get back to you. Not all VINs quality for it right now, but they will in the coming months.

Details about the Infotainment Upgrade = Infotainment Upgrade

Me too. I totally was fooled and bought my car because of FSD. I even paid before delivery. I think it is a slam dunk fraud lawsuit but I never bothered. And I'm an attorney! Just not worth my time unfortunately.

But I agree no claim here because there was a previously announced policy. Frankly Tesla did us early buyers a big favor throwing in free data because I'm keeping my car as long as I can now and upgrading the MCU and I'll use data way more once the kids are older.

The Infotainment Upgrade will get you the HW3... It does feel like a brand new Tesla once you get it. Had mine done in March, and it's a HUGE difference. Feels like a brand new Tesla. And how that I have HW3, the updated software that supports all the new FSD features are pretty cool.

Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Reactions: Akikiki