Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity & Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read it again. It says

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program

You should read a copy of your ACTUAL battery warranty document. Here is what mine said for my 2013 P85 (which I bought in 2016, after the blog post you mention) So the post never extended the warranty of those original S60s.

battery warranty.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
You should read a copy of your ACTUAL battery warranty document. Here is what mine said for my 2013 P85 (which I bought in 2016, after the blog post you mention) So the post never extended the warranty of those original S60s.

View attachment 485927
I'm not too worried about it. I'm aware of what this says but my local sc and mobile ranger confirmed I have a drive unit and battery warranty until june 2021 which would be 8 years and unlimited mileage. My battery is a 75kwh pack from 2017 so I'm personally not too concerned as I haven't lost any range in almost 1 year.

Inconsistency is one thing Elon and tesla do consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors
Yes it should

no, per the link you sent it will NOT, unless perhaps it was transferred private party. They explicitly state that used vehicles purchased after July 1, 2018 will have “premium” connectivity stripped. Further, purchasers were not made aware of this plan at the time of their transactions earlie lt this year...at least I know I was not. I doubt that link has been available for more than a month. Complete garbage.

no, per the link you sent it will NOT, unless perhaps it was transferred private party. They explicitly state that used vehicles purchased after July 1, 2018 will have “premium” connectivity stripped. Further, purchasers were not made aware of this plan at the time of their transactions earlie lt this year...at least I know I was not. I doubt that link has been available for more than a month. Complete garbage.
If you purchased it thru Tesla then no but if it's a private party sale it will keep the premium connectivity.

Reactions: Salvo
If you purchased it thru Tesla then no but if it's a private party sale it will keep the premium connectivity.

It’s still complete rubbish, since the Tesla used buyers were not informed this was part of their deal. At least with the supercharging , they made an announcement at the time stating they were removing it. With this, it’s just a wave of the magic wand and a completely arbitrary date.

Terrible business practice, but based on what I’ve seen in general I’m not terribly surprised. I’m sure people will be lining up to buy vehicles that can have functionality removed at any time, on arbitrary timeframes.

Reactions: Huachipato and iRia
Read it again. It says

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program
Right. Referring to the drive unit, which is the subject of that post, not the battery.

The warranty on the original 60kwh battery is, and always has been, 8 years and 125k miles.

bought my 2016 90D in october 2019.. logging in to my account, my premium connectivity expires 12 months from my purchase date so oct, 2020. so, at least getting full year of it unlike some posting here. they aren't getting $10 a month from me... doesn't make sense for a MCU1 car especially.. maybe if they fix the browser? :)

Um...did you expect Tesla to give you an inconsistency that benefited you? It's a company struggling to turn a profit, Seriously, be happy with the excellent product you purchased and get over it.
Short answer, yes, but not because I feel entitled to it or for any social justice or similar reasons. Simply, if the inconsistencies are truly just random mistakes, they should have a random distribution as far as which party benefits from the mistake. For example, if a store clerk is bad at making change, they would sometimes give too much change, other times too little. When a clerk claims to be bad at making change but always shortchanges the customer, their claim of "I just make mistakes" is not very believable.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Short answer, yes, but not because I feel entitled to it or for any social justice or similar reasons. Simply, if the inconsistencies are truly just random mistakes, they should have a random distribution as far as which party benefits from the mistake. For example, if a store clerk is bad at making change, they would sometimes give too much change, other times too little. When a clerk claims to be bad at making change but always shortchanges the customer, their claim of "I just make mistakes" is not very believable.
Touche. But I still stand by my comments. Let's celebrate our great vehicles and Duke it out with our Cybertrucks when they finally arrive.

View attachment 485927

Interesting, mine shows slightly different wording. More precisely, "unlimited miles" is missing. It's a 2016 75D.

Got this by clicking "learn more" next to the warranty section in my account. Assuming it's meant for my car, not just a generic doc.

b.jpg

Interesting, mine shows slightly different wording. More precisely, "unlimited miles" is missing. It's a 2016 75D.

Got this by clicking "learn more" next to the warranty section in my account. Assuming it's meant for my car, not just a generic doc.

View attachment 485950

Unlimited is implied

Covered for a period if 8 years (mileage not mentioned thus implying unlimited)

EXCEPT

Original 60kWh which is covered for 8 years OR 125k miles whichever comes first.

Yes it should
Nope. Used bought after June 2018 get one year and then have to pay. Really 120 a year is fine no biggie. But would have been nice to get an email and not read about this on the web. Their website has been incorrect for months. For example. I have a 2 year up to 100k warranty through Tesla from May of this year. I just passed the 50k mark and it states no warranty. I have it in writing but many other used are likely in the same boat.

well, i know i just saved my sales advisor email from my first exchange with her where in her form letter response she 8 year /directly said unlimited if it ever becomes an issue. which i had more evidence than that. luckily im unlikely to exceed the mileage

There are so many inconsistencies with all this so who really knows who will get charged what and when if anyone gets charged anything at all.

Tesla and Elon seem to be masters at wording there documents/emails/blog posts to be confusing so they can say no to a warranty now or in the future if they so chose.

Reactions: whitex
bought my 2016 90D in october 2019.. logging in to my account, my premium connectivity expires 12 months from my purchase date so oct, 2020. so, at least getting full year of it unlike some posting here. they aren't getting $10 a month from me... doesn't make sense for a MCU1 car especially.. maybe if they fix the browser? :)

I really don’t get the fuss over the browser. I see some people are using it for Waze. Anything else? You’d really pay $120/year just for the browser??

I really don’t get the fuss over the browser. I see some people are using it for Waze. Anything else? You’d really pay $120/year just for the browser??
I don't think is so much about using the browser, rather MCU1 cars would be paying for it and not able to use it. Same with Netflix and Youtube. Essentially, we would be paying the premium price for it, but can't use it.