Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, we purchased a Tesla Y in July 2021. It appears like we have the Year of Premium Connectivity/Internet...all the streaming and Navigation work while driving & Shows LTE signal bars, etc.

a. I was trying to double check/confirm this, but when logged into our Tesla Account, it shows that we can "Subscribe" to Premium Connectivity for $9.95/month? Shouldn't it show we've got a free year? Is this supposed to be subscribe "after our free period", or am I wrong assuming we have the year of Premium included?

b. How I got on this investigation, is its not clear how I can connect my kids Kindle's devices to the car's wifi "hotspot"? Ie. does it have a Hotspot? I can't see an area that has Wi-Fi network name or Pwd - clicking wifi only seems like the screen for me to Connect the Car to another wifi (ie. my house, or my phone, etc.).

Also, since it is LTE type data connection, does anyone know how to find the phone number (or similar) associated with the data? (question is whether I can add this phone # or device to my Google Account & "send directions" from other apps to the car. I know this is a longshot, but was wondering since it appears like mobile/cellular internet connection.

Whether you’re subbed or not, the LTE bar is there as non subbers still get non-premium connectivity. You cannot use PC as hotspot for devices and you can’t get a number associated with it. It’s like if your iPad has LTE, it just provides internet connection without needing WiFi.

I’d consider the service worth subscribing to if it can be used as hotspot for kids’ devices.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
a. All 2021 model Y's come with one year of premium connectivity. I think the subscription is for when your free one year is over

b. There's no hot spot

There's no phone number associated to the LTE. If you open google maps on your phone you can share the location to the tesla app and it will send it to your Y

I was wondering about this. Seems cumbersome. Can you describe the steps?
Search for a destination using Google Maps, Apple Maps. Select Share; scroll until you see the Tesla logo; click and done. The next time you enter your Tesla vehicle the destination (not the route) will appear on the Tesla Navigation screen. This also works with Contacts, sends the address to your Tesla when you share with your Tesla vehicle.

So a little confused. If I have a Model X and pay for premium connectivity (10.00/month) can I connect my kids iPad (wifi only) to the Tesla and utilize its LTE for them to stream their Netflix etc.?
No. Premium connectivity allows the car to receive data for streaming music, Netflix, etc. It does not create a Wi-fi hotspot that would allow you to share the data connection with other devices.

GM's OnStar offering is currently a 4G LTE service. OnStar has service plans for remote vehicle access, vehicle location services, safety and security. There are also OnStar data plans for Wi-Fi connectivity of up to 7 devices. The current OnStar Premium Access Plan includes up to 2GB of data (per month.) You can add a data plan to an existing OnStar Plan. 1.5GB of OnStar data currently costs $15/mo, 5 GB of OnStar data costs $35/mo. 11 GB of OnStar data currently costs $70/mo. When I had my Chevy Volt I had an OnStar service plan and a data plan. I used between 2 GB and 3 GB per month while streaming music.

By using the vehicle's data plan you don't use your phone's data plan. The vehicle may have better 4G LTE reception than the phone depending on the location and the phone network.

Last edited:
Reactions: El joe
GM's OnStar offering is currently a 4G LTE service. OnStar has service plans for remote vehicle access, vehicle location services, safety and security. There are also OnStar data plans for Wi-Fi connectivity of up to 7 devices. The current OnStar Premium Access Plan includes up to 2GB of data (per month.) You can add a data plan to an existing OnStar Plan. 1.5GB of OnStar data currently costs $15/mo, 5 GB of OnStar data costs $35/mo. 11 GB of OnStar data currently costs $70/mo. When I had my Chevy Volt I had an OnStar service plan and a data plan. I used between 2 GB and 3 GB per month while streaming music.

By using the vehicle's data plan you don't use your phone' data plan. The vehicle may have better 4G LTE reception than the phone depending on the location and the phone network.
Exactly why I got it on my Bolt. Better connectivity for multiple devices when using GM’s rather than my phone’s hotspot. For $0.50-ish a day, it was well worth it.

Whether you’re subbed or not, the LTE bar is there as non subbers still get non-premium connectivity. You cannot use PC as hotspot for devices and you can’t get a number associated with it. It’s like if your iPad has LTE, it just provides internet connection without needing WiFi.

I’d consider the service worth subscribing to if it can be used as hotspot for kids’ devices.

Yup. When I learned that it can't be used as a hotspot I decided to let it laps after my free year.

Keith

a. All 2021 model Y's come with one year of premium connectivity. I think the subscription is for when your free one year is over

b. There's no hot spot

There's no phone number associated to the LTE. If you open google maps on your phone you can share the location to the tesla app and it will send it to your Y
On the model Y order page now, its showing only 30 day free if you order now….