Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Sound - Weak Rear Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, the sound system in my new P85D really sucks.

My other car is a Bentley Flying Spur Speed, with the Naim $10K, 1,500 watt, 15 speakers sound system.

I have never found ANY system that compares to it, even after market setups.

So that surely biases my opinion, but at least they could have put auto-volume control on it.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Are you SURE the premium sound system has MASSIVE wattage???

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure there is MASSIVE wattage?

Hello All,

I just got my P85D last week. I too ordered the upgraded sound system for $2,500.00 more. I selected every option available (except the Cold weather package, as I live in Houston Texas). I always do this with any car I own, I think it helps with resale in the future. Since I never owned a tesla with the standard sound system I cannot compare. Does the standard sound system come with all the same apps? IE what is the main difference in the 2? The reason I ask is I also am sorely disappointed in the sound system. I do know that there is a sever lack of power (AMP Wattage) and I understand this because POWER takes power. Most mega watt system need a 00 cable ran to them. If you put a 1,000 watt amplifier in this car, you would be lucky to get to the end of your driveway. Another very SORE spot with me is the lack of automatic volume control. MOST cars now days (at a lot lower prices) have that ability. I doubt if you will ever get a electric car to have super sound. But at least the volume could go up as speed increases, AND down as speed decreases.

Larry

I believe automatic volume increase with speed was added in firmware 6.1. You can't control now much it increases though.

I agree, the sound system in my new P85D really sucks.

My other car is a Bentley Flying Spur Speed, with the Naim $10K, 1,500 watt, 15 speakers sound system.

I have never found ANY system that compares to it, even after market setups.

So that surely biases my opinion, but at least they could have put auto-volume control on it.

Larry

Yes, the premium sound compared to my Gulfstream G650 private jet and 105ft Mega Yacht is not good at all. #FirstWorldProblems

Most mega watt system need a 00 cable ran to them. If you put a 1,000 watt amplifier in this car, you would be lucky to get to the end of your driveway.

Your math is off by a couple orders of magnitude.

A 1,000W system, or 1kW, running full blast for an hour would use 1kWh. 1kWh is only about 3 miles of range.

You'd need to put a 100,000 watt amplifier in this car to drain the main battery enough to put getting down the driveway at risk. :)

Your math is off by a couple orders of magnitude.

A 1,000W system, or 1kW, running full blast for an hour would use 1kWh. 1kWh is only about 3 miles of range.

You'd need to put a 100,000 watt amplifier in this car to drain the main battery enough to put getting down the driveway at risk. :)

Sweeeeet! That would be one rocking ride down the driveway!

I believe automatic volume increase with speed was added in firmware 6.1. You can't control now much it increases though.

I don't remember if that was the case but bearing in mind how quiet this car is, I've never even thought about this feature. I just set a volume and forget. I have no conscious recollection of having to turn up volume when at highway speed. I guess if the tire noise was really aggressive? Other than that, if we had a wind speed measurement that might have some bearing on it. I've had this feature in a few cars before but this is one I have never missed.

I think most many of us have an issue with the price of the UHFS upgrade. $2,500 can go a pretty long way in the aftermarket car audio world.

If the UHFS package was more reasonably priced (say around $1,000) you wouldn't be getting quite as many posts about "disappointment " b/c the upgrade price is more reasonable/marginal. as it stands, the upgrade is not really a great value.

Not sure I agree with the above. Seems to me the UHFS is good rather than excellent and significantly better than standard.
However $2500 is nowhere near as costly as some high end systems in cars.
And could you get better value with aftermarket, yes of course - as is pretty much always the case with any manufacturer.

I am still interested to hear (pun-sorry) whether the "updated Codec" in 6.2 makes an observable difference, which it may well do as many comments refer to what I summarize as an an "over-processed" nature to the SQ, which is typical of average DSP coding. Hopefully not long to release now.

The "downside" I've seen is that the threads that I've read about aftermarket stereos are owners who got upgrades from the UHFS system, rather than the standard system. I have no problem spending $2,500 on a nice aftermarket system, but would want to do that from the standard system. $5k is too much for me to spend on the sound system alone. As a background, every car I have previously owned have had stock systems.

I find that if you turn off the Dolby Setting it helps with this significantly. Also, fun fact, if you bluetooth a tablet or phone, etc... and watch a movie on it, the car will actually work with full surround sound. I did this on a long trip from Boston to Austin while sleeping in the back. So sick to have full surround functionality in the car.

Hello happy Tesla owners (will join in June - can't wait).

I know there are already many threads about Premium Sound VS Standard Sound.
This is why, in this thread I would like to focus on Premium Sound only.
Not debating whether it is worth upgrading or not.

I would say I have a fairly good experience about what hi-fi sound can be.
I am a long-time Hi-Fi enthusiast, have a deep-in-the-5-digits-range set-up at home and owned several cars with high end sound.
For most Hi-Fi enthusiasts (including me), premium sound is not about booming sound but immersive and true-live sound.
The absolute set-up would be the one where you cannot tell anymore if the band is playing for real around you, or if it is just your set-up playing.

It is also very important that you cannot tell anymore where the speakers are - they have to completely blend away.

With closed eyes it should become impossible to tell where the speakers are with a true hi-fi set-up, when you are in the sweet spot.
Well, now, back to the Tesla hi-fi premium sound, using uncompressed hi-res flac audio files on USB key.

Of course, I understand a car hi-fi set-up can not beat a premium home set-up, nor can a 2.500 € car set-up beat a 10.000 € car set-up.

But still...

To my ears, the Tesla premium sound is not immersive enough.

I hear way to much the sound coming from the driver side speaker, and from the front in general.

For testing purpose, I played pushing the sound into each corner of the car.

When the sound is fully pushed to the back speakers the problem seems quite obvious.
The sound is very weak back there, even when pushed to max volume.

Again, I am not talking about booming sound, but all-range sound.
And I am not talking about lound sound neither but good balanced sound.

This is to the point where I am wondering if the back speakers are working or are defective, or are they massively underpowered ?

I feel a very obvious Front/Back Balance problem.
Is it just me, or was it a bad car (I did this test in a demo car - my S85D will be delivered (with hi-fi sound) in early June (in Europe)).
Have I not played enough with the settings (I have played quite some time though).
Have I not found the child protection back sound security switch level ?
Is this better in more recently built cars (some components changed in stealth mode) ?
Will the new Codecs change something (I guess not, since it was a stereo recording so the codecs are not involved in front / back distribution) ?

I hope it was just a defective car.
Do you experience the same thing (Try maxing rear volume, compared to front).Or not ?

Thanks a lot.

Of course, I am still very enthusiast about the car in general - and the wait becomes exponentially painful.
But obviously... this sound thing bothers me somehow.

I find that if you turn off the Dolby Setting it helps with this significantly. Also, fun fact, if you bluetooth a tablet or phone, etc... and watch a movie on it, the car will actually work with full surround sound. I did this on a long trip from Boston to Austin while sleeping in the back. So sick to have full surround functionality in the car.

Now that is cool.

David100

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I got my P85D last monday, but since I drove it right to my detailer for ceramic pro coating I didnt have much time to play with it before today.

I did some quick testing on the sound today, and I think my rear hatch speakers play fairly loud, but they dont play lower frequencies very good. Fading all backwards results in somewhat poor sound quality since you wont get much midbass (80-400hz or so)
Its worth noting that I havent really played much yet, so the speakers isnt properly broken in, but I think this is a general problem if you fade the sound all to the rear.

However I'm very happy with the sound system on my D overall, I think it plays better than my old P85. I think a large portion of this is thanks to the better sound proofening in the newer cars. I find that there is far less unwanted resonances and unwanted ratteling/noise compared to the old car. The higher frequencies also sounds crisper. Not sure this is because changes in the software, or hardware though.

Since getting 6.2 I have been observing the sound carefully and to be honest my initial feeling was that it was worse. Primarily I was listening to slacker at the time but I couldn't really put my finger on why. I've since tried playing music on a USB thumb drive using music copied from iTunes. My impression now, ratified by my son the musician, is that it might be better, and moving the fade rearwards has more of the effect described by the OP. Very subjective so interested to hear if others feel the same.