Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prep for being off-charger for 2 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S P100D that will be in a non-Tesla body shop (actually a Ford dealership - Tesla Service Centers are sparse in Mississippi) for about 2 weeks to have a minor road-damage ding/scratch repaired. No dents but scratches re-painted and wrap replaced on repaired panels.

I know I’ll need to instruct them in using “Jack Mode” in case they decide to jack the car up for some reason and also it won’t be plugged in for the time it is there. I’ll be dropping it off with them at about 70% SOC.

I’m a recent (2 months) first-time Tesla owner so I was wondering if anyone has any other issues that I should consider.

Any suggestions from you owners more experienced than me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you turn off mobile access and don’t use sentry (which you likely cannot because of repairs), daily vampire drain should be limited to ~5 to 7 miles max. Make sure they don’t turn on AC obviously. Charge to 100% before drive into shop and see if you can increase that 70%. And then leave them your charging cable just in case they need to help out. Sounds like they aren’t cutting power during repairs?

Thanks SoCal Buzz and EVRider-FL.

I hadn’t thought about making sure the AC is off (duh - I should have thought of that). Leaving the charging cable is another good idea I hadn’t thought of. I can’t see why they would need to cut power during repairs but if they leave the door(s) and/or frunk open for long periods, the interior and compartment lights could possibly add to battery drain (unless those lights automatically turn off after a short period of time - I don’t know if that’s true).

Anyway, thank you for your excellent suggestions.

You can turn off AC by pressing and holding the center AC “button” for a few seconds, but not sure it will stay off when door is closed and opened again. Perhaps saving to new temp driver profile with AC off, and see if that sticks. You could also use that to keep Sentry off.

You can turn off AC by pressing and holding the center AC “button” for a few seconds, but not sure it will stay off when door is closed and opened again. Perhaps saving to new temp driver profile with AC off, and see if that sticks. You could also use that to keep Sentry off.
Good idea. I’ll create a new temporary driver profile with the AC and Sentry modes OFF. I don’t know whether it’ll stick, either, but it’s worth a try.
Thanks

I think I'll create a driver profile named SERV and switch to it when I leave the car for any kind of service. I'll turn off the AC and Sentry mode and save that profile with these settings. That way I should be able to just change back to my normal personal profile when I pick up the car.

I'm getting some really good and useful suggestions from y'all. (I'm from the South - it's how we talk.)

Thanks.

And then leave them your charging cable just in case they need to help out.
It's always a good idea to leave the 5-15 ("normal wall plug") adapter attached and show them how to use the UMC. Five minutes out of your time that comes in handy if they end up having it for longer.

Also, if you want to be a "helicopter parent" check that state-of-charge (SOC) on the phone app every few days. If it gets below 20%, then maybe give them a call to ask if they can plug in.

"Funny" story.... When my M3P was in for service (brake pads) with Tesla there were supply issues so my car sat in the winter cold for a few weeks. Even Tesla needed to be reminded to plug the vehicle in periodically.

I won’t sweat it too much, 2 weeks is no big deal. I have done that a few times on trips and left the car at the airport. If you are at 70% plus it would be fine. Make sure:
  1. Turn summon standby off
  2. Turn HVAC off
  3. Turn sentry mode off
I would leave mobile access on so you can see what’s going on. You should loss maybe 2% day tops. Sentry and summon standby will cause you to loss 5% a day. Sentry mode is useful, summon standby is total waste of energy.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz