Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, everyone! I can't really find a thread on this, so I figured I'd just post and ask. 🤷‍♂️

My family and I are moving from Utah to Texas for a job opportunity and we're able to ship our cars due to a generous relocation package. I already have a booking with SGT Auto and they are planning to pick up our 2022 AWD LR M3 this Monday. Is there anything I should do in order to prepare it for the journey? Should I charge it to 100%? Should I keep sentry mode on? Will I need to show them how to put it into transport mode? Should I fold the mirrors?

I've never done this before and have only had the car for about 3 months and wanna do my best to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Thanks in advance! Love this car and love this community. 🤘

Solution
Were it me, I'd put the car into Valet Mode which limits power/speed and locks the glovebox and frunk. You'll need to give the driver/moving company a keycard to access the vehicle but I assume you would already do this in order for them to move it off/on the transporter. I would not use Transport Mode as it has a limitation on the distance you can move the car (~30 feet according to the manual) and is really meant for whinching / towing a disabled vehicle a short distance. This assumes that they are either using a single vehicle flatbed or a multi-vehicle transporter; i.e., all four wheels off the ground. In the latter case, it is sometimes required that they move vehicles around so you probably don't want to do anything which...
Were it me, I'd put the car into Valet Mode which limits power/speed and locks the glovebox and frunk. You'll need to give the driver/moving company a keycard to access the vehicle but I assume you would already do this in order for them to move it off/on the transporter. I would not use Transport Mode as it has a limitation on the distance you can move the car (~30 feet according to the manual) and is really meant for whinching / towing a disabled vehicle a short distance. This assumes that they are either using a single vehicle flatbed or a multi-vehicle transporter; i.e., all four wheels off the ground. In the latter case, it is sometimes required that they move vehicles around so you probably don't want to do anything which might cause repositioning problems for them. If your car is going onto one of those two-level transporters, ask if it's possible for them to keep your car on the top level. Being on the bottom means the possibility of other vehicles leaking stuff onto your car. But that also means it might be more exposed to the elements and low bridges :eek:.

As for charging and Sentry Mode, I'd get it close to 100% right before leaving on the estimated three-day long trip and enable Sentry. Your car should disable Sentry once your state of charge lowers to 20% but you should have enough charge for Sentry to last five days if you start out near 100%. I myself would not worry too much about the mirrors being folded but you can enable autofold and ask that they lock your car during transport. I would hope that they do that with all of the vehicles they move around as leaving them unlocked might open the company up to legal issues if thieves decide to look inside.

• Helpful
Reactions: samuelffrancis
Upvote 0
Solution