Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preparations for a 2500 mile trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having taken many trips of that length or longer:

1. Pack clothes and other items.
2. Check tire pressure (increase slightly to compensate for the extra load)
3. Stow UMC in car. (also CHAdeMO adapter if you have one)
4. Check for tire plug repair kit, pressure gauge, breaker bar, torque wrench.
5. Charge and load jumpstart kit.
6. Cooler with food and drink (not so important if you are eating at restaurants by the SC).
7. Cellphone charge cable.
8. Car cleaning equipment and towels.

In winter add blankets and candles.

If you are bringing a cooler for 2500 miles, then consider this product: All > Heavy Duty Re-Usable (HDR)

I use only the Heavy-Duty Re-usable Techni-ICE™ ice packs in my Igloo cooler with amazing results. Nothing else like it. Refreeze at night in a small hotel/motel fridge helps with longer trips, but your results will vary with the limited space to freeze.

Here is a video showing the hydration of the ice pack:

Want automated hydration? Techni-ICE can also be placed in an agitator type washing machine with some clean towels on a regular wash cycle without the spin cycle. Make sure washing machine is clean and free from soap residue. Use only plain water. After they have fully expanded, dry them off, place in the freezer for 24 hours and they are ready for use. No additional hydration is needed for the Heavy-Duty Re-usable packs, just put them back in the freezer after use.

Optionally, you can keep the Techni-ICE pack in a plastic bag for improved handling between freezer and ice chest.

Last edited:
Reactions: vrykolas
Having taken many trips of that length or longer:

1. Pack clothes and other items.
2. Check tire pressure (increase slightly to compensate for the extra load)
3. Stow UMC in car. (also CHAdeMO adapter if you have one)
4. Check for tire plug repair kit, pressure gauge, breaker bar, torque wrench.
5. Charge and load jumpstart kit.
6. Cooler with food and drink (not so important if you are eating at restaurants by the SC).
7. Cellphone charge cable.
8. Car cleaning equipment and towels.

In winter add blankets and candles.
Have you ever needed to use the jumpstart kit and how would you use it with a Tesla?

Have you ever needed to use the jumpstart kit and how would you use it with a Tesla?
The one I have comes with a tire inflator. I have used it a couple of times for topping up the tires in the morning at RV parks. I could also use it if the 12V battery died to start the car, or to play Good Samaritan (though I haven't actually had the opportunity to use it for either of those cases).

most of the suggestions offered are of value, but nobody has mentioned the needs to plan your trip, time spent in preparation could save you a lot of time and anxiety when you out on the roads.
knowing ALL of your charging options, where you only need short SC stops and where you could plan meals in order to combine it with a long charging session are easier to plan before embarkation. In addition you should load aps like plugshare, chargepoint, rvparky in order to identify charging options when off the SC routes or in case of emergency detours. finally try to stay overnight in places that have HPWCs for use.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Z
...plan your trip...
Here is my favorite place to plan:

supercharge.info

Click a dot and "add to route". Repeat for the next Supercharger. Enjoy viewing accurate mileage between Superchargers.

From the pop up, you can zoom in for a close up view, get a summary of details, see the Tesla web page, and view the thread where visitors discuss and ask questions about the Supercharger location.

Last edited:
most of the suggestions offered are of value, but nobody has mentioned the needs to plan your trip, time spent in preparation could save you a lot of time and anxiety when you out on the roads.
knowing ALL of your charging options, where you only need short SC stops and where you could plan meals in order to combine it with a long charging session are easier to plan before embarkation. In addition you should load aps like plugshare, chargepoint, rvparky in order to identify charging options when off the SC routes or in case of emergency detours. finally try to stay overnight in places that have HPWCs for use.
I have never stopped at an RV Park for the purposes of charging. What do you say to the management of an RV Park when you just want to stop there for charging? Do you offer to pay a certain fee, is there a better time of the day to show up, etc?

I have never stopped at an RV Park for the purposes of charging. What do you say to the management of an RV Park when you just want to stop there for charging? Do you offer to pay a certain fee, is there a better time of the day to show up, etc?

I call ahead a few weeks in advance--assuming it's not one I've been to before and already know their policies. Some require reservations, some you just show up, and the cost is ranges from free to expensive. Each one is different. Be sure you ask for a 50 amp RV plug. Not one RV Park operator knows what a NEMA 14-50 is.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Z
I have never used one myself however I carry a 30 foot extension cord and I have the app rvparkey because it is wise to have many tools available to you, you never know when you might need an emergency charging stop. the other contributor spelled out how it works at RV parks

• Funny
Reactions: daroon
I just completed a 3,500 mile round trip in my Model X. I highly recommend destination charging. It's so nice to start the day with a full (overnight) charge. Combined with available superchargers, that was all we needed to go from Central PA to Key West and return.

I also recommend the advance use of evtripplaner.com to plan your trip. You can enter any destination charging sites you plan to stay at, and the software will determine which superchargers to use, then provide routing directions for the whole trip.

I also recommend the advance use of evtripplaner.com to plan your trip.
Here is the link: EV Trip Planner

Model X is not listed yet. Use a similar S model with your nearest tire size. I would suggest to set the Speed Multiplier to 1.25 to help give more accurate results for Model X until the web site is updated with Model X P90D. If others have found a lower multiplier to use, please share what you recommend.

After pressing the "Route Thru Superchargers" button you can delete the Superchargers you don't want to stop at the upper left and add the ones you want by clicking the map icons and choosing "Charge Here".

Last edited:
Reactions: vrykolas