Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preservation on that New Car Smell... forever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opened the garage to get the lawn mower out and had to open the door and sit in the M3 for a second. But after 4188 miles and 22c warmth it seems to still be building up that lovely new smell inside it was... exhilarating. How is everyone else fairing?

• Funny
Reactions: alexGS
I have the Chemical Guys New Car Smell (been using it for years)...it definitely has a plasticky off-gassing smell that dominates true new car scent. It isn't, however, identical to Tesla new car scent....it is more similar to European car new car scent IMO. In any case, it works fine but has incredibly poor durability. Basically spray it this afternoon and it is completely dissipated by tomorrow morning.

The best thing you can do to maintain a great smelling interior is to NOT eat at all in your car (and minimize transport of hot/odoriferous food in the cabin), obviously don't smoke/etc. in it, vacuum at least weekly, and wipe down all hard surfaces (dash, seats, steering wheel, door panels, etc.) every time you wash the exterior. You can use your diluted car wash solution if you want. I like to use diluted Optimum No Rinse to clean unless there is heavy buildup (then I use 1:10 Optimum Power Clean). I like to wipe down dash and door card surfaces with Nextzett Cockpit Premium (less "greasy" than 303 but still provides great UV). I don't put anything on the steering wheel but do make sure to wipe it down with ONR or OPC to remove any grease/oils transmitted from my hands.

If you guys ever want to really infuse "new car scent" into your car, all it takes is running to Lowes/Home Depot and buying a bag of fertilizer. Keep it in the trunk of your car on a hot day and you will smell that lovely plastic off-gassing like the day it left the factory :)

Last edited:
My returned RWD SR+ was black interior that had strong new car smell.
I purchased LR RWD with white interior a few days after I returned the car. The white interior had less new car smell than the black interior.
The both vehicle were Apr 2019 built and less than 20 miles.

The downside of new car smell is the off gassing clouds up the windows. This is my first new car, and what a pain it is having to wipe down the windows every few weeks. It's pretty much gone now at 22,000kms and while I miss the smell I do not miss having to clean my windows every few weeks. I'm very OCD about clean glass!

Reactions: hellocar and alexGS
this is my 4th new car and the new car smell in the model 3 is LOVELY! :p it was born march 20 and today it still smells almost as strong as the day i picked it up.

one thing that also helps keep the new car smell is to leave the AC/ Air con on recirc. this keeps outside odors and air out. ive done this on my last 3 cars and the smell stayed for a while. also as other said, don't eat, vacuum etc etc. keeping the windows up.

if you want to get rid of the smell quick, get an ozone generator. shock the interior for about an hour. i use these in the house and it keeps the house fresh.

Want to know what smells even better than new car smell?

adams_polishes_odor_neutralizer_apple_cinnamon_scent_16oz_grey_800x.jpg

Reactions: Perscitus
New car smell isn’t necessarily the adhesives in the car as it was many years ago. The smell is sometimes artificially put in to replicate what we associate a new car would smell like. Chemical Guys actually makes a scent you can buy.

Chemical Guys New Car Smell Air Freshener & Odor Eliminator |
I bought the three pack sampler. New car, leather, and original scent. They are absolutely God awful.

I bought a 2020 model S two months ago from Tesla used inventory. It smelled like new leather. I wish I knew what they used.