Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press Conference July 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WRONG! The only reason there is a ludicrous mode is because of new hardware in the 90kWh battery pack - new fuses and space age metal contactor enabling an increase in current draw from 1300 to 1500 amps (plus firmware). That is not part of the P85D pack. That's why on the order page for new cars, the increased range option is required.

So if you are upgrading your existing P85D... they are taking apart your 85KWh battery pack and putting new parts into it?

So if you are upgrading your existing P85D... they are taking apart your 85KWh battery pack and putting new parts into it?
As I understand it, they're just swapping out the whole pack rather than going into it and tinkering. [EDIT: The new 90 kWh pack has slightly different battery anode chemistry, that's a hardware upgrade giving extra range/energy - also new hardware are new fuses and contactor enabling extra power for ludicrous mode.]

Last edited:
WRONG! The only reason there is a ludicrous mode is because of new hardware in the 90kWh battery pack - new fuses and space age metal contactor enabling an increase in current draw from 1300 to 1500 amps (plus firmware). That is not part of the P85D pack. That's why on the order page for new cars, the increased range option is required if you want ludicrous mode.

No, it has been confirmed that somebody can get ludicrous mode in the P85D. This is the ~5,000 dollar upgrade. Read Elon's blog post. There is a distinction between power and energy. The 90kWh pack effects energy, while the new power electronics effect power. The upgrade in power is what enables ludicrous mode.

No, it has been confirmed that somebody can get ludicrous mode in the P85D. This is the ~5,000 dollar upgrade. Read Elon's blog post. There is a distinction between power and energy. The 90kWh pack effects energy, while the new power electronics effect power. The upgrade in power is what enables ludicrous mode.

correct! and Elon even says that he would not upgrade battery yet since next battery upgrade will be for another 5-10% and would make more economic sense for the 85 owners, BUT you can upgrade to a 90 battery if you think this is useful for your situation. (I am obviously reading between the lines here)

Read Elon's blog post. There is a distinction between power and energy. The 90kWh pack effects energy, while the new power electronics effect power. The upgrade in power is what enables ludicrous mode.

I think a clearer distinction might be that the Ludicrous electronics and inconel contactor upgrade enables withdrawal of energy from an 85kWh or 90kWh pack at a 15% faster rate, 1500A vs 1300A.

Tell that to Elon. I'm quoting him directly.
There's obviously a lot of confusion with this. I know the difference between power and energy - the hardware upgrades are for both - new chemistry for more range/energy and new fuses and contactors for more power/ ludicrous mode.

Where it is confusing is that I was assuming the fuses and contactors were within the battery pack and not easily upgradeable on their own. [EDIT: I'd assumed that as with new car orders the design studio says that the new 90 kWh pack is necessary to get the ludicrous mode.]

I read Elon's blog and rereading it he says "the battery pack size upgrade and the pack electronics upgrade are almost entirely independent." I took that to mean that they address different issues and independent electronically, but physically were all part of the battery pack. However, he does specifically refer to the "pack electronics upgrade" being offered for $5K so I think I was wrong! That's what happens trying to read stuff on an old small screen iphone!

Last edited:
Yep, they said that in June. If they're having issues with autopilot working on *highways* I think we're in trouble. :(

That said, looks like I lost a few bets about the Model X coming with an 85kWh pack. Wasn't a 100kWh pack like everyone was saying, but I still lost since I said it wouldn't be > 85. ;)

We appreciate you being a trooper and admitting it! I of course predicted higher (100)... but eh, close enough. :)

This:

Makes me ask myself:
#1: Why do you need a fuse in the first place? To cut off the battery pack in the event of some sort of catastrophic failure?
#2: If the fuse is now a "smart bomb" that only detonates when the conditions are right (er., wrong) what happens when that little lithium battery runs down? Does your fuse become inoperable and will never blow at that point? Would you get some dash warning like "Car is now unsafe, please drive to a server center to get your fuse battery replaced!"...?

Not used to the concept of battery powered fuses!

what makes you think the fuse battery isn't rechargeable and tied into the cars electronics for monitoring? If so it would never "run down".

What I don't understand is why he Elon would say not to upgrade until you get to 15 kwh difference but not offer the 90 to 60 and 70 models..

Elon said 15%. He never said they weren't offering the upgrade, just that he wouldn't recommend it if you you weren't getting 15% more energy storage. Not sure where you're drawing this conclusion that they wouldn't offer this to 60 and 70 owners.

That attitude is going to change dramatically once they have more capacity to make batteries than they have capability to build cars. Which is going to be soon.
I also wonder what the CPO market landscape ends up looking like. It seems a lot of people traded their cars in to get AP. Otherwise, I'd question that there would be much of a used market place right now.

Since our cars can be upgraded OTA as new features roll out, there isn't as much of need to get the latest and greatest like an ICE.

Seems Tesla needs to figure out this battery upgrade path as it will be their best shot at residuals from existing owners.