Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pressure Buffeting - Has anyone experienced it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although, a Tesla service guy told me that the audio system sounds much better with the parcel shelf in place, because it better tunes the acoustics of the rear of the cabin. Note that there are speakers in the hatch under the rear glass.

Sigh. I was planning on not getting the parcel shelf - but I'm big on acoustics & a bit of an audiophile. I guess that means I'll order it then.

Sigh. I was planning on not getting the parcel shelf - but I'm big on acoustics & a bit of an audiophile. I guess that means I'll order it then.

There are a lot of options that I wouldn't normally order except that they are paired with items that provide basic functionality so you're kind of forced to get them.

+1...absolutely every car I've owned in the last 35 + years...

**edit** just read cinergi's post about the buffeting happening with the windows & sunroof closed...this is not happening on my car / to me.

Almost every car I've owned for the last 20 years has had pressure buffeting with the windows in some position or other. The only one I can think of that doesn't do that is the Roadster.

Last edited:
Thank you DrComputer, I also have been bothered by the pressure buffeting and it was one of my only big disappointments with the car. I opened up the windows and the sunroof of my car and it didn't go away. I thought it had something to do with something in the car acting like a speaker and it seems as if the rear hatch was. The explanation makes total sense now. The movement of the rear hatch when going over certain types of pavement and bumps makes total sense. I'm going to try experimenting with the adjustments to see if I can reduce or eliminate it. Thank you!

That's probably why the Parcel Shelf had to be REDESIGNED hence the BACKORDER. Let's hope they're able to correct the problem.

post #12 in this thread indicates that the parcel shelf is also supposed to help.

Yes, I did read that. I am just saying that based on my direct experience, the adjustment of the hatch closure is a sufficient fix.

The parcel shelf, I am sure (though I do not yet have mine!), changes the resonant frequency of the cabin, and provides a large damping surface. But the primary thing is to stop the infrasound at its source-- the maladjusted oscillating hatch door acting like a giant bass drumhead.

It's not a defect, it's a "feature"! It's just out of sync with the sound system...an integrated bass shaker!

sooo there's a lot of creative engineers on this forum ... maybe if someones got some time to kill they can figure out a device to actually enhance the audio sound system with this effect haha

I wonder what it would sound like if someone put two 12" woofers back there...

I know this thread is regarding the hatch with all windows/sunroof CLOSED,

But I noticed an issue today with the driver's window OPEN. If the window is full open, and the others are closed, then I get pretty pronounced aerodynamic buffeting starting at 37 MPH and extending to about 50 MPH, with a maximum around 45-47 MPH. Above or below the 37-50 MPH range, I do not experience it. Closing the driver's window some or opening one of the other windows a little solves it.

It seems like a fairly strong buffet. Anyone else notice it, or have ideas on ways to fix? I'll have the Tesla service guy look at it on Wednesday, since he's coming by to address a few other minor issues (pano roof/passenger door adjustment).

I know this thread is regarding the hatch with all windows/sunroof CLOSED,

But I noticed an issue today with the driver's window OPEN. If the window is full open, and the others are closed, then I get pretty pronounced aerodynamic buffeting starting at 37 MPH and extending to about 50 MPH, with a maximum around 45-47 MPH. Above or below the 37-50 MPH range, I do not experience it. Closing the driver's window some or opening one of the other windows a little solves it.

It seems like a fairly strong buffet. Anyone else notice it, or have ideas on ways to fix? I'll have the Tesla service guy look at it on Wednesday, since he's coming by to address a few other minor issues (pano roof/passenger door adjustment).

Hi Todd,

I think the buffeting you experienced is on par with what other makes of car experience. They tend to vary in the particular window combination to make the effect happen. It seems like the Model S has it happen when the driver side window is open based on your findings. My Leaf and both my 2001 and 2010 Prius cars also exhibited the buffeting depending on what combination of windows was open and closed. I think the only fix would be to open some combination of windows and/or panoramic roof. I'll be curious to see what Tesla service has to say any potential fix other than opening the windows/roof.

Also an update for everyone on the setting of the rubber shims to resolve the pressure buffeting issue: I felt that after adjusting the rubber shims on my hatch that the hatch was putting a lot of pressure on the locking mechanism. I discovered that the plastic platforms that the shims sit upon when they close are also adjustable. I found that if I raised (extended them towards the moveable hatch) those a bit and lowered (retracted into the moveable hatch) the rubber shims, that helped with the pressure on the latch while keeping the buffeting with the windows closed issue minimized. It does take a bit of adjusting to get everything level and balanced when the hatch closes, so if you try the fix and it doesn't seem to completely resolve your issue, keep adjusting all 4 screws to get the hatch to close in balance with even pressure all around.

I believe once you get an even pressure about all four contact points, the buffeting is minimized as much as possible with that adjustment. I could see why they might rush that part of the QC at Tesla if they are trying to delivery cars fast. It could take quite a bit of trial and error to get it completely right.

I also noticed that my fix has reduced the funny sound I sometimes get with the HVAC system turned on at a medium range fan speed. It's the same pressure buffeting, so I think because the car is so tightly sealed, when the fan runs at a certain speed, it is causing the hatch to move in and out slightly as air is drawn into the car.

Last edited:
Damn I feel stupid. I recognize common pressure buffeting ... but this thread has left me with a headache.

Can anyone give specifics as to sound / feel / speed ???

Common sense tells me, if Im not hearing anything, all is well. But now, Im just not sure.

If you're not feeling anything you are fine. It kind of feels like sticking your head inside a bass drum and having someone lightly tap the head of the drum. It's feels kind of like a slight change in air pressure in you ears accompanied by a low frequency rumble.

The sound comes from the tires and the suspension usually, but the pressure feeling is coming from the movement of the rear hatch acting like a big sub-woofer. So if you don't have that sensation, your hatch is probably adjusted so there isn't enough flex to cause the acoustic effect.

It happened at all speeds in my car. I could be going slow over road bumps, or going quickly at highway speeds.

Last edited:
If you're not feeling anything you are fine. It kind of feels like sticking your head inside a bass drum and having someone lightly lap the head of the drum. It's feels kind of like a slight change in air pressure in you ears accompanied by a low frequency rumble.

The sound comes from the tires and the suspension usually, but the pressure feeling is coming from the movement of the rear hatch acting like a big sub-woofer. So if you don't have that sensation, your hatch is probably adjusted so there isn't enough flex to cause the acoustic effect.

It happened at all speeds in my car. I could be going slow over road bumps, or going quickly at highway speeds.

Excellent description! Right on target!

How did you go about that? Did you need to pry them up first?

No, they just might be just really tightly screwed. The plastic screw on the right side of the frame of my car was stuck and I really had to work on it to get it to unscrew. I think to loosen it you go counterclockwise. The screw on the left side of the car was really easy to unscrew. Once you get it moving, it works fine.

I'll get some pictures of the screws so people don't have to guess and post them later tonight.

Update: Received our parcel shelf last week. When we have it installed, it really helps the low frequency sound situation. So having the parcel shelf in plus adjusting the shims on the back of the rear hatch has reduced the pressure buffeting issue so I consider it solved for me.

I have the rear footwell cover also pushed up vertically against the back of the rear bench seats, so that may also provide a bit of dampening. I'll try to see if removing it from that position makes the pressure buffeting a bit worse. We have the rear kid seats, so to test out things, I folded the seats back into the footwell and kept the footwell cover pushed up against the rear bench seats (where we normally keep the footwell stored when the rear kid seats are being used).

I adjusted the stops/pads that the hatch rests on when closed so that they exert just a little positive outward pressure on the hatch when closed. The low frequency pressure I was experiencing is now gone.

What I did was to slowly let out the pads by about a half turn to a full turn each day. Then I'd observe the change on the way to work the next day. I kept doing this until it went away. This ensured that I didn't let it out too much, which might put excessive force on the hatch closing mechanism.

I just left he Tesla Service Center with the buffeting issue. The first tech that rode with me said he did not feel or hear anything. The second said he hears it and feels it but every Tesla he has driven has been the same way. When I talked to the sales advisor who delivered the car to he he talked about the fix of raising the hatch stoppers like what have been mentioned in this forum and we tried it. We raids both sides little by little with a drive in between each adjustment until the hatch warning tone told us that the car was not registering the hatch closed. The buffeting remained..... Here is the oddest part. Even if you open one or more windows about a half inch the buffeting continues a bit. This leads me to believe it might be tone/noise related not just pressure or not pressure at all. I had tried to experiment myself at home but when I was driving with the Tesla employees and focusing just on this issue the issue became clearer.... I am happy to hear that some of you have remedied your problem with adjustments but my issue does not appear to have a simple fix. I'm guessing it has something to do with friction created with bumps making the car seem like the inside of a drum. Just my 2 cents.... and experience....

I've noticed a different problem - with the sunroof in the 80% open position, and all 4 windows down, the middle, rear seat belt "flutters" in the wind, slapping against the rear seat as the car is moving.

Anyone else notice this?