Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventing Doors From Losing Calibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody have any fix or workaround for the front and falcon wing doors "timing out." Both times last week I had problems after the last update were because the car interior was getting cleaned and the doors were open about 5-10 minutes. It didn't happen to all doors, but one falcon wing one time and the front passenger door the other time (only happened on one door each time). The SC guys mentioned that most likely the car automatically went to sleep to prevent battery drainage and it caused the door to not know where it was when it woke up. Turns out the front passenger latch is scheduled to get replaced in the next few days, since the recalibration didn't work (the software problem made the hardware problem apparent).

Before the update about 8 days ago, I didn't really have this problem. Has anybody found some kind of workaround to keep this from happening or to keeping the car "awake" while it is cleaning, getting windows tinted, etc. This seems like a relatively simple software fix, where it just gives us a "showroom / cleaning mode" or automatically saves the last position of the doors every time before it goes to sleep. Maybe the new software update already fixed it (I haven't had the chance to check)? Something that seems very simple and trivial (like latching) can cause a big headache

Does anybody have any fix or workaround for the front and falcon wing doors "timing out." Both times last week I had problems after the last update were because the car interior was getting cleaned and the doors were open about 5-10 minutes. It didn't happen to all doors, but one falcon wing one time and the front passenger door the other time (only happened on one door each time). The SC guys mentioned that most likely the car automatically went to sleep to prevent battery drainage and it caused the door to not know where it was when it woke up. Turns out the front passenger latch is scheduled to get replaced in the next few days, since the recalibration didn't work (the software problem made the hardware problem apparent).

Before the update about 8 days ago, I didn't really have this problem. Has anybody found some kind of workaround to keep this from happening or to keeping the car "awake" while it is cleaning, getting windows tinted, etc. This seems like a relatively simple software fix, where it just gives us a "showroom / cleaning mode" or automatically saves the last position of the doors every time before it goes to sleep. Maybe the new software update already fixed it (I haven't had the chance to check)? Something that seems very simple and trivial (like latching) can cause a big headache

Hi there, if you are looking for a permanent fix, the latches need to be replaced. My X also needs both driver and passenger door latches replaced.

Yes I agree, I got the passenger door latch fixed today.

But a bigger issue appears to be that the car goes to sleep whenever the door is open to long, and it can lose calibration when it wakes up (doesn't know where the door is). Already had an issue with both the falcon wing and the passenger door when cleaning the interior. Maybe now that the hardware is fixed, this will no longer be a problem (I hope). But if it is, maybe there is some workaround to fix it until an update permanently fixes this issue. Not exactly a fan of driving 40 minutes to the Service Center every time this happens

thanks for the help

It takes a bit of strength and height, but it's possible to manually force the FWD all the way open, at which point the software gets back in sync and everything works again. I call this technique "stretching the wing."

• Funny
Reactions: X Fan
thanks for the tip. What about for the front doors? As an observation, since getting the latch replaced, this hasn't occurred during cleaning (also I close and open the doors every 5 minutes to avoid this), but I'm wondering if there's any easy recalibration methods.

Overall, the car is working great now (lots of fun), just want to anticipate any of these quirks before they happen so I can fix them on the spot.

thanks for the tip. What about for the front doors? As an observation, since getting the latch replaced, this hasn't occurred during cleaning (also I close and open the doors every 5 minutes to avoid this), but I'm wondering if there's any easy recalibration methods.

Overall, the car is working great now (lots of fun), just want to anticipate any of these quirks before they happen so I can fix them on the spot.
Pry the front doors open all the way and then close them from inside. Might have to repeat once or twice.

I thought the FWD could be recalibrated by using the inside lever opener and holding them in the up and then down position for 10 seconds after fully opening and closing.

• Informative
Reactions: Coolcarx
On a less serious note, I'm using the levers and buttons to close & open front doors 100%. And while on a tilt back parking spot or in wind, I expect the door may not open all the way.

But an ordinary full open door is not 100%, so is this a calibration issue, and can I fix myself?

And while on a tilt back parking spot or in wind, I expect the door may not open all the way.

I noticed today that my right side FWD glass is hitting the trim on the body pretty solidly (to the point where I'm concerned it will break the glass) when parked on an incline (nose high in a driveway). Left side has no problems. Given your "tilt back" observation, the problem might be physical contact like mine vs. just a calibration issue.

I'm making sure to position the car either on a flat surface, or park "tail high" on inclines until I can get feedback from Tesla on a potential fix.

I noticed today that my right side FWD glass is hitting the trim on the body pretty solidly (to the point where I'm concerned it will break the glass) when parked on an incline (nose high in a driveway). Left side has no problems. Given your "tilt back" observation, the problem might be physical contact like mine vs. just a calibration issue.

I'm making sure to position the car either on a flat surface, or park "tail high" on inclines until I can get feedback from Tesla on a potential fix.
The Model X "NO NO" list continues to grow.
1)Park on hill
2)Park in parking garage with beams
3)Open doors in wind
4)Allow door to stay open for longer than x time
5)Manually close or open doors

"1) Park on a hill"

Looks like this was just a warning sign. My door is now hitting while parked on flat surfaces as of today.

Guessing the struts are becoming mis-calibrated, or possibly the rear strut is failing since it's the door that has been used most frequently in the week since delivery. It is also no longer fully opening on the first activation, which is also suspicious.

It took ~50 open/close cycles since delivery to start to fail. Not inspiring for future reliability. :(

"1) Park on a hill"

Looks like this was just a warning sign. My door is now hitting while parked on flat surfaces as of today.

Guessing the struts are becoming mis-calibrated, or possibly the rear strut is failing since it's the door that has been used most frequently in the week since delivery. It is also no longer fully opening on the first activation, which is also suspicious.

It took ~50 open/close cycles since delivery to start to fail. Not inspiring for future reliability. :(

Wow, what is your VIN

Musk just said in conference call "Celebrated a milestone Fri at 3am. The first Model X to be produced problem free." So this means Manufacturing QC it's just now getting under control. Not to say cars left the factory bad but needed some degree of repair.

Last edited:
Musk just said in conference call "Celebrated a milestone Fri at 3am. The first Model X to be produced problem free." So this means Manufacturing QC it's just now getting under control. Not to say cars left the factory bad but needed some degree of repair.
They're building cars at 3am??? Did I miss the memo and does Tesla's line now run 24 hours a day?

Mine appeared "problem free" at delivery last week... There's also the "week later" door challenge going on from other posts online.

SC advisor did ask if my FWD problem started occurring "on an incline", so there might be a known problem... Given that the SC can't schedule my Model X in until June (they're backed up repairing many other Model X's), I've been instructed not to use the right FWD for the next month.

Since it's hard to stop friends from trying to open the doors before you can stop them (everyone's excited to see the doors), I had to implement my own fix to prevent more damage while waiting over the next month... :confused:

IMG_1339.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
"1) Park on a hill"

And one wonders about the type of long-term durability and reliability Tesla does.

It seems likely they didn't do or can't consistently pass what I cited at automotive reliability and durability testing. Yet, that thread is crickets. :confused:

Reactions: JoNoSaisQuoi