Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the future, if you see an alert on the touchscreen indicating that a memory storage device has degraded, please schedule an appointment.

So it sounds like they may have added a check for the eMMC being close to life with a pro-active warning to get it repaired before it fully fails. I wonder which firmware version added that. (And I haven't seen anyone report getting it yet.)

Reactions: Akikiki
So apparently I received the email about eMMC repairs now being covered under warranty. Scheduled a service appointment within about 5 min. Service center says I need to be one to diagnose the issue. I'm supposed to keep a log of every time the MCU craps out. Then they sent me an estimate for the upcoming appointment (assuming I do my homework), and there is a $90 diagnostic fee. Sorry, who's the one doing the diagnosing here?

Tesla Service: "Not as good as it used to be."

So apparently I received the email about eMMC repairs now being covered under warranty. Scheduled a service appointment within about 5 min. Service center says I need to be one to diagnose the issue. I'm supposed to keep a log of every time the MCU craps out. Then they sent me an estimate for the upcoming appointment (assuming I do my homework), and there is a $90 diagnostic fee. Sorry, who's the one doing the diagnosing here?

Tesla Service: "Not as good as it used to be."

That's why recalls make it straightforward. Otherwise you would get a different B.S. depending on which SC you're' dealing with.

So it sounds like they may have added a check for the eMMC being close to life with a pro-active warning to get it repaired before it fully fails. I wonder which firmware version added that. (And I haven't seen anyone report getting it yet.)
There has been a hidden alert in the firmware for some time, MCU_w031_cidSquashfsError
E78D01D5-71A6-4286-9417-1E8A88621FA1.jpeg
I’m on 2019.32 (pre v10 firmware) and this photo was taken in May of 2020.

There’s also the avg block erase count and remaining reserved blocks count that have been referenced in customer conversations with service.
0CCBD725-085C-48BD-8F02-1963842C2909.jpeg
However, there are credible theories that the fatal failure of the eMMC is controller related and not flash wear out.

I have had several black screen issues. However, Tesla will NOT replace my chip for no charge. This is their reply...
An occasional touchscreen reboot is normal and not indicative of accumulated wear. In the future, if you see an alert on the touchscreen indicating that a memory storage device has degraded, please schedule an appointment.
my response is, define occasional. Just like they say you SC a lot. What is a lot? 20%, 50%, 80%?
yeah same here. It used to be that it reboots maybe once in 2-3 months...now its weekly. I get in the car and screen is black. Can stay like that for several minutes and it will reboot itself, sometimes twice. Or can go longer and I reboot it. May be ok from time to time, but not ok weekly, or when it's 110 outside, or your sunroof is open, or you follow the traffic rules and use blinker.
Sometimes, screen is completely unresponsive, or part of it is unresponsive and part is responsive.
Sometimes, only part of the screen updates, and not the whole screen (so one part will have eg. quick menu, and the other will have nav :)
Sometimes, screen has corruption.
Sent logs multiple times and was told no hardware failures, just reboot.
So how often do you reboot your phone? Me, about once a year. Why would i want to reboot my car once a week, it's 2020, not 1995. If it needs a reboot, it should do it when I'm not trying to go somewhere.
Also told me to turn off energy saving, which will help with responsiveness. They cleared cache (not sure what cache we are talking about), which is an action that can only be done by SC - why???? That means whenever computer gets unresponsive, I have to go there so they can clear the cache.
I do not believe this is all eMMC, but it's possible I guess depending on SW design. That said, as consumer, makes no diff to me where the issue is, just fix it, it's crippling the car.

Shouldn't then the issue be fixable by a firmware update for the controller?
Not necessarily, Si can degrade, or have marginalities in its operation that get exposed more as it ages. Sometimes you can address that with SW (there is always a cost/drawback to that), and sometimes you can't if for example you have component its talking to which is also marginal in it's specs.

Not necessarily, Si can degrade, or have marginalities in its operation that get exposed more as it ages. Sometimes you can address that with SW (there is always a cost/drawback to that), and sometimes you can't if for example you have component its talking to which is also marginal in it's specs.

I believe you misunderstood my point.

@DaveBC said "there are credible theories that the fatal failure of the eMMC is controller related and not flash wear out". The Controller is a separate component than the flash storage (eMMC) itself and usually has its own firmware. That firmware can be updated. That's what I meant.

I believe you misunderstood my point.

@DaveBC said "there are credible theories that the fatal failure of the eMMC is controller related and not flash wear out". The Controller is a separate component than the flash storage (eMMC) itself and usually has its own firmware. That firmware can be updated. That's what I meant.

I'm pretty sure that the controller is part of/inside the eMMC chip... Does the manufacturer provide eMMC firmware updates?

Reactions: Akikiki
However, there are credible theories that the fatal failure of the eMMC is controller related and not flash wear out.
Yes. Thank you. As the one who originally developed the eMMC replacement with SwissBit four years ago, I've run a number of tests which have shown that you can not get consistent dumps of -any- partition on defective chips. This indicts the controller in the chip, rather than a 'wearing out' of cells in the chip.

And it is heat-related, so using methods in my wiki you are more likely to recover your data in a bad chip.

Shouldn't then the issue be fixable by a firmware update for the controller?
It's the controller -inside- the eMMC chip, which is not updatable. And it's not a software bug but a hardware failure since this is not an industrial-grade chip. It's just cheaply made.

A Tesla scam? I am experiencing intermittent screen blackouts, but Tesla says I am not eligible for a free chip replacement! I ask for details but support thus far has only stated their analysis of eMMC vitals is the reason why. If they won't replace the chip, this must imply there are other screen problems that they aren't acknowledging
what yeaar model car?

This warranty extension is a direct response to the NHTSAs recall investigation. What we see is only the tip of a bigger iceberg and all part of negotiations. None of this - cheaper replacement parts or warranty extensions- would exist without reports to the NHTSA. Keep up the pressure if you don't think they bent enough yet.

I'm not so sure it is in response to the NHTSA investigation. (Which isn't a "recall" investigation.) NHTSA it still going down their normal path and have upgraded from a PE, preliminary evaluation, to an EA, engineering analysis, investigation: U.S. upgrades safety probe into nearly 159,000 Tesla vehicles

Or if it was because of NHTSA, they don't appear to be happy with the negotiations that you think have gone on.

Interesting that overall it only appears to be a ~9% failure rate so far. (Though they say that the failure rate is over 30 percent in certain build months.)

Last edited:
I wanted to update everyone on my experience starting a 10-day road trip with MCU failure on day 1. I was able to make it through my 950+ mile trip without stalling. The 12 V battery warning was real, and not related to the MCU failure, but lasted for the 7+ days it was present. Even though I had no center screen functionality (no turn signals, no back up camera, no navigation, no ability to change the comfort temperature, open the sunroof, no music, ...) I was able to charge fully each time I stopped. Though it would take my 2014 Model S about 90 seconds to power up the Instrument Cluster screen to be able to drive the car, I was able to make it through the 10-days and make it home to my Tesla SC appointment. Thank you for your support in getting me confident enough to make it through.

Brought the car to the SC on Tuesday morning, and had it back 48 hours later, with the new MCU2 (infotainment upgrade), as well as a battery replacement (no labor charged on it), and an LTE modem (finally) to give me so much improvement in functionality. The upgrade really is worth it. Navigation directions now pop up within a second or two, internet access is almost instant, and I just feel my car rejuvenated again, where I have no qualms keeping it for at least a few more years (and hopefully beyond).

Sharing pitfalls and successes is what makes this thread so helpful. Thanks everyone!

I wanted to update everyone on my experience starting a 10-day road trip with MCU failure on day 1. I was able to make it through my 950+ mile trip without stalling. The 12 V battery warning was real, and not related to the MCU failure, but lasted for the 7+ days it was present. Even though I had no center screen functionality (no turn signals, no back up camera, no navigation, no ability to change the comfort temperature, open the sunroof, no music, ...) I was able to charge fully each time I stopped. Though it would take my 2014 Model S about 90 seconds to power up the Instrument Cluster screen to be able to drive the car, I was able to make it through the 10-days and make it home to my Tesla SC appointment. Thank you for your support in getting me confident enough to make it through.

Brought the car to the SC on Tuesday morning, and had it back 48 hours later, with the new MCU2 (infotainment upgrade), as well as a battery replacement (no labor charged on it), and an LTE modem (finally) to give me so much improvement in functionality. The upgrade really is worth it. Navigation directions now pop up within a second or two, internet access is almost instant, and I just feel my car rejuvenated again, where I have no qualms keeping it for at least a few more years (and hopefully beyond).

Sharing pitfalls and successes is what makes this thread so helpful. Thanks everyone!

Did you lose any historical data that was saved on your MCU1?

Yes. All my previous settings were reset. All contacts, favorite destinations, Home Link settings, trip lengths, ... were no longer there, and had to be reentered. But that wasn't a huge deal to me, as I was able to re-enter the important things in less than 20 minutes.

How about your odometer and Instrument Cluster life time info available, like life time wh/mi, kW used, etc?

How about your odometer and Instrument Cluster life time info available, like life time wh/mi, kW used, etc?

All reset. The odometer seemed to be close to what I recall, so I am not sure if they reprogram that in after the upgrade. But all my previous info and data were gone. So if that information is important, then a good idea to write it down before the upgrade.

I have been keeping a spreadsheet with information on the multiple trips I have taken over the last 5 years (distance, estimated range, actual distance travelled, Wh/mi for each leg, comfort temperature setting, outside temperature, time charging, charging stats, ...). I have noted a small decrease in range over the years, but actually much less than I expected. So I already had a lot of that data kept in my spreadsheet, that the lost info was not really an issue.