Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly the SC service advisor (who is an ok guy) pretty much was encouraging me to do an MCU2 upgrade once I mentioned I was considering it

My concern is I’ll drop $3k (won’t do it without the FM/XM radio) and then the MCU2 will have issues
They were encouraging me too. I think they just have happier customers if they are willing to drop $2.5-$3k.

I'm just struggling with keeping the current car or using the $3k towards a new one with more range.

Sorry to hear you have this problem now :(

this is interesting, and totally irrelevant. They sold you/us the product. Which kernel is in it, and whether it can, or cannot, or it's too expensive to fix is irrelevant to a paying customer. They are responsible for the final product they shipped/delivered in its entirety.
Seems like their attempt to just get everyone onto MCU2 and profit out of that at the same time. They should just upgrade all cars to MCU2 at no, or at a very minimum cost, and that would give them props from everyone. Great customer service will create positive marketing, and impact sales. Why are they so shortsighted...there are much better ways of handling this.
Because they don't have the cash.

I hadn't heard that
That's exactly what I've said in this thread. We have had screen issues for over a year, finally in October they replaced our eMMC when our screen went completely dead after for months telling us it was a software issue. Replacing the eMMC did not solve the issues we have been having for more than a year of random reboots & pixelated images on the screen. Tesla says that these issues are from problems with the kernel code & that there is no fix. The only option to fix it is to pay for MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
That's exactly what I've said in this thread. We have had screen issues for over a year, finally in October they replaced our eMMC when our screen went completely dead after for months telling us it was a software issue. Replacing the eMMC did not solve the issues we have been having for more than a year of random reboots & pixelated images on the screen. Tesla says that these issues are from problems with the kernel code & that there is no fix. The only option to fix it is to pay for MCU2.
I just read all your posts (and other's responses) in this thread. Yes, Nvdia (the Tegra manufacturer) tends to keep driver code closed-source, but this doesn't sound like a sw problem, otherwise it would be much more widespread. It really sounds like you have a bad MCU. Are you still under warranty? Why aren't they offering to swap for another MCU1?

I just read all your posts (and other's responses) in this thread. Yes, Nvdia (the Tegra manufacturer) tends to keep driver code closed-source, but this doesn't sound like a sw problem, otherwise it would be much more widespread. It really sounds like you have a bad MCU. Are you still under warranty? Why aren't they offering to swap for another MCU1?
Yeah, I don’t get it. If an MCU1 under warranty doesn’t work, won’t they replace with a remanufactured MCU1. There’s something else going on here.

We were under warranty when the issues surfaced, we aren't currently, but so far Tesla hasn't provided an estimate that they will charge us for any of the continued attempted repairs of our MCU.
Yeah, I don’t get it. If an MCU1 under warranty doesn’t work, won’t they replace with a remanufactured MCU1. There’s something else going on here.
It seems pretty clear that Tesla corporate has laid down the hammer on the SCs doing warranty work. Elon Musk recently sent the famed soufflé e-mail about profitability before all else. Warranty work goes against their profitability. Depending on how much they have recorded per vehicle as a liability for warranty work they may have to recognize additional expenses if they exceed the pre-planned expense amount. Any additional expenses directly reduce their profitability. So Tesla is fighting against doing repairs under warranty. This has been my experience with Tesla Service. They will do the least amount possible and will fight owners on everything.

We were under warranty when the issues surfaced, we aren't currently, but so far Tesla hasn't provided an estimate that they will charge us for any of the continued attempted repairs of our MCU.

It seems pretty clear that Tesla corporate has laid down the hammer on the SCs doing warranty work. Elon Musk recently sent the famed soufflé e-mail about profitability before all else. Warranty work goes against their profitability. Depending on how much they have recorded per vehicle as a liability for warranty work they may have to recognize additional expenses if they exceed the pre-planned expense amount. Any additional expenses directly reduce their profitability. So Tesla is fighting against doing repairs under warranty. This has been my experience with Tesla Service. They will do the least amount possible and will fight owners on everything.
That has not been my experience. I’ve never had a problem getting warranty issues fixed, including 2 items at my most recent visit 1 month ago. I read stuff like this, and I do not doubt that you’ve had issues, but it does not foot with my experience so it is hard for me to believe the conspiracy theory part.

In all honesty, this doesn't make sense. Sounds more like unwillingness to fix, or something else.
Even if true that it's kernel source code...ok, port the newer one to MCU1. If it's their own, or supplier code, there is still ability to fix this.

There are some scenarios here where HW cannot be fixed and SW is just darn expensive to fix, or would introduce another detrimental issue, so what they are saying could be true. But who cares, that's not the point. The point is their product is NOT performing without manufacturing defects so they are obligated to fix it - MCU1, or MCU2, that's their own decision, but fix the problem. You/us did not buy the SW or HW. We bought a complete system for whose operation without defects they are responsible for throughout the warranty period

Mine is now scheduled for FPGA reprogramming. whatever that really means.
It doesn't mean anything. It's a cash grab. You'll pay the $175, it won't fix anything, and then maybe they'll come back and say the eMMC repair is now available to you. But it just helped them cut a chunk off that $500 price they would have had to eat. Hell, maybe they're making money on the deal if you take out all the markup.

It doesn't mean anything. It's a cash grab. You'll pay the $175, it won't fix anything, and then maybe they'll come back and say the eMMC repair is now available to you. But it just helped them cut a chunk off that $500 price they would have had to eat. Hell, maybe they're making money on the deal if you take out all the markup.
They offered it for $0. So, not a cash grab (this time), but buying time?

In all honesty, this doesn't make sense. Sounds more like unwillingness to fix, or something else.
Even if true that it's kernel source code...ok, port the newer one to MCU1. If it's their own, or supplier code, there is still ability to fix this.

There are some scenarios here where HW cannot be fixed and SW is just darn expensive to fix, or would introduce another detrimental issue, so what they are saying could be true. But who cares, that's not the point. The point is their product is NOT performing without manufacturing defects so they are obligated to fix it - MCU1, or MCU2, that's their own decision, but fix the problem. You/us did not buy the SW or HW. We bought a complete system for whose operation without defects they are responsible for throughout the warranty period
I agree, but what are my options to fight them? I can't force them to do work on our car.
Mine is now scheduled for FPGA reprogramming. whatever that really means.
They did that to our car & it made it worse!

I agree, but what are my options to fight them? I can't force them to do work on our car.

They did that to our car & it made it worse!

Interesting. They have been doing stuff to mine remotely. Definitely an overall trend towards worse.

Long drives really kill it.

now it keeps saying download pending. If they would cough up a discount on mcu2 I’d probably just do it. Rather save and spend on newer with more range though.

Not what everyone will want to here, but just chipping in to say that 2 days ago I paid the money to upgrade my MCU1 to MCU2 (AP1 here), and OMG I am so glad I did this. Should tesla have made upgrading the emmc free and easy? yes, but TBH I really appreciate the way faster response on the screen, and the theater mode (netflix etc) and caraoke etc.
I know its expensive, but I'm glad I did it. The only inconvenice was it taking all day, (combined with service) and needing to re-enter the wifi password. REALLY glad I did it.