Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why folks are settling for a bad repair. Sounds like it's as bad as before the fix. No recourse? I've got an appt next week for the daughter board replacement. No liking the probable result. I've always bought Honda's, Acura's, and Toys and never had something like this that they couldn't or wouldn't fix.
Yeah, and you’ve never had a single new feature by software update.

Reactions: Akikiki
Thanks so there is hope! Thats the problem with general forum stuff. You tend to see only the worse case stuff (or perhaps focus on). Easy to assume everybody has had a bad result with the new eMMC route. Maybe re-flashing is more successful than I've been lead to believe.

So I had this message appear in late December 2020 after my latest software update 2020.48.12.1 on my 2015 Model S p85d.
upload_2021-1-24_8-23-0.jpeg

I haven’t really had any major problems with the MCU (yet) like some people have had but it’s definitely more sluggish than it used to be.

I’ve got a service appointment booked in for early Feb 2021 where I assume they are going to replace the eMMc. However I have recently heard they have lowered the price for the MCU2 upgrade to £1400 from £2350 ish and I am debating the upgrade.

I will likely be selling the car in the next 2/3 years. Any advice on whether I should just do the eMMc fix for free or go all in and do the MCU upgrade for £1400? Maybe I could do the eMMc fix first and see what (if any) improvements it makes? Suggestions welcome.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Okay, you asked. Yes, you should do the MCU2 Upgrade. Its worth it at £2350 ish and certainly worth it at £1400. None of us can predict the future, if I could I would have waited to upgrade mine when the price wasn't as high 10 months ago. Wait - whoa - stop. Yes, I would, who knew - no one. Had I waited, I would not have had the benefit of it for the past 10 months now. Mine is a AP2 car, so I get all the benefits that a 2020 S/X gets.

Your's a 2015 will not gain as much. But the difference in the performance of the processor, the improvements in NAV and several other features are certainly worth it at the cheaper price. Will you get your money back when you sell it? Doubtful. But your outlay now is much better. However if you are already considering selling it in 2/3 years, you will have the benefit of using it until then, and park yours '15 MCU2 S next to a '15 P85+ with MCU1. Which do you think then will bring the higher dollar? How much? Who knows, but I think it will be worth more to someone. I think mine will be worth more next to another '17 without.

Before mine was upgraded to MCU2, I was considering buying new in summer of 2020. But after MCU2 and driving it, wow, its like getting a new car for the cost and that was before the price drop. While you are trying to decide, don't buy what I am saying. Find someone near you that has a MCU2 S/X even a later year '18 - '20 and take a ride. Check what its like. Of course you could also post here for someone in your neighbor that has a '15 and upgraded. I'm confident they would love to show what theirs is like now.

Okay, you asked. Yes, you should do the MCU2 Upgrade. Its worth it at £2350 ish and certainly worth it at £1400. None of us can predict the future, if I could I would have waited to upgrade mine when the price wasn't as high 10 months ago. Wait - whoa - stop. Yes, I would, who knew - no one. Had I waited, I would not have had the benefit of it for the past 10 months now. Mine is a AP2 car, so I get all the benefits that a 2020 S/X gets.

Your's a 2015 will not gain as much. But the difference in the performance of the processor, the improvements in NAV and several other features are certainly worth it at the cheaper price. Will you get your money back when you sell it? Doubtful. But your outlay now is much better. However if you are already considering selling it in 2/3 years, you will have the benefit of using it until then, and park yours '15 MCU2 S next to a '15 P85+ with MCU1. Which do you think then will bring the higher dollar? How much? Who knows, but I think it will be worth more to someone. I think mine will be worth more next to another '17 without.

Before mine was upgraded to MCU2, I was considering buying new in summer of 2020. But after MCU2 and driving it, wow, its like getting a new car for the cost and that was before the price drop. While you are trying to decide, don't buy what I am saying. Find someone near you that has a MCU2 S/X even a later year '18 - '20 and take a ride. Check what its like. Of course you could also post here for someone in your neighbor that has a '15 and upgraded. I'm confident they would love to show what theirs is like now.
Thank you, that was a really helpful response and I think you’re right, having a go on a MCU2 car is a good idea. Many thanks :)

Reactions: Akikiki
So I had this message appear in late December 2020 after my latest software update 2020.48.12.1 on my 2015 Model S p85d. View attachment 630201
I haven’t really had any major problems with the MCU (yet) like some people have had but it’s definitely more sluggish than it used to be.

I’ve got a service appointment booked in for early Feb 2021 where I assume they are going to replace the eMMc. However I have recently heard they have lowered the price for the MCU2 upgrade to £1400 from £2350 ish and I am debating the upgrade.

I will likely be selling the car in the next 2/3 years. Any advice on whether I should just do the eMMc fix for free or go all in and do the MCU upgrade for £1400? Maybe I could do the eMMc fix first and see what (if any) improvements it makes? Suggestions welcome.

Here is pretty good video, and it's in your language!

@dark cloud, happy to be of service. any reboots? No, the car has done nothing. I have rebooted a couple of times. Once just to test what I heard about the IC. The upper buttons on the S-wheel don't reboot the IC any more. The IC is subordinate to the MCU, so only when the MCU reboots, does the IC reboot.

LTE and NAV works all the time. Not one screen freeze. NOT ONE. Anytime I open the app to wake it, it wakes. Never fails now. Mine did pre-MCU2. Half the time it would not wake. Now, always, in seconds.

I could not believe the difference in the car with MCU2. My '17 S is better today than the day I bought it, and 90% of that is owed to MCU2. It behaves better today than it did the first day. Say again. Its better, not as good as - BETTER than when new.

@Igm_P85d, I'd suggest you take the free eMMC replacement before you make a decision to spend a pile of money.
  • A degraded eMMC dramatically reduces MCU1 performance. Mine was showing minor signs of failure, but no where near as bad as others have described. It improved significantly after the eMMC/Tegra replacement (I paid for the repair proactively back in Sept, when they had plenty of supply). Expect yours to improve significantly. If it's free, why not try it first?
  • The eMMC failure is gradual, as is the resulting performance degradation. You'll be surprised at the improvement.
  • You loose AM/FM/XM in the upgrade unless you spend more money ($500 in USA). If you live/travel in areas with limited cell connectivity and thus, no streaming (like me), this is an issue.
  • The benefits of MCU2 on an AP1 car are limited. Netflix, some stupid games, and a bit faster. Yawn.
@Akikiki's suggestion to try driving a later car with MCU2 before making a decision is solid advice. But don't compare to your current car with the failing eMMC, do it after the free repair. You can always upgrade later. My parents have a 2018 with AP2 and MCU2. It's faster than my repaired 2014, but not enough for me to spend the money.

@Igm_P85d, I'd suggest you take the free eMMC replacement before you make a decision to spend a pile of money.
  • A degraded eMMC dramatically reduces MCU1 performance. Mine was showing minor signs of failure, but no where near as bad as others have described. It improved significantly after the eMMC/Tegra replacement (I paid for the repair proactively back in Sept, when they had plenty of supply). Expect yours to improve significantly. If it's free, why not try it first?
  • The eMMC failure is gradual, as is the resulting performance degradation. You'll be surprised at the improvement.
  • You loose AM/FM/XM in the upgrade unless you spend more money ($500 in USA). If you live/travel in areas with limited cell connectivity and thus, no streaming (like me), this is an issue.
  • The benefits of MCU2 on an AP1 car are limited. Netflix, some stupid games, and a bit faster. Yawn.
@Akikiki's suggestion to try driving a later car with MCU2 before making a decision is solid advice. But don't compare to your current car with the failing eMMC, do it after the free repair. You can always upgrade later. My parents have a 2018 with AP2 and MCU2. It's faster than my repaired 2014, but not enough for me to spend the money.
Also very helpful, many thanks.

I've been having the same debate too as to upgrade or not as I have a 2016 AP1 Model X. I took mine in last month for the eMMC daughterboard replacement, but they gave it back to me WITHOUT replacing the board saying they did a "wipe and reset" and that the eMMC is operating within specs at the moment. Since then, my MCU1 still lags and locks up and can take 10 minutes or more to reboot. Also, since last year they've now made the binnacle screen take forever to initialize when sleeping.

So not only will the MCU2 upgrade give me a faster center screen experience, it will also remove the slow binnacle startup. Other features like a new LTE cell chip with better reception and 5GHz Wifi connectivity are also a worthwhile improvement.

Like other's have suggested, I'm sure Tesla will soon discontinue any upgrades to the MCU1 and only continue to upgrade MCU2. So at the current $1,500 (or $2K with radio option), I think I might pull the trigger when my car is in for it's roof glass recall in a few weeks.

I've been having the same debate too as to upgrade or not as I have a 2016 AP1 Model X. I took mine in last month for the eMMC daughterboard replacement, but they gave it back to me WITHOUT replacing the board saying they did a "wipe and reset" and that the eMMC is operating within specs at the moment. Since then, my MCU1 still lags and locks up and can take 10 minutes or more to reboot. Also, since last year they've now made the binnacle screen take forever to initialize when sleeping.

So not only will the MCU2 upgrade give me a faster center screen experience, it will also remove the slow binnacle startup. Other features like a new LTE cell chip with better reception and 5GHz Wifi connectivity are also a worthwhile improvement.

Like other's have suggested, I'm sure Tesla will soon discontinue any upgrades to the MCU1 and only continue to upgrade MCU2. So at the current $1,500 (or $2K with radio option), I think I might pull the trigger when my car is in for it's roof glass recall in a few weeks.

Correct on all. Remember everyone, ""wipe and reset" is a band-aid. There could be/should be a button to press to do that. If MCU1 requires "wipe and reset", that's in indication it will never get better than that and needing the same again.

All of us heralding our praises for MCU2 get nothing for bragging about it. It does not benefit us one little bit to tell others its an improvement.

By "binnacle" do you mean the instrument panel (behind steering wheel)? If so, yes, that (new) slow startup is annoying. I paid $620 for LTE and eMMC together and paid parts-only for the eMMC/no extra labor since the MCU was already out of the car.

I don't know if the LTE upgrade includes 5 GHz wifi, but I wouldn't use it if it did. I have a dedicated 2.4GHz-only SSID for all my IoT devices. I keep all the IoT junk off 5GHz so it doesn't interfere with my laptop, etc where I care about good network throughput.

...I don't know if the LTE upgrade includes 5 GHz wifi, but I wouldn't use it if it did.

@tga, The LTE board does not contain the WiFi. So, upgrading from 3G to LTE has nothing to do with WiFi 2.4 or 5

In these picutures you can see the the cellular board (3G) and where it fits. If you look main board picture, you can see where's located - on the side of the cage. The WiFi board is a fraction of the size. In this picture its in the lower right corner where the wide copper ribbon cable is. You can see the two WiFi antenna leads going from main board to WiFi board.

3G Comm Board and SIM.jpg

MCU1 Board.jpg

I can't claim ownership of the pictures. I've add them a while and don't remember where I found them.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear and tga
Ok, something that I am quite a bit worried about. Just got off the phone to Tesla UK regarding my S85 Dec 2014 Reg (I think they said it was manufactured in Sept 2014).

Now after loads of MCU1 issues reboots, no heating, no internet .. screen going blank etc all the usual stuff I just said to them to book it in for the MCU2 upgrade. They've just got back to me saying that this is not possible as I need to be on APU2 hardware but I have AP1 hardware the real basic autopilot.

Someone please tell me that they have AP1 and were able to get this upgrade done as these constant reboots and no heating in winter (well not working properly heating..couldn't clear windscreen in ice) are doing my head in.

Care is high mileage motorway miles 132k miles S85 Dec 2014 AP1 with the auto tail lift (heard that these have a different wiring harness to the earlier ones). I'm sure others with the same or earlier cars have had this upgrade?

Ok, something that I am quite a bit worried about. Just got off the phone to Tesla UK regarding my S85 Dec 2014 Reg (I think they said it was manufactured in Sept 2014).

Now after loads of MCU1 issues reboots, no heating, no internet .. screen going blank etc all the usual stuff I just said to them to book it in for the MCU2 upgrade. They've just got back to me saying that this is not possible as I need to be on APU2 hardware but I have AP1 hardware the real basic autopilot.

Someone please tell me that they have AP1 and were able to get this upgrade done as these constant reboots and no heating in winter (well not working properly heating..couldn't clear windscreen in ice) are doing my head in.

Care is high mileage motorway miles 132k miles S85 Dec 2014 AP1 with the auto tail lift (heard that these have a different wiring harness to the earlier ones). I'm sure others with the same or earlier cars have had this upgrade?
There was some concern that with the reduced price Tesla would stop updating AP1 cars to MCU2 & only update AP2 cars to MCU2. You're the first person I've heard confirm that suspicion. Did you speak to your local Service Center or to Tesla's UK call center for general owner support?

@tga, The LTE board does not contain the WiFi. So, upgrading from 3G to LTE has nothing to do with WiFi 2.4 or 5

In these picutures you can see the the cellular board (3G) and where it fits. If you look main board picture, you can see where's located - on the side of the cage. The WiFi board is a fraction of the size. In this picture its in the lower right corner where the wide copper ribbon cable is. You can see the two WiFi antenna leads going from main board to WiFi board.

View attachment 630400

View attachment 630401

I can't claim ownership of the pictures. I've add them a while and don't remember where I found them.

Not mine

Old cars need tech package, however now I recently saw a post that non tech cars had something added to allow mcu2 retrofit. Have not seen the details.