Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it does. Tried both in usb 2.0 and 3.0 modes. But yeah, I'm quite sure the chips were bad, as two different data recovery professionals couldn't get anything out of them. I guess it's not a good start when an already failed chip gets desoldered... New swissbit chips work fine with the socket, although I didn't try to write anything to them.

I just got my own bga-station, so going to do some desoldering myself today and tomorrow. Hopefully third time is the charm.

And yes, third time indeed! Got the chip desoldered and data is now slowly dripping (28kB/s) through ddrescue. Allsocket usb reader could read it. A stack of moorc-socket, socket to sd adapter and transcend sd reader could not, or was ridiculously slow. May be just a matter of reseating the chip on socket.

Now having my fingers crossed for the next few days that the data gets read properly. It's almost like back to the 56kbps-modem -age.

Been following this thread, and I happened to watch this on YouTube (scroll to 10 min mark). Seems like they are trying to develop a commercialized solution. Been watching the entire series on this independent Tesla repair shop, and been pretty interesting / impressive.
Cool vid.. sounds like they are looking to do the same thing we are discussing here for eMMC failures.

Been following this thread, and I happened to watch this on YouTube (scroll to 10 min mark). Seems like they are trying to develop a commercialized solution. Been watching the entire series on this independent Tesla repair shop, and been pretty interesting / impressive.
I saw this video two days ago but couldn't remember what channel it was from. I was going to mention that they planned on making some kind of socket for a quick swap.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make a socket solution. The vibrations and other things that could go wrong with a socket, don't make up for the lack of need to replace the eMMC multiple times. If you were to do this, replace your eMMC with a 16 or 32GB chip, only format the first 8 GB just like the current eMMC and the chip will self wear using the other 8 - 24 GB of extra space to prevent the write issue that causes them to fail. It's not like your going to dump in a new eMMC every year or even every 8 years, just get a bigger chip like @verygreen has indicated on multiple occasions.

To me, 32 GB chips are so cheap, i'd just replace it with that and the car will probably die long before the eMMC does.

Greetings all,
My 2013 MS (VIN 2950-165,000 miles) eMMC quit on me yesterday. Tesla SC quoted $2500. To fix. I would like to get ahold of Ingineerix and coordinate with him and pay him to fix it. I live in central CA, so meeting up will be a non issue. I have had zero trouble with the car until now. While he works on the MS I would like to talk to him about our 2017 MX (58,000 miles) and prevent the same thing from happening. I have searched high and low to my capacity and I am unable to find some contact information. Can someone please direct me to him.
Thank you.
John Gibson

I ordered an All Socket DS3000-USB3.0-emmc153+emmc169 programmer today in order to see if I can see anything on my Hynix chip, based on the communication from their engineer that, although they could not read the H26M42001FMR with their SD-based programmer, they could with this model.

I'll report back when I've had a chance to give it a shot...
This is supposed to arrive today... and I'm supposed to leave for a week's vacation early tomorrow, so unfortunately I'll not get to dabble with it much.

I probably won't be able to resist the temptation to plug it in tonight real quick and have a quick pass at reading the chip...

Reactions: LuckyLuke
Greetings all,
My 2013 MS (VIN 2950-165,000 miles) eMMC quit on me yesterday. Tesla SC quoted $2500. To fix. I would like to get ahold of Ingineerix and coordinate with him and pay him to fix it. I live in central CA, so meeting up will be a non issue. I have had zero trouble with the car until now. While he works on the MS I would like to talk to him about our 2017 MX (58,000 miles) and prevent the same thing from happening. I have searched high and low to my capacity and I am unable to find some contact information. Can someone please direct me to him.
Thank you.
John Gibson
I don't understand how this isn't a recall item/TSB...... $2500 just seems crazy. I have a 2013 also. I'm hoping it dies in my last year of extended warranty...

Might be worth reporting it... File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

If enough people report it. It might result in a TSB/recall. Having your defrost/ac/charging system disabled because of a known issue, at some random time, seems like a safety issue to me...

Last edited:
Just received the emmc reader from allsocket, and some new unused H26M42001FMR chips.

Plugged the reader in my PC, asked if i wanted to format the drive. Took a while, but finished.
Then i tried to copy some files to the 'drive', seemed to work, sort of... but took a long time.
Opening the files did not work, and deleting the files threw some errors.

I then removed C2 from the board, and replaced it with a 1uf capacitor.
Tried everything again. Formatting was much faster, done in a few seconds.
Copying files is performed at 17Mbyte / sec.

So replacing the capacitor fixed the issue i think.

I don't understand why Allsockets 'engineer' could not have found this. Did he ever try?

Anyway, i don't own a MCU1 tesla anymore, so if anybody wants to borrow the adapter, please let me know. (preferably in the NL)