Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Model 3 have this same design flaw?
I would imagine, in theory, every device that ran with solid state memory that requires write-cycles would have this problem. The issue becomes, will the user, of any device, ever reach that threshold of write-cycles where the memory chips can't keep up/can't remap/run out of over provisioning.

Is there a way to accelerate the wear on the eMMC? I'd like to get this fixed under warranty which expires next year.

You can prevent the car from sleeping. Things like running Sentry mode, or setting TeslaFi to not let the car sleep would keep the MCU awake and wearing the eMMC.

Of course it could backfire and your acceleration causes it to wear out right after the warranty expires where if you had left it alone it would have lasted longer... (Depends on the age of your car/MCU and how it has been used to date.)

How can TeslaFi be setup to not let the car sleep?

It was the ability to set a single schedule but not a repeating one. How often does the car need to be woken up?
It’s in settings where you can set the polling interval.

teslafi will occasionally (when idle) stop polling the car for 15 minutes. This time allows the car to sleep.

just turn that off.

I’ll look it up later and get the exact option.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
I didn't find that option but I did find the option to enable "TeslaFi Sleep Mode" under "Settings/Sleep Modes" menu.

If you know of a polling interval option please post.
Should just be able to disable sleep mode.

personally, I wouldn’t do it as there is no guarantee when the failure would happen. And it wastes electricity.

could also enable sentry mode everywhere.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Checking the data it appears my car is an insomniac!

Too bad there's no way to see the health of the eMMC.

Are other eMMC parts better at reporting health status?
The Samsung Magician software installs on computers with Samsung SSD's installed and keeps track of total byte writes. I believe it then tracks that number against the MTBF (mean time between failures) for the NAND chips and/or the drive itself in general, to give you a predictive health of the drive as time goes on. More writes = less health

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The Samsung Magician software installs on computers with Samsung SSD's installed and keeps track of total byte writes. I believe it then tracks that number against the MTBF (mean time between failures) for the NAND chips and/or the drive itself in general, to give you a predictive health of the drive as time goes on. More writes = less health

IIRC the Hynix part doesn't report enough info to make any sort of determination of its health. Not 100% sure though.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia