Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:)View attachment 465552 I guess we’ll have to wait and see but Elon seems to acknowledge this logging issue is understood and worked on (or solved in the latest fw?).

Credits to @wk057 for his relentless support :)

Good to see that Elon acknowledges the problem, however, I am unclear on his proposed fix... software?

e61a90bd-5e5a-4652-9e13-ae0c504de4b0-jpeg.465552

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
If they really cared about this issue it would have been resolved years ago. Most likely Elon is referring to the latest cars but who knows with this vague PR. He could simply say its not a priority but he is a little more careful twitter these days.

Reactions: Ulmo

Great article and nice to see that TMC is mentioned... thanks for sharing.

...every Tesla has an MCU, or main control unit. Version 1, also called MCUv1, equipped Tesla Model S and Model X units up to 2018. When it fails, the car simply stops, as these threads on TeslaMotorsClub.com and on Tesla's official forum show.

Among its many components was an nVidia Tegra ARM-based CPU. Tesla soldered the 8 GB eMMC flash memory chip to the same board of the CPU. When the cars started to be sold, at the beginning of the 2010s, logging was not an issue. “However, since the initial release, Tesla's firmware image size has gone from about 300MB to the full 1GB maximum size,” said Hughes.

:)View attachment 465552 I guess we’ll have to wait and see but Elon seems to acknowledge this logging issue is understood and worked on (or solved in the latest fw?).

This should be, in principle, excellent news for all of us, BUT it's just another Elon's tweet that probably will never be fulfilled... or will take too loooooong to mean anything and will be too late for most of us.... :rolleyes:

In fact, it seems that Tesla has just made the opposite, since V10 now automatically saves every small change in the seat positions, for instance.... so our MCU's eMMC will wear even faster :rolleyes::mad:

Elon is probably referring to MCU2's having the same problem but also having much more memory, so it's much beter at this point from a time-to-fail perspective. Tesla shouldn't see it fail in warranty any more and that's all he needs to know. With how badly they're treating customers intentionally now, I don't expect them to fix older software problems that they can continually profit from.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Elon is probably referring to MCU2's having the same problem but also having much more memory, so it's much beter at this point from a time-to-fail perspective. Tesla shouldn't see it fail in warranty any more and that's all he needs to know. With how badly they're treating customers intentionally now, I don't expect them to fix older software problems that they can continually profit from.

I remain optimistic. Jason was quite specific it was about MCU1.
Tesla corrected not so long ago the insane traffic update refresh rate that was having a significant impact for MCU1. I'm pretty confident they will do this correction: this will reduce MCU1 failure and thus Service Center work. SeC are plenty busy, and Tesla is not in the business of making money out of MCU1 repairs.
Some owners might upgrade to a new car just because of MCU2, but that will not be a lot, in my humble opinion, so I don't believe there is a strategy to profit from MCU1 owners in the hope they change cars.

But that's just me.

Just a wild guess here, but wouldn't it be possible to search for the certificates in this raw dump? As the size of each certificate is <8kB they are probably stored in one flash block, and not cut up, and scattered around in the flash.
Yeah, I'd suggest using ghex or similar. Search for known text such as "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----", and then the data should be following that...

Elon once responded to someone asking about keeping the map screen up on the IC when no nav destination was set. He said "sure that's coming" ... but then we got v9, where the map is permanently locked in view on the other screen. He either lies or he doesn't read very well when he replies.

Is the traffic refresh problem fixed? It made the browser unusable... and the browser is still unusable.

• Disagree
Reactions: liuping
In fact, it seems that Tesla has just made the opposite, since V10 now automatically saves every small change in the seat positions, for instance.... so our MCU's eMMC will wear even faster :rolleyes::mad:

I agree, I have Easy Entry set and it saves the driver’s profile at least twice every time I drive the car. Tesla needs to change the code so Easy Entry does not save the profile constantly.

I've now removed/reinstalled my MCU for the third time. So I did what anybody would naturally do, I drilled a hole in it:

2019-10-14_13-44-01_703-small.jpg

In other news, I'm pleased to report I'm no longer hammering the flash with constant logging.

Unfortunately it probably won't be the last time I reinstall the MCU, as my screen is leaking goop... so when I finally have had enough and am forced to shell out for a new one I'll have to do the dance of annoying connectors yet again. I probably will leave my dash disassembled until then....

And another shout-out to @LuckyLuke