Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the 12 V battery issue could be that it is not charging because of the MCU failure? I have an appointment at the service center at the earliest appointment they had, which is 10 days away (works with my current road trip). What are the odds that I can safely drive another 10 days with a failed MCU and a 12 V battery warning? All replies will be highly appreciated.

When my MCU failed, I made several short journeys over the period of a week or so (while waiting for the SC appointment to replace the MCU) - but I had no control over the lights or climate control. In my car, the indicators did work but not the sunroof - luckily, I had closed it when the MCU was still working.

My 12V battery failed at a later date and I drove around for a few weeks with the 12V battery warning message. However, it might be wise to put the 12V battery on a smart charger/battery tender before your long trip.
When the SC performed the 12V battery replacement, I asked them to return the old 12V battery to me and it has since been rejuvenated, after some days connected to a smart charger (CTEK MXS 5.0).

• Informative
Reactions: PaulusdB
When the SC performed the 12V battery replacement, I asked them to return the old 12V battery to me and it has since been rejuvenated, after some days connected to a smart charger (CTEK MXS 5.0).
:) In my case Mobile Service left the 12V battery behind as well, per my request. It has been hooked up to exactly the same CTEK 5A trickle charger and performs normally since.

Reactions: .jg.
The 12V battery will still be charged from the HV pack, even with the whole tegra board removed (which contains the eMMC chip). If the MCU is removed then the 12V will not receive charge from the pack.
Your 12V issue is just a coincidental event, but at least sounds like you didn't have a pin to drive set up, otherwise your situation would be a whole lot worse.

That is great to hear. I was concerned that the black main screen was from the MCU failure, and that this would cause the 12 V battery not to be able to charge off the main battery. So that should not be the case?

Yes, I have been able to charge fully without the 20% limit that others have had.
Correct, no PIN set up. Tried it years ago and gave it up right away after I left my car at a local car wash, forgot to give them the PIN, and came back a few hours later and it hadn't been moved and I was blocking their customer line).

Just received an email. Tesla will fix this under warranty. 8yrs/100k miles. “Black screen”

No cost repair
I just got the same email, in my case they will reimburse me 41687275-D873-4E87-88F2-88FE21762383.jpeg

What made them to change course?

I haven't found one. I suspect it was the NHTSA investigation and all of the data they analyzed as a result of that. They started using the Micron 64 GB eMMCs starting in May of 2020 in remanufactured MCUs, so I think that this has been coming for a while.

Yes, according to Electrek... Tesla finally acknowledges eMMC failure with its touchscreen, offers extended warranty - Electrek

Earlier this year, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said that it has launched an official investigation into the matter. A few months later, Tesla finally acknowledges the issue and offers an extended warranty on the 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (“8GB eMMC”).

I haven't found one. I suspect it was the NHTSA investigation and all of the data they analyzed as a result of that. They started using the Micron 64 GB eMMCs starting in May of 2020 in remanufactured MCUs, so I think that this has been coming for a while.
Mine was replaced with the refurb MCU1 back in March under warranty. How would I figure out if they used to 64GB emmc, or if the refurb only has an 8GB in it? Nothing on the invoice.

Mine was replaced with the refurb MCU1 back in March under warranty. How would I figure out if they used to 64GB emmc, or if the refurb only has an 8GB in it? Nothing on the invoice.

You got it before they started putting the 64GB eMMC into refurb units, so you can almost be sure you have an 8 GB eMMC module. But it should last much longer than the original one.

A Tesla scam? I am experiencing intermittent screen blackouts, but Tesla says I am not eligible for a free chip replacement! I ask for details but support thus far has only stated their analysis of eMMC vitals is the reason why. If they won't replace the chip, this must imply there are other screen problems that they aren't acknowledging

A Tesla scam? I am experiencing intermittent screen blackouts, but Tesla says I am not eligible for a free chip replacement! I ask for details but support thus far has only stated their analysis of eMMC vitals is the reason why. If they won't replace the chip, this must imply there are other screen problems that they aren't acknowledging

That's why some owners believe this should be a recall instead of warranty extension subject to Tesla's opinion.

I have had several black screen issues. However, Tesla will NOT replace my chip for no charge. This is their reply...
An occasional touchscreen reboot is normal and not indicative of accumulated wear. In the future, if you see an alert on the touchscreen indicating that a memory storage device has degraded, please schedule an appointment.