Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@TonyT, I have a few questions. I just did the Infotainment a week ago, and now I have a eMMC with higher capacity. My questions are:

1. Do you know the number of Gigs for the MCU2 eMMc?
  2. If the MCU2 eMMC fails, do you have the capability to replace it and move all of the data to the replaced eMMC? I know that it has a 2 year and 25,000 warranty. I plan to keep the car longer that the MCU2 warranty.
I believe that you are replacing the current MCU1 eMMCs with a 64 Gig eMMC and I am curious if Tesla upgraded to a 64 Gig eMMC.

Thanks!

1. I do not have that handy.
2. We will be looking into this in the future.
3. Our goto chip is the Swissbit 32 gig chip, I've heard rumors of Tesla upgrading, but never seen an official statement or a actual upgraded board.

My 2015 Model S MCU with about 48K miles failed earlier this week. Unfortunately for me I can't even upgrade to the newer infotainment system because I don't have a power lift gate. Yeah, seriously, that is what I'm told. To get a driveable car, I have to replace with an MCU1 for around $1500 which to my knowledge has the exact same flawed chip and design as the one in my car that just failed. Does anyone know if there's anyone in the Dallas are that does the eMMC chip swap out? I'd probably let it ride under warranty for the year after replacement and then look to see if someone local can do the operation. (Preferable to pulling the MCU myself and then shipping it out, waiting for replacement back and reinstalling myself...)

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
My 2015 Model S MCU with about 48K miles failed earlier this week. Unfortunately for me I can't even upgrade to the newer infotainment system because I don't have a power lift gate. Yeah, seriously, that is what I'm told. To get a driveable car, I have to replace with an MCU1 for around $1500 which to my knowledge has the exact same flawed chip and design as the one in my car that just failed. Does anyone know if there's anyone in the Dallas are that does the eMMC chip swap out? I'd probably let it ride under warranty for the year after replacement and then look to see if someone local can do the operation. (Preferable to pulling the MCU myself and then shipping it out, waiting for replacement back and reinstalling myself...)

Hi, David will be in Dallas soon. Vendor - David99's USA Tesla Center Screen tour, MCU eMMC Does not sound like you need much help with removal though. Swapping the chip is not usually a huge problem, we have seen people do their own or hire that part out with mixed results. Extracting the data and finishing the install is the harder part often with blacked out MCU's. We have done many upgrades and can help with the chip copy and upgrade.

As fas as I know, all EU Tesla MCU1s are simply replaced with the same revision B or C of the Tegra board, and thus the very same emmc chip, with the same design flaw.
Tesla Owner's Group UK has been discussing the issue of MCU1/eMMC failures with Tesla UK (the rate of eMMC failures in the UK seems to be incredibly high this year). Tesla UK indicated that they were now offering refurbished MCU1s for out of warranty eMMC failures at a price less than that of a normal MCU replacement and that refurbished MCU1s come with a 64GB eMMC chip. AFAIK, Tesla did not specify the brand or grade (consumer, industrial, automotive, etc.) of the replacement eMMC chips.

Really disappointing turn of events with these MCU issues. My 70D blacked out last week as others are reporting. The really bad part is that Tesla support seems to consider this a "Oh, well. It happens" kind of thing. When you have a high degree of probability that 100% of the MCUs from this model will fail it is not an "Oh, well." I am hoping at some point here Elon sends one of his famous Tweets saying "Yes" when asked if the MCUs will be covered under "Good will". Too much government involvement is bad, but in all honesty if Tesla won't fix this then I am all for the government jumping in.

..... and that refurbished MCU1s come with a 64GB eMMC chip. AFAIK, Tesla did not specify the brand or grade (consumer, industrial, automotive, etc.) of the replacement eMMC chips.

That is good news for those in the UK who got a refurb MCU. Probably the same chip they are putting in the MCU2.

I know @EV-Fixme was asking if he could check someone in the US who recently received a refurb MCU from Tesla to see what chip they put in, did that ever happen? Does anyone know what chip they are putting in now in the US (or North America) ?

That is good news for those in the UK who got a refurb MCU. Probably the same chip they are putting in the MCU2.

I know @EV-Fixme was asking if he could check someone in the US who recently received a refurb MCU from Tesla to see what chip they put in, did that ever happen? Does anyone know what chip they are putting in now in the US (or North America) ?
We are still waiting for confirmation. We are surprised there is no official statement from Tesla. We would expect the same worldwide as it requires code change.

Some small companies are jumping on this and doing a 3rd party repair. In the Netherlands there are 2 small companies doing the eMMC replacement. They use a 16GB chip from a different supplier that should last at least 10years. The one I went to 2 weeks ago only does it during the evenings and he does like 4 cars every evening ... 550 € full service, cheaper if you dis/assemble yourself. They read out the chip and give you a copy of the certificates. 1 year warranty.

Reactions: cicob and .jg.
It seems Tesla is now offering a Tegra board only replacement for a total of $490:

So I just got off the phone with Tesla service here in Reno and they tell me they are now replacing the Tegra card and that my total in parts and labor for repair of the MCU1 is $490. I glanced at the estimate and it looks like the Tegra card is $120 part and the rest is labor and diagnostic fee.

That seems way more reasonable. Now if they can just have plenty of them available at every service center. (Disadvantage is you probably don't get the 3G to LTE upgrade included, but maybe they would do that at the same time for another ~$120?)

Really disappointing turn of events with these MCU issues. My 70D blacked out last week as others are reporting. The really bad part is that Tesla support seems to consider this a "Oh, well. It happens" kind of thing. When you have a high degree of probability that 100% of the MCUs from this model will fail it is not an "Oh, well." I am hoping at some point here Elon sends one of his famous Tweets saying "Yes" when asked if the MCUs will be covered under "Good will". Too much government involvement is bad, but in all honesty if Tesla won't fix this then I am all for the government jumping in.

Its clearly NOT an Oh Well thing, Tesla logs a ton of data back to the mothership and if you think that data isnt a significant portion of the company's value then you are sadly mistaken. You dont think they knew JUST how long they could log data until EMMC failure? You dont think they PLANNED on having them fail JUST out of warranty? HA! The LEAST they could do is replace the MCU gratis...

Reactions: wjhepworth
Mój TMS ma miesiąc do końca 4-letniej gwarancji, MCU zawiesza się, jeśli jeżdżę trochę dłużej, zgłosiłem problemy online i SC, ale powiedzieli mi, że eMMC nadal mają około 30%, to nic nie zrobią, aż do ekranu robi się czarny to auto będzie na gwarancji i będzie mnie to kosztowało. Nie otrzymuję już aktualizacji, aby awaria nie wystąpiła w okresie gwarancyjnym. Na ostatnim TMS było prawie tak samo, za nowy MCU zapłaciłem chwilę po wygaśnięciu gwarancji

Mój TMS ma miesiąc do końca 4-letniej gwarancji, MCU zawiesza się, jeśli jeżdżę trochę dłużej, zgłosiłem problemy online i SC, ale powiedzieli mi, że eMMC nadal mają około 30%, to nic nie zrobią, aż do ekranu robi się czarny to auto będzie na gwarancji i będzie mnie to kosztowało. Nie otrzymuję już aktualizacji, aby awaria nie wystąpiła w okresie gwarancyjnym. Na ostatnim TMS było prawie tak samo, za nowy MCU zapłaciłem chwilę po wygaśnięciu gwarancji
Not much you can do under warranty if Tesla will not replace. Good news is there new fix is $120+labor, which in Poland might not be as much (in US the total varies between $347 and $490 for the Tegra board replacement, labor included). Alternatively, find someone locally who can replace your emmc chip, though that will likely cost you similar price, so the only thing you get is peace of mind and likely a more robust emmc which will outlive the car.

In SC Poland they do not provide the eMMC exchange service just all MCU but only when screan is black I'm going to go to the netherlands there is a company replacing eMMC in 2 hours for 550eur. if the Polish SC would like to do it for this amount, I would do it without thinking immediately