Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess would be they’ve exhausted the pre-order backlog for LR AWD and Performance and the amount of new orders for those trims isn’t keeping up with the production numbers.

Doesn’t this remove the price difference between the LR RWD and LR AWD? Maybe this is how they are addressing all those pre-orders for LR RWD.

It is still a $2k difference between the RWD and AWD, wondering what will happen to my LR RWD option..

Reactions: Electroman
It's funny how common price drops and special incentives are for every other car manufacturer but when Tesla does it...

I can pretty much guarantee the drop in price is not because they want to make less money. While I am sure initial release sales are good. They must be forecasting less demand for the Y already. Maybe some people canceled orders due to covid, cybertruck, machE. Who knows.
There is more competition now and forthcoming than model 3 had.

It's normal to adjust prices. The other car companies do it monthly. You should all be able to get the lower price up until you actually accept the vehicle.

We ordered almost a year ago and pricing details on our vehicle shows:
Model Y $41,000.00
Long Range All-Wheel Drive $11,000.00
Seven Seat Interior $3,000.00
Black and White Premium Interior $1,000.00
Full Self-Driving Capability $6,000.00
---
Purchase Price $62,000.00

Whereas the current order page shows:
Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive $49,990
Black and White Premium Interior $1,000
Full Self-Driving Capability $8,000
---
Purchase Price $58,990

So it's $10 cheaper assuming one could order 3rd row for $3k. I suppose it's a good time to try to edit the design for the tow hitch for $1000 instead of paying $1200 for after-delivery installation. Maybe Tesla will be generous and keep the old FSD price… :confused:

Reactions: DanCar
I think Tesla REALLY intends to win.
They're vacuuming up the majority of the EV customers and money.
Do you think their competitors have $3000 of additional margin to cut?
I'd be interesting to be a fly in their competitors' board rooms--I imagine it must be discouraging the way Tesla can rock the market.

I remember when Apple released the first iPad about 10 years ago and nearly everyone thought it'd cost a cool $1000 being a premium product and all. Apple released it for $800. That $200 killed a lot of their competitors hopes and dreams. Apple has owned the tablet market since and been improving the iPad and reducing prices steadily.

It's funny how common price drops and special incentives are for every other car manufacturer but when Tesla does it...

I can pretty much guarantee the drop in price is not because they want to make less money. While I am sure initial release sales are good. They must be forecasting less demand for the Y already. Maybe some people canceled orders due to covid, cybertruck, machE. Who knows.
There is more competition now and forthcoming than model 3 had.

Either way it's normal to adjust prices. The other car companies do it monthly.

It is still a $2k difference between the RWD and AWD, wondering what will happen to my LR RWD option..
I think this price drop will cause a good chunk of the LR RWD backlog orders to upgrade given that the difference is only $2K. I am beginning to think LR RWD will never be made and the remaining LR RWD orders probably would need to upgrade to LR AWD or downgrade to SR when it becomes available. I was planning for late this year or early next year on my LR RWD order, so I will continue to wait for the time being.

I think this price drop will cause a good chunk of the LR RWD backlog orders to upgrade given that the difference is only $2K. I am beginning to think LR RWD will never be made and the remaining LR RWD orders probably would need to upgrade to LR AWD or downgrade to SR when it becomes available. I was planning for late this year or early next year on my LR RWD order, so I will continue to wait for the time being.

Same here, after contemplating upgrading since $2k difference (might be $2.5k since I have induction wheels) isn't that much for an additional motor I'm probably going to wait it out since I'm not in a rush to get it anymore since I've already waited this long in addition to I don't drive enough lately to need a new car.. Just going to wait it out and see what they do, just bummed my $2500 reservation fee could be $15,000 if I had bought TSLA stock.

Reactions: lazybot
I think this price drop will cause a good chunk of the LR RWD backlog orders to upgrade given that the difference is only $2K.
Technically, last March at Model Y Unveil, basic Autopilot was an additional $3k after-purchase upgrade, so in some sense, the current AWD offering at $49,990 is cheaper and better specced (316mi, 135mph, 4.8s) than the original LR RWD:
model y lineup.png

(Yes, Model 3 prices only went up by $1k when basic Autopilot was included.)

Technically, last March at Model Y Unveil, basic Autopilot was an additional $3k after-purchase upgrade, so in some sense, the current AWD offering at $49,990 is cheaper and better specced (316mi, 135mph, 4.8s) than the original LR RWD:
View attachment 563573
(Yes, Model 3 prices only went up by $1k when basic Autopilot was included.)
That is true. In addition the standard wheel size also increased from 18" at unveil to 19". The main reason for me to hold on to the LR RWD reservation (with $2500 deposit) is that that I did not need the AWD (I have a LR RWD Model 3) down here in Texas and there was a $5K price for the upgrade until now. Since I do not need the vehicle right way I will wait and see what Tesla does with LR RWD.

How does the PUP get 11 more miles of range? I assume that's software... I really hope they push this out, my car is down to about 270 now.. really would like some extra miles please Tesla :)

Also this is a slap in the face to early adopters, I mean 3k drop in 4 months! Throw us a bone, maybe a free t-shirt come on.

How does the PUP get 11 more miles of range? I assume that's software... I really hope they push this out, my car is down to about 270 now.. really would like some extra miles please Tesla :)

Also this is a slap in the face to early adopters, I mean 3k drop in 4 months! Throw us a bone, maybe a free t-shirt come on.
Clearly this is your first Tesla...

Oh it is.. but seriously how did it get 291 miles, would love the details there! Don't get me wrong still love the car, just would like the extra miles unlocked if possible
It’s unlikely that they’re “unlocking” more kwh in the battery or have a software update that improves the PUP’s efficiency. Just like how the Model S LR+ had already been capable of 400+ miles for months, this likely simply reflects the EPA acknowledging the PUP as more efficient than originally rated. This means the “upgrade” would just be the on-board range estimate reflecting the new efficiency ratings, but not changing the effective range anyone has already been experiencing.