Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price drops before you take delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm scheduled to take delivery tomorrow, and just today got the purchase order agreement. So when I price out my S75D online today, I see that its $85,000. But the price on the inventory car that I ordered a month ago with the same options is $89,300. I guess this happened because of how they combined some things... They did give me a $2500 inventory discount, so its really $86,800, but I feel like I am kinda overpaying by $1800 at least. I haven't given them the final check yet. Should I still be charged the $86,800, or $85,000, or is it fair to ask for $82,500?
Anyone else been in this same situation?

For new cars (meaning ‘new orders, cars being built), they adjust the price. I got $2K off my 3 as they changed the price twice just before the MR came out.

But they could say inventory cars are different. Hmmm. Anyone had experience with this? You can make a case for inventory being ‘new’. Completely. Or not.

Did you get Full Self Driving when you ordered it? I believe the cost of that was $3000.00. When you build a car now on the website, it does not have that option. So, with FSD, the price online now would be $3000 more which is about what you paid.

You bought at the wrong time. They may be willing to work with you, they may not. This is one of the disadvantages to the lack of traditional sales model.

If I were you I would try and get the brand new car for less money. Paying over retail for an inventory car makes no sense.

Problem with that is that if I ordered a new car, I really question if I would be able to get it by the end of the year, and I would miss out on the $3750 tax credit. Even if it did get delivered on time, I'll be traveling at the end of the year, and I might not be back in time to take delivery before Jan 1st. I'd be happy if they just offered me the 4 year extended warranty for free.

You're an adult and can make your own decisions, but how is the IRS going to know when you file in March/April if you took delivery the last week of Dec or second week of Jan? They've never asked me for my sales paper work

You're an adult and can make your own decisions, but how is the IRS going to know when you file in March/April if you took delivery the last week of Dec or second week of Jan? They've never asked me for my sales paper work
I imagine there’s substantially more incentive to check when the difference between 12/31 and 1/1 amounts to $3,750.

I think up until this year, no other manufacturer hit the 200,000 car limit, so there was no need to question any delivery date.

If you order by 11/30 Tesla is garunteeing delivery by end of year. and it's still 7500 as far as I know the 3750 hits in Q1-19

I just don't trust tesla to make it and get it here in a month. It took over a month to have this inventory car delivered to me from AZ. And I won't likely be at home to take delivery at the end of the year.

Order a new car, especially considering they're promising end of year delivery (which isn't always the case).

Right now, I'm really only overpaying by $1800, thanks to the $2500 inventory discount they gave me up front. So if I ordered new, I'd be saving $1800. I would definitely loose the yearly 400 kwh supercharger credit. I'm hoping to keep the car at least 10 years, so that's about $920 right there. And there's a good chance I'd loose $3750 on the federal tax rebate. I think my best option is to ask nicely and hope for the best.

I had the same experience as the OP. Upgraded wheels used to be a $2500 option. During my purchase, Tesla lowered the retail price of the upgrade to $1500. Tesla immediately adjusted my price down. I was also very pleased but this was a different day than today, i.e., before M3 maddness.

I was purchasing an inventory vehicle that was brand new with 13 miles on it at delivery.