Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price of used Model 3s is amazing right now! [Summer 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are selling a vehicle :

If you want to buy a vehicle:

Reactions: A2be
Where is the proper forum to discuss Model 3 "used vehicle" sales? It doesn't seem to be included within the scope listed for this "Ordering/Production/Delivery" area... but I cannot find where such content should go. Thanks for the help!
Are you discussing pricing or how to buy a used one through Tesla or a third party? I think that fits here. If you want to list one to sell or want to buy then see above.

Reactions: DanCar
Are you discussing pricing or how to buy a used one through Tesla or a third party? I think that fits here. If you want to list one to sell or want to buy then see above.
Not really either of those. I just wanted to share the astonishing high price I've been offered by CarMax (and Carvana) for my particular 2019 Mod3 ST+. Seemed others might find it interesting.

So I put a post into the Tesla for sale subforum a few minutes ago.

Same experience here. Don’t have car,as as they wanted me to drive in since they don’t have enough data...More like, we want to hard sell you...

Carvana will pay me $38.5k for my 2020 SR+ with 20k miles. I got it as a demo for 40k (red with sport wheels). 17k miles added and only depreciated $1500 is insane ($100/mo I’ve driven it). Tesla offered $28k. They are selling a 2019 Sr+ with 25k miles and fsd for $46.9k. Even subtracting the full $10k for fsd that means $36.9k. Mine is a year newer and they stand to make at least $18.9k profit by adding a free software upgrade...definitely not trading in with Tesla when the time comes if these values hold.

• Informative
Reactions: raptor5244 and A2be
CarMax gave me a new offer: $37,000 for my 2019 grey Model 3 SR+ with just under 19k miles, for which I paid only $36,000 list in April 2019, 2+ yrs ago.
... but actually paid just $27,250 after Federal and Colorado state incentives came in when I filed my taxes.

That's 103% of list.--or 136% of what I paid after the US tax subsidies--for 26 months of ownership of a new car. Crazy.

And its the best car I've ever driven, hands down. Imagine. Being well compensated for a great driving experience.

(for comparison, Tesla offered me only $27,600 to sell my used Model 3 to them)

^Why I won't buy a used Tesla. When I can buy one new for 2k more with 4yr/50k warranty, battery that goes further and FSD subscription coming, plus other minor improvements, especially with interior. But hey...to each his own.

I'm waiting for the cars with FSD when the subscription comes out to drop $6k in value overnight.

Crazy used car prices right now and not just Teslas. Low new car inventories due to chip shortages, and rental car companies desperately looking to replenish their fleets have been two primary causes. It's a great time to be selling a used car but not so much a great time to buy one. If someone is in a position to go without a car for a couple of months, this could be the time to sell and then wait to buy when inventories and prices are back to normal again.

Reactions: raptor5244
If they had passed the tax credit to go in effect q3+ I would definitely be selling my 3 to pay for a new LR Y. I think values will stay high because of chip shortages and I believe the latest tax credit version has a clause for used evs as well.

Carvana will pay me $38.5k for my 2020 SR+ with 20k miles...

CarMax gave me a new offer: $37,000 for my 2019 grey Model 3 SR+ with just under 19k miles...
Why are you guys just sitting there posting about this? Cash out and laugh your way back to Tesla.com!

SR+ is currently listed at $41,290 plus another ~$2K in tax + registration - rebates. So for $5K-$6K you get a significantly updated model with HW3, heat pump, improved center console, matrix headlights, power trunk, black trim, dual pane front windows, heated steering wheel, and a brand new higher capacity battery along with fresh tires/paint/vinyl/etc. plus an extra year or two of warranty. That's a hellova deal if you can manage to sell now and wait 'till Sept 31st for your replacement.

Same experience here. Don’t have car,as as they wanted me to drive in since they don’t have enough data...More like, we want to hard sell you...

Carvana will pay me $38.5k for my 2020 SR+ with 20k miles. I got it as a demo for 40k (red with sport wheels). 17k miles added and only depreciated $1500 is insane ($100/mo I’ve driven it). Tesla offered $28k. They are selling a 2019 Sr+ with 25k miles and fsd for $46.9k. Even subtracting the full $10k for fsd that means $36.9k. Mine is a year newer and they stand to make at least $18.9k profit by adding a free software upgrade...definitely not trading in with Tesla when the time comes if these values hold.
That’s a great deal. As you know, we have the same car. Mine only has 3,500 miles and Carvana offered me 36,600. Same red, sport wheels, SR+
EABBDD23-6DE4-4B1C-B363-DE06BD4D6AA9.png

Why are you guys just sitting there posting about this? Cash out and laugh your way back to Tesla.com!

SR+ is currently listed at $41,290 plus another ~$2K in tax + registration - rebates. So for $5K-$6K you get a significantly updated model with HW3, heat pump, improved center console, matrix headlights, power trunk, black trim, dual pane front windows, heated steering wheel, and a brand new higher capacity battery along with fresh tires/paint/vinyl/etc. plus an extra year or two of warranty. That's a hellova deal if you can manage to sell now and wait 'till Sept 31st for your replacement.
But also remember you'll lose radar if you go this route. :)

Crazy used car prices right now and not just Teslas. Low new car inventories due to chip shortages, and rental car companies desperately looking to replenish their fleets have been two primary causes. It's a great time to be selling a used car but not so much a great time to buy one. If someone is in a position to go without a car for a couple of months, this could be the time to sell and then wait to buy when inventories and prices are back to normal again.
Just be sure you have some wiggle room on that "couple of months" without a car. I just sold my ICE car for top dollar anticipating that the mid-June EDD was accurate for my 4/7 order of a zero optioned model 3 long range. Now my EDD has jumped back one month to July 5-25 in the past few days so we're looking at a 3.5 month delay (and likely still increasing) for deliveries in Oregon. If they keep stripping key features and raising prices, or if the 2% interest rate environment goes away, those delays may decrease but I doubt it.

That’s a great deal. As you know, we have the same car. Mine only has 3,500 miles and Carvana offered me 36,600. Same red, sport wheels, SR+
View attachment 671347
May 29th, looks like I remembered it being a bit higher. But weird about the mileage difference and being a higher price but maybe the market has “softened” a bit in a week and a half.
1623297590831.png

And Vroom for reference on same day. Carmax wanted me to bring my car in since they didn’t have enough information to give me a online quote...
1623297751951.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RedWhite19
May 29th, looks like I remembered it being a bit higher. But weird about the mileage difference and being a higher price but maybe the market has “softened” a bit in a week and a half.
View attachment 671497
And Vroom for reference on same day. Carmax wanted me to ring my car in since they didn’t have enough information to give me a online quote...
View attachment 671498
Not that I plan on selling it anytime soon but indeed, it is interesting to see such a difference. Perhaps if you do it today, you may get a different number.

I tried doing the MY SR, they wouldn’t do it online. They wanted to send one of their appraisers.

Yeah, I was checking to see a value in case tax rebates get passed. Have an order in for LR Y but holding for tax rebates While keeping price locked in. Hopefully it’ll be Jan 1 and I can release my hold in December and get in line but not too early.

It would be interesting to see how they value the MY SR.

Reactions: RedWhite19