Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prices just Dropped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid for my car $72,500 (without tax and $1200 delivery) in December and I don't even have FSD just EAP. You can now get Model 3 Performance $57990. That's a $14,500 difference which is 20% less than I paid 7 months ago. I do not agree with fanboys saying that we should get over it.

Your actual difference is around 6100, not 14k. You would have to buy FSD now to get same feature set (whether you use EAP or not you bought it). Price with EAP us 60,990. Difference in tax credit NOW vs then is 5375 (7250-1875). 6k is a lot of money but its not 14k, and I am not counting whatever (if anything) you have saved driving your car on electricity vs whatever you were paying for gas.

neither does almost anyone else... but everyone (EVERYONE) else in the traditional system pays a DIFFERENT price for their car, even people buying the same car at the same dealership at the same time.

So, for everyone complaining, for your entire life of buying cars, there is ALWAYS someone who got the exact same car cheaper than you, regardless of how good your negotiation skills are. The only difference is, because you are buying through a dealership and not the manufacturer, you dont KNOW what others paid (and no services like truecar do not tell you what everyone really paid.. they are basically advertising for car dealers at this point).

All this gnashing of teeth over price cuts, when every single month every SINGLE car dealer / manufacturer constantly cuts pricing... "SUMMER OF SAVINGS!!" " SUMMER EVENT!" " DECEMBER TO REMEMBER!!!"..... not to mention all of the trunk money (factory to dealer money) that dealers dont have to share with consumers.

These change every single month. People just dont know it.

I say this as someone who got a performance model 3 in december of last year.

Fair points. Another thing to consider is the "new factor". For example, the new Corvette is about to be announced in the next couple days. When it finally goes on sale dealers will more than likely charge $10-20k markups over MSRP on them. Then they will fall to MSRP for a while. About a year or so later there will be discounts on them and 2 years later you may even see incentives. So, over 2 years there are wild swings in prices.

I hope the hate Tesla is getting for these price cuts will make them realize the value of the traditional franchised dealer system. In that, dealers take most of the hate, and customers come to accept that their prices will differ from one another for the same car even on the same day.

Price discrimination (selling the same product at different prices to different people) maximizes revenue, and is done fairly effectively via the dealer network. Tesla on its own can only do what it does already, it can price discriminate across time only-cut prices that is. Technically, nothing is precluding them from trying to price discriminate across people at the same moment in time. Say, aggressively track user data and try to identify less patient/more impulsive buyers and charge them higher prices. But imagine the uproar THAT would cause.

With the dealer network, spacial price discrimination is done by dealers, with a fair share of the proceeds going to the manufacturer. The dealer network also allows the manufacturer to have temporary sales that are hidden from public'ss view and do not generate hate. I honestly believe that a traditional dealer system would've netted Tesla more money and less hate per car sold.

I hope the hate Tesla is getting for these price cuts will make them realize the value of the traditional franchised dealer system. In that, dealers take most of the hate, and customers come to accept that their prices will differ from one another for the same car even on the same day.

Price discrimination (selling the same product at different prices to different people) maximizes revenue, and is done fairly effectively via the dealer network. Tesla on its own can only do what it does already, it can price discriminate across time only-cut prices that is. Technically, nothing is precluding them from trying to price discriminate across people at the same moment in time. Say, aggressively track user data and try to identify less patient/more impulsive buyers and charge them higher prices. But imagine the uproar THAT would cause.

With the dealer network, spacial price discrimination is done by dealers, with a fair share of the proceeds going to the manufacturer. The dealer network also allows the manufacturer to have temporary sales that are hidden from public'ss view and do not generate hate. I honestly believe that a traditional dealer system would've netted Tesla more money and less hate per car sold.
LOL. So to stop the whining, people should have to use a traditional dealer so they can pretend they are getting a good deal. I much prefer Tesla’s model. Americans have this love affair with hiding the true cost of just about everything. From forced tipping to cable bills with lines of add on fees, nothing is straightforward. Tesla has every right to change prices to meet their goals, and I’m fine with that. I’ve been driving my $60k Model 3 LR RWD for a year now and have no regrets.

P3D now starts at $54,990 with an option to get the 18-inch wheels upon request. I sent a request to cancel my existing P3D order (VIN already assigned). The 18-inch option is what I had always preferred, but could not get. This great!
Make sure you still get all of the Performance pack stuff, including the Red brake calipers. The old Performance with 18s did not, as the stock 18" rims won't fit over the calipers.

• Helpful
Reactions: raptor5244
Fair points. Another thing to consider is the "new factor". For example, the new Corvette is about to be announced in the next couple days. When it finally goes on sale dealers will more than likely charge $10-20k markups over MSRP on them. Then they will fall to MSRP for a while. About a year or so later there will be discounts on them and 2 years later you may even see incentives. So, over 2 years there are wild swings in prices.

Absolutely true, but I am trying not to get too much in the weeds on this topic, since many people here like to complain (or whatever other verb you want to use) about price drops on the car they just purchased, like that doesnt happen every day in every car dealership across america. The next argument is normally "but tesla says they are different!" and I always say the ARE different.

For the "most" part, people buying the car new, on the same day, are paying the same price, across the country... which is NOT the case for any other car dealership. People in California pay less for BMWs than people in many other parts of the country... I KNOW this because I used to be one of the main people evaluating deals on (what used to be) one of the largest BMW websites.

I have 22 BMW dealers within 120 miles of me. The BMW I got 1 month for my wife 1 month after I got my model 3 for myself, I got about 5500 under invoice once my incentives were factored in (2.5k under invoice before my incentives). I did fine, but I still know there will be others who got a "better" deal... but I was happy with it so thats all that really matters.

For some reason, people think that tesla is never supposed to change pricing, or that changing pricing signals the deth knell of the company, when every car manufacturer does this every single month. I mentioned my BMW history with evaluating pricing on them.. I checked incentives every month and every month for that brand SOMETHING changed. Residual values, interest rates, trunk money, national incentives etc. Other car dealers are the same, I am just the most familiar with BMW.

I say all this as someone who purchased my model 3 last december, who paid 71,500 prior to destination etc, with EAP. my MVPA shows 78kish. I added FSD during the "fire sale" at 2k, so I am all in at 80k.

Someone else getting my exact same car now would probably be in at 68k ish.. but I got the larger tax credit so I am actually out around 5-6k.. but I have 10k on my car already and love it and am saving 50% over my 435 in "fuel" so... the difference is even less.

Im still upside down some, but probably 2-3k... havent done the exact math because it doesnt matter that much to me.

Why anyone who sees the facts in these price drops (that it happens all the time, and no one who produces goods can keep their price "the same" all the time) is called a "fan boy" is beyond me.

LOL. So to stop the whining, people should have to use a traditional dealer so they can pretend they are getting a good deal. I much prefer Tesla’s model. Americans have this love affair with hiding the true cost of just about everything. From forced tipping to cable bills with lines of add on fees, nothing is straightforward. Tesla has every right to change prices to meet their goals, and I’m fine with that. I’ve been driving my $60k Model 3 LR RWD for a year now and have no regrets.

Spot on.

I'm a lousy American, and hate hidden fees too. Taxes should be included in any price display, too. But what do I know?

I paid what I paid for my Model 3. Whatever they charge someone else today, isn't my concern. If they decide the car sells for $500 and includes a free puppy, then that's a deal for someone. I was satisfied with the price I paid, when I paid it, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it. Whatever pricing other people get doesn't change that one iota.

When I went to Japan a few years ago on a vacation, it was VERY refreshing to find out that "tipping" is not a thing (they were confused by it.. "the price includes good service so what is tipping for?") and taxes were included in pricing too. The price you saw for an item was the price you paid. If something was 14,500 yen, when you paid for it, thats what you paid. I was there 2 weeks and left wondering... "wtf are we doing at home in the US?!?!?"

Your actual difference is around 6100, not 14k. You would have to buy FSD now to get same feature set (whether you use EAP or not you bought it). Price with EAP us 60,990. Difference in tax credit NOW vs then is 5375 (7250-1875). 6k is a lot of money but its not 14k, and I am not counting whatever (if anything) you have saved driving your car on electricity vs whatever you were paying for gas.

Difference is even less than that- Homelink is now $300 extra, the phone cables and 14-50 adapter are now about $50 extra, destination charge has gone up $200 I think... some changes to paint/interior costs that could go either way since last year too.

If Tesla raised prices instead of lowering them and you got yours at the old price, you wouldn't cut Tesla a check out of gratitude, would you?

When I went to Japan a few years ago on a vacation, it was VERY refreshing to find out that "tipping" is not a thing (they were confused by it.. "the price includes good service so what is tipping for?") and taxes were included in pricing too. The price you saw for an item was the price you paid. If something was 14,500 yen, when you paid for it, thats what you paid. I was there 2 weeks and left wondering... "wtf are we doing at home in the US?!?!?"

Canada too... Though if all state/county sales taxes were abolished and replaced with a single federal sales tax that is the same everywhere, I'm sure the US would be happy to include it in all sticker prices. The extreme variation in tax rates is the reason why sticker prices don't include tax. Canada has no excuse for the GST portion though...

No tipping is common in most Asian countries but the Americans still insist on tipping there and now those countries are beginning to expect tips. Please respect their customs! LOL

Has anyone EVER bought any car that they saw advertised on TV or a magazine for the published price? $299 per month really means $499 per month when you walk-out with the car. Same for airlines. $99 airfare ends-up being $300 by the time you're done with all of the fees.

It's our own fault for always shopping for the lowest price. We force sellers to fiddle with the numbers to get you on the hook and then they shake you down later. Once one competitor does it, everyone has to follow in order to compete.

Another example is packaged ice cream. It used to be sold in half gallon containers (2 quarts). One competitor decided to make it 1.5 quarts and dropped their price. The container didn't look much smaller but they won business by doing it. Now they all are 1.5 quarts.

Reactions: ocEVguy
One year is an eternity for cutting edge consumer tech. A 17% premium is not ridiculous for 12 months of “head start”.

No one should buy a Tesla if it stretches them financially.

It stings only in your mind. Nothing tangible has changed for you today. It will have an impact in the future if you want to trade it in but then, counting on trade in value of an EV while the tech has not matured is not smart. If that’s what keeps you up at night, a lease may have been better.

I think your comments are spot-on. FWIW, Looks like about $100/month difference in lease for P3D vs what I got in June delivery.

In decades of car buying/leasing I have learned that within a model year cycle you will almost always find a better deal by waiting longer.

Difference is even less than that- Homelink is now $300 extra, the phone cables and 14-50 adapter are now about $50 extra, destination charge has gone up $200 I think... some changes to paint/interior costs that could go either way since last year too.

Correct. My price in April is actually LOWER than now after considering this.

Stated Price Drop
$58,500 then vs $56,490 now = $2010

LR AWD
White on white
19s
FSD

Lost Savings by Waiting
$1,875 tax credit difference
$300 homelink I use everyday
$50 14-50 cable
$850 SDGE credit I would’ve missed

Total Lost Savings
$3,075

I also had a $5,800 price adjustment in April as well. If I had bought a performance maybe I would be upset, glad I didn’t.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.