Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing change rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(I'm no GM fan nor an Impala fan... but apparently the current gen is VASTLY improved over the outdated rental car fleet crap that it replced.)

Cancel your Tesla order.

Maybe your local General Motors dealer can set you up with a nice deal on a Chevy Impala.

The pricing (on the GM car) won't change --- because nobody really wants one, anyway --- and the Impala is...

"Designed for those who appreciate detail. Refined for those with a passion for driving. The 2015 Chevrolet Impala delivers a level of sophistication, refinement and excitement that’s second to none."

I crack up every time I ready that quote.
As for "nobody really wants one", well I don't want one either but per http://media.gm.com/content/dam/Media/gmcom/investor/2015/mar/GM-Deliveries-March-2015.pdf from General Motors | Investors - Sales | GM.com, 27,221 were sold in the US YTD (down from 36,858 for the same period in 2014).

And per http://media.gm.com/content/dam/Media/gmcom/investor/2015/jan/forth-qtr/Deliveries-December-2014.pdf, 140K units were sold in the US in 2014. That's probably about double all the Model S cars that have ever been sold worldwide.

Yeah yeah... I'm sure many went into fleets, esp. rentals, but still.

I've had a similar experience, but over less important options: I have an 85D in the "production que" for a May delivery. My current configuration has pretty much all of the options except the next gen seats and the new premium interior package (I have the old tech package that includes the power lift gate, cornering & fog lights, etc .... the new premium interior has those and adds some interior refinements). I've exchanged a number of emails with my DS to try and add the seats and the premium interior package (would add just under $2,000 to my current config), but to no avail since "we're too close to production and the parts have been sourced." Does anyone think it's worth trying to call Tesla main number in hopes of getting someone who can make this happen, or just blow it off and go with what undoubtably is still a great car?

I would continue to insist they make the changes. Your car is still at least a month away from being built!

I'll echo everyone else: cancel and reorder. It's only a month; it'll go by much quicker than you think. If you're dropping the money to get your dream car, make sure you're happy.

I was told I would lose my $2500 deposit if I cancelled and and reordered. not sure why everyone keeps saying my deposit can be transferred to a new order. I have had 3 people at Tesla tell me i would lose my deposit so far. (I am trying to add the interior lighting/upgraded interior leather package)

I would continue to insist they make the changes. Your car is still at least a month away from being built!

[/COLOR]
I was told I would lose my $2500 deposit if I cancelled and and reordered. not sure why everyone keeps saying my deposit can be transferred to a new order. I have had 3 people at Tesla tell me i would lose my deposit so far. (I am trying to add the interior lighting/upgraded interior leather package)

My understanding was that it depends on what stage you're at. I thought that past confirmation, it was up to Tesla. And right now, I shouldn't expect Tesla to be particularly generous.

BTW, to add to the Impala vs. Model S sales/delivery numbers, I don't have definitive ones off the top of my head but Tesla Motors - Current Report says
"We built 11,627 vehicles in Q4, thus achieving our production target of 35,000 Model S vehicles in 2014." and "In 2014, about 55% of new Model S vehicles were delivered into North America."

And, as I said earlier, 140K Impalas were sold in the US alone in 2014.

BTW, to add to the Impala vs. Model S sales/delivery numbers, I don't have definitive ones off the top of my head but Tesla Motors - Current Report says
"We built 11,627 vehicles in Q4, thus achieving our production target of 35,000 Model S vehicles in 2014." and "In 2014, about 55% of new Model S vehicles were delivered into North America."

And, as I said earlier, 140K Impalas were sold in the US alone in 2014.

This is consistent with my belief that the majority of humans are either stupid or give no thought of the precious / delicate nature of life.

It takes no "Dare Greatly" sacrifice or risk to build an Impala or any other GM vehicle today.

On topic: OP, while seeking remedy with Tesla regarding price change, should keep in mind that he/she is(?) buying, not only a car, but an actual change in the future.

That's a true "Dare Greatly."

Personally I'd cancel and re-order.

It's not just $4k now, but also $X when you come to sell. (Admitedly given the minor changes you are looking at this might not matter, and I don't know how long you plan on keeping the car.)

It's also worth checking the residual price guarantee terms, is it contingent on what was in play at time of order, or on delivery ?

It used to be based on 50% of a base S60 + 43% on everything above that. As the base model has gone up in price, you'd expect the guarantee has gone up to match. If you have a "ballooned loan", the higher the guarantee the lower you'd expect monthly payments.

In the same predicament as some of you guys.

Ordered a P85D two months ago. It now is waiting to be picked up, so I did a cost comparison between the pricing when I ordered it and the pricing right now, turns out it is $2,620 less now than when it was ordered. The variable in the mix is the Premium Interior and Lighting Package for $3000.

From what I understand, from that package, I currently have:
- Power liftgate
- Alcantara headliner, but no accents
- Fog and cornering lights

But I am missing:
- Nappa leather armrests and dashboard
- Alcantara accents
- Interior accent lighting
- Lighted door handles

I could order a new P85D with the missing Premium Interior Lighting package and have it be only $380 more than what I am paying now.

Took the issue up with my DS, I explained the issue and offered up two possible scenarios.

1) Credit me the cost difference of $2,620 on the purchase price of the existing vehicle
2) Retrofit the missing items and allow me to pay the additional $380 needed to get the vehicle up to par with what a new one would be

The DS denied both possibilities. That being said, DS pointed out that I also have the rear next generation seats, which would not be available in a new car. Not really a show stopper for me, but I understand that it has value.

All this is coupled with the fact that over the same period in time, from ordering to delivery, IL has rescinded it's EV tax credit of $3,500. Add both of these together, I am taking over a $6,000 hit.

Still decided what to do, but I don't particularly like either option.

Apparently people are so entitled that getting exactly what they ordered at exactly the price they agreed to pay isn't good enough for them anymore. People also want to ensure that nobody else might get a better deal than they did.

Newsflash, nothing bad has happened to you because someone else got a better deal afterwards. If the deal you were offered when you confirmed wasn't good enough for you, you shouldn't have agreed to it!

Apparently people are so entitled that getting exactly what they ordered at exactly the price they agreed to pay isn't good enough for them anymore. People also want to ensure that nobody else might get a better deal than they did.

Newsflash, nothing bad has happened to you because someone else got a better deal afterwards. If the deal you were offered when you confirmed wasn't good enough for you, you shouldn't have agreed to it!
I have no horse in this race, but my problem is: the transaction did not happened yet, it is just initial agreement. Tesla did not deliver car yet, because is not ready. Let say, price for item is a reflection of cost, if that the case, than cars set for production will cost less and should be reasonable to sell them at new price. If car was delivered and transaction was finalized than I have no problem with that.

I have no horse in this race, but my problem is: the transaction did not happened yet, it is just initial agreement. Tesla did not deliver car yet, because is not ready. Let say, price for item is a reflection of cost, if that the case, than cars set for production will cost less and should be reasonable to sell them at new price. If car was delivered and transaction was finalized than I have no problem with that.
Sorry, you're saying you shouldn't have to honour your commitment to purchase, when they are honouring all the terms set out for the sale, just because someone else got a better deal. There is no situation I can think of where finding out that your contract is different than someone else's contract should allow you to break your commitment. You signed without anyone putting a gun to your head, you thought the agreement was reasonable when you agreed to it, nothing has changed in that agreement.

I have zero sympathy for anyone who gets what they agreed to for the price they agreed to pay. I don't care if Tesla cuts the price in half and doubles the range 5 minutes after I confirm my order, I'll still have gotten exactly what I ordered.

Sorry, you're saying you shouldn't have to honour your commitment to purchase, when they are honouring all the terms set out for the sale, just because someone else got a better deal. There is no situation I can think of where finding out that your contract is different than someone else's contract should allow you to break your commitment. You signed without anyone putting a gun to your head, you thought the agreement was reasonable when you agreed to it, nothing has changed in that agreement.

I have zero sympathy for anyone who gets what they agreed to for the price they agreed to pay. I don't care if Tesla cuts the price in half and doubles the range 5 minutes after I confirm my order, I'll still have gotten exactly what I ordered.

I guess you noticed that Tesla already corrected OP problem to his satisfaction. I did deposit, ordering thing once, and will not do it anymore. BTW, I wonder how long this designing, deposit process will last at some point have to finish, and all those problems will be gone. Select, pay and all is done, no drama, no anxiety.