Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Party Purchase (Out of State)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I couldn't think of the exactly right place to post. I'm purchasing a Tesla from a seller in Oakland, CA and I'm based in Scottsdale, AZ. We have agreed on price, the car has been inspected and everything seems like a go. I'd like to line up financing and the seller has a lien on the car. Trying to figure out the logistics and had some questions:
  • Any recommendations for best rate financing rates for used Teslas? I did see some repeated mentions for Financial Partners Credit Union (fpcu.org). Their website shows 3.49% for 60 mos, 3.74% for 61 to 72 mos. Not sure if this applies to private party or not.
  • Any recommendations for shipping companies? I saw mentions of Plycar in multiple posts.
  • What is the procedure to get this done?
Appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks!

I purchase a private party Tesla from another state, via Digital Federal CU as well (I recommend). It is pretty simple. You pay for the car and the signed title, then go and register the vehicle at your local DMV. That is also where you pay the taxes on the car, at least in Wisconsin.

Are you sure you can buy a Calf car? I tried and there was a 5k tax to get title from Calf.
Must pay the tax break they got is what happened to me.
I purchased a car in November 2017 from San Jose CA and drove it back home to AZ. I did not have to pay any tax like you are describing. CA does have a strange title system involving “digital titles” so I had to work with the seller and the seller’s bank to get the transaction completed. But no tax on private party sales in AZ.

Reactions: Ghosty and Rahul
It must be an enclosed trailer for that price, why not fly and drive? Heck I'd drive it back for 1/2 that price..
That price seems steep for a short drive, I had a car shipped from Alabama to AZ for 825 and could have got it cheaper if I waited....

I think Plycar is enclosed trailer. So who did you use for $825? Open to suggestions! I did the math, $100 one-way flight, $300 food/lodging, 2 days of time. At $1325 driving it myself would be worth it but for<= $800-900 I'd def ship it.

Thanks!

Your CA seller should have the physical California title with a lien you will need his lender to release (or the lender may hold the actual title, states vary) but you definitely want to take his endorsed CA title to AZ MVD for your new AZ title and plates -- AZ will charge no sales tax on this private party sale and you never touch CA DMV so they can't charge tax either.

Also, some AZ MVD clerks do not know about the 99% or whatever percent reduction in AZ registration fees for Alt Fuel cloud plates and will try to charge you full freight. For a used Tesla you should pay $100 total or less for 5, yes FIVE, years! Make sure you buy FIVE years because that reduction expires Dec 31 and you won't be able to renew at old, good rate. 5 year cloud plates will be valid the whole 5 years. Heck, some clerks may try to sell you the regular, non-Alt Fuel plate so don't let them do that either. You need the cloud plate for HOV access even in a Tesla! Ask for a supervisor if they give you any guff.

On shipping: $1325 is a complete ripoff. Should be less than half that, even for delivery to your door. You can always save even more money by having it delivered to a central location, especially one of the big auto auctions in Chandler or Tolleson where they are already going to drop a good part of their load. Absolute cheapest trucking will be around $500.

Why not take a long weekend and drive back? Especially along the coast? Lots of folks pay for that trip, not do it to save a bunch.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy your new car!

@ArizonaP85 thanks for the tips. Do you have a website to recommend for one of those auction sites?
The auctions themselves won't transport but lots of transporters use their locations as central pick up or drop off points. Brokers arrange the transport, often putting them on Central Dispatch, a hauling listing service. PM me and I can give you a broker's name as well as a trucking company that hauls a lot of cars between AZ and CA. The faster you need it, the more likely you are to pay, especially around the holidays. Not a huge amount more, maybe $100 on short haul like this. But you definitely want to get in to MVD by Dec 31 when registration discount ends, probably save you at least a $1000 over 5 years, maybe a lot more depending upon how new it is.

Update

Check with Plycar about shipping from Oakland, CA to Scottsdale, AZ. They're quoting me $1325 for a 12 hr / 750mi drive. Seems reasonable. Anyone think I should try elsewhere?
Yeah that's expensive if you ask me dependent on the service offered: ie covered inside carrier vs outside on trailer. UShip is a great website I've used in the past and via UShip I can get a car from San Fran to VA for $1400.
Dzm

The auctions themselves won't transport but lots of transporters use their locations as central pick up or drop off points. Brokers arrange the transport, often putting them on Central Dispatch, a hauling listing service. PM me and I can give you a broker's name as well as a trucking company that hauls a lot of cars between AZ and CA. The faster you need it, the more likely you are to pay, especially around the holidays. Not a huge amount more, maybe $100 on short haul like this. But you definitely want to get in to MVD by Dec 31 when registration discount ends, probably save you at least a $1000 over 5 years, maybe a lot more depending upon how new it is.

Wait, what?!? Where did you hear they are doing away with the reduced registration fees at the end of the year? Is there a way to register for 5 additional years if I still have 1 year left?

Alternate Fuel Vehicle