Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Unlimited Supercharging on Used Private Party Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2018 P3D+ this weekend from a private seller. Part of his spec sheet included the free unlimited supercharging. However, after registering it in my name and logging into my account it appears that I am now on pay-per-use. At the end of the day it's not a huge loss for me, but still disappointing given that there is a new Level 3 SC nearby.

• Any way to bitch and moan to get this feature back? Shouldn't it be a feature tied to the vehicle, not the owner?
  • How does pay-per-charge work? If I go to my SC how will I know I'm being charged vs getting free unlimited?
I've seen a couple threads on here about this, but it seemed to be pertaining to vehicles sold CPO through tesla and not private party.

Free unlimited Supercharging hasn't been tied to the vehicle since early 2017, so no you likely can't convivence Tesla to re-enable it. (And it was never transferrable on the Model 3.)

The Supercharging charges should show up on the screen in your car as well as in your account online. (Not to mention billed to your credit card.)

Free unlimited Supercharging hasn't been tied to the vehicle since early 2017, so no you likely can't convivence Tesla to re-enable it. (And it was never transferrable on the Model 3.)

The Supercharging charges should show up on the screen in your car as well as in your account online. (Not to mention billed to your credit card.)

Bummer, I had someone tell me if the original owner was to transfer the account to me then it would potentially keep it, but oh well. Hoping they discount EAP to FSD upgrade in the near future so I can jump on that.

On the Tesla site there are plenty of used cars that say they come with free Supercharging, but you're saying that only applies to cars from pre-2017?

• Informative
Reactions: Petermcg
On the Tesla site there are plenty of used cars that say they come with free Supercharging, but you're saying that only applies to cars from pre-2017?

The FUSC only transfers in a private party sale if the car was pre ~February-2017. Tesla can offer any car they sell with FUSC now, but it won't transfer to the next owner in a private party sale. (Which gets really messy as Tesla could sell a used 2016 that has no longer has transferrable FUSC.)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The FUSC only transfers in a private party sale if the car was pre ~February-2017. Tesla can offer any car they sell with FUSC now, but it won't transfer to the next owner in a private party sale. (Which gets really messy as Tesla could sell a used 2016 that has no longer has transferrable FUSC.)

The whole thing is whacky and it's impossible to find this info on their site. I tried getting the seller to switch the credentials over but he has another Tesla tied to the same account so it was getting messy and he got uncomfortable, which I understand

It's probably not really worth a huge amount... unless you were planning to charge there weekly instead of ever plugging in at home (which you shouldn't do, bad for the battery, taking up a spot, etc).

Maybe ask the owner to refund ~$500 to $750 of the purchase price? Probably about the value out of unlimited supercharging over the next two years or something.

If you got a Model 3P that had unlimited supercharging, It might also have premium connectivity. THAT is supposed to stay with the car under private party sale, which will save you 9.99 a month over what someone buying one now or any time after June of 2018.

Do you have premium connectivity?

Connectivity

If you got a Model 3P that had unlimited supercharging, It might also have premium connectivity. THAT is supposed to stay with the car under private party sale, which will save you 9.99 a month over what someone buying one now or any time after June of 2018.

Do you have premium connectivity?

Connectivity

for whatever reason it didnt have premium connectivity and i didnt get it after the fact obviously outside of the 30 day trial. That said, i would have much preferred that over the FUSC