Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pro/Cons Home Charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are just a few thoughts.

a.) cheapest way to charge, has Tesla plug on the end of cord (no adapter needed) limited to 32 amps, charge cord is easier to wrestle with than the wall connector cord, not as easy to keep UMC packed in the car for off site charging.

b.) Bit more money, can charge up to 48 amps (long range cars), has Tesla end on cord, able to keep UMC packed in the car for off site charging.

c.). Don't see much advantage for Charge Point station unless you get for a low price. Will have to keep your J adapter on Charge Point since they don't have a native Tesla end on their cable. Always best to keep a J adapter in your glovebox for using non-Tesla chargers when traveling. One advantage is you can keep your UMC in the car at all times.

One (possibly minor or extraneous) comment -- My local utility (Eversource) here in MA has just started a program for EV charging that gives you up to $300 back (over 3 years) if you agree to let them manage the charging rates via selected CharegPoint devices that are WiFi enabled. The charge current gets adjusted to help manage system demand, but they promise you will still get a full charge. This replaced their Time of Use (TOU) program for residential users.
Other utilities around here offer incentives for charger installation and some may restrict you to specific types of equipment.
So, before deciding on how to charge, you might inquire of your utility to see if they have any incentives for particular types of charging equipment.

We went with a). Cheap. Easy.

b) Gives you a faster charge than a) (LR only). More expensive to install. In a year and a quarter, we've never needed the faster charge. Overnight on option a) is plenty. This allows you to leave the UMC in the car, if that matters. (At first we cared about this, and over time as we became more confident about the availability of chargers, we stopped carrying our UMC with us.)

c) I see no advantage unless you have (or plan to have) a non-Tesla EV as well. Unless something like what @David29 mentioned applies to you.

I installed two wall chargers and one 14-50 in three houses. I really like having the wall charger and its faster speeds. Certainly the 14-50 option is cheapest. If you have a long wire run from the panel to the outlet, a 6-50 will be a bit cheaper than a 14-50 (three conductors vs. four. Then buy a 6-50 plug for the UMC.

As charleyBC said, not an advantage to use J-plug unless getting a another car or some sort of rafe advantage. A bit more annoying plugging in, another item to get misplaced.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you go 14-50 don't cheap out on the plug.
I bought the wall connector because my alternative was buying a second mobile connector.
I like to 48 amps out of the wall connector, but I can't say it is necessary. 48 amps may be better at battery warming than the 14-50, but I'm not sure

Besides convenience, are there pros & cons of different home charging options?

a) using the mobile charger cable connected to a NEMA 14-50 240V outlet
b) using the Tesla Wall connector Silver Wall Connector
c) using other Home Charging Stations such as ChargePoint Home Charging Stations

A) Cheapest, even with buying a second UMC. Works awesome for most folks. Compatible with over EVs and campers
B) A lot prettier, slightly higher charging, not compatible with anything else
C) A pain. You've got to use the adapter and you've got to use manual locking and unlocking of the port.

One more point: Tesla's Mobile Connector carries no NEMA weather rating. Although I've seen reports of people using them outside for extended periods with no problems, I've also seen reports of them failing when used in this way. A permanently-wired Wall Connector or third-party EVSE is also harder to steal than a device that simply plugs into an outlet (although the latter can be secured in various ways, with some extra hardware and effort). Thus, if you'll be using the EVSE outside, I recommend either using a Wall Connector (which carries a NEMA 3R weather rating) or a third-party EVSE with a NEMA 3R or NEMA 4 rating; or at least mounting the Mobile Connector in a box with a NEMA 3R or 4 rating. If you'll be installing and using the equipment in a garage, then this isn't really an issue.

C) A pain. You've got to use the adapter and you've got to use manual locking and unlocking of the port.

IMHO, this objection is a little overstated. Swapping the adapter on and off is a minor nuisance, but you can always buy a second adapter and leave it "permanently" attached if this bothers you. Unlocking the port works exactly the same way with a J1772 EVSE as with a Tesla Mobile Connector or Wall Connector -- push the button to stop charging and remove the handle. (This does not work once the car has gone to sleep, though, with either type of EVSE; you must first wake the car up in some way, or unlock the charge port via the Tesla app.) Tesla's EVSEs will open the charge port by pushing the button on the handle, which will not work with a J1772 EVSE, but that barely qualifies as an inconvenience, since with most Teslas, including all Model 3s (and this is a Model 3 sub-forum), tapping the charge-port door does the same thing.

All that said, I agree that a Wall Connector is a better choice than a J1772 EVSE for most Tesla owners who do not also need to charge a non-Tesla vehicle, but the main factor is simply price: The Wall Connector costs $500 and can deliver more amperage than a Model 3 can take (given appropriate house wiring). Most J1772 EVSEs cost at least that much and deliver a maximum of 30A or 32A. J1772 EVSEs that can deliver more than that do exist, but they cost more. Adding a second Tesla adapter, as I suggested above, adds $95 to the cost. Thus, you'd need either a real bargain on the EVSE or some compelling reason (like a need to charge non-Tesla EVs or the sort of program that @David29 mentions) to make a J1772 EVSE worthwhile. FWIW, I'm kind of in that first group; I bought a Clipper Creek HCS-40 EVSE for a Chevy Volt in 2016, and I'm continuing to use it with my Tesla, even though I no longer drive the Volt. It was cheaper to buy a second J1772 adapter than to replace the Clipper Creek with a Tesla Wall Connector. This does give me experience with using a J1772 EVSE with a Tesla on a day-to-day basis, though.

Went Plugless, set it and forget it. Don't have to touch it. It's plugged into a 14-50 outlet. It looks like a hubcap sitting on the garage floor. Cut a grove in the concrete slab, laid down the conduit between the inductive floor inductive plate and the control box mounted on the wall and sealed back over it to eliminate the cord on the floor.

Wireless charging upgrade now available for Tesla Model S

Last edited:
Went Plugless, set it and forget it. Don't have to touch it. It's plugged into a 14-50 outlet. It looks like a hubcap sitting on the garage floor. Cut a grove in the concrete slab, laid down the conduit between the inductive floor inductive plate and the control box mounted on the wall and sealed back over it to eliminate the cord on the floor.

Wireless charging upgrade now available for Tesla Model S

Does that work with the model 3?

... you've got to use manual locking and unlocking of the port.
Incorrect. The J1772 button unlocks the port just as the button on the Tesla connector does.
Uh, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. It doesn't send the wireless signal.

A J1772 plug's button works just like a Tesla plug's button when removing the plug from the car; push the button and it interrupts charging and the data signals, which unlocks the port. In my experience, this works fine -- with both types of plug -- when the car is awake, whether or not it's actively charging. It does not work -- with either type of plug -- once the car has gone to sleep; once that happens, you first have to open a door, open the trunk, or use the app to unlock the charge port. (Some people can get this to work by partially depressing a door handle, but that's never worked for me -- again, with either a J1772 or a Tesla charge plug.)

Where a J1772 plug with Tesla adapter does not equal a Tesla plug is in using the button to open the charge port flap when you want to begin charging. If you're using a J1772 EVSE, you must do that in some way other than pushing the button on the EVSE's plug, such as tapping the charge port flap, using the icon on the center console screen, or using the Tesla app. Given that you're standing right there at the charge port, touching its flap adds next to no effort compared to pushing the button on the charge handle, so I don't consider this advantage of a Tesla EVSE to be significant.

I already had the 40A JuiceBox for my LEAF and I like the WiFi control, mobile app, variable amps, and access to all the charging session data. So, I bought an extra J adapter and just set it on top of the JuiceBox for use with the Tesla and leave the UMC and adapter in the car. I use the Tesla mobile app to open the charge door and unlock it after charging and it doesn't bother me for the other advantages.