Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem: My P3D is getting more valuable as time goes on!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So....what's the problem.

Well,

A little while ago it was stated that my car has FREE supercharging for the rest of the time that I own it. Sounds great - right?

Now - I have free connectivity for the life of the car also. Sounds great - right?

So what's the problem?

The problem is that I CAN'T insure these things in case my car gets totaled. I'm going to have to find a way to bubble-wrap my car while its going down the street. My insurance company won't/can't find a value for them. They told me that I should be glad they are covering the software ( EAP and FSD ) that was on the Maroney sticker.

Really - how do I protect these gems ( supercharging and connectivity ) and get them back if my car gets totaled?

Don't feel bad, I was promised free SC for life by Tesla in writing and they refuse to enable it. You are insured for your cars actual value and my guess is you don't have a top tier insurance company? I have negotiated compensation for such things before when there is a claim but not before.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Don't feel bad, I was promised free SC for life by Tesla in writing and they refuse to enable it. You are insured for your cars actual value and my guess is you don't have a top tier insurance company? I have negotiated compensation for such things before when there is a claim but not before.

I have Allstate.

They have full accident replacement via Kelly's blue book.

Answer: you should have gotten the 5k refund for FUSC since it doesn't transfer. :p

Yup.

And the fact it does not transfer, and is no longer available on a new Model 3, means you can't "replace" it if your car is totaled anyway... nor does it add any value to your car if you were to offer it on the open market since, again, it doesn't transfer.

Really - how do I protect these gems ( supercharging and connectivity ) and get them back if my car gets totaled?

Unfortunately, you don't unless you buy a specialty policy such as a stated value policy. The sort of policy used for a classic car.

If free supercharging and premium connectivity isnt transferrable, it doesn't add any value to the car resale for a normal insurance policy.

Reactions: SigNC

Well,

A little while ago it was stated that my car has FREE supercharging for the rest of the time that I own it. Sounds great - right?

Now - I have free connectivity for the life of the car also. Sounds great - right?

So what's the problem?

The problem is that I CAN'T insure these things in case my car gets totaled. I'm going to have to find a way to bubble-wrap my car while its going down the street. My insurance company won't/can't find a value for them. They told me that I should be glad they are covering the software ( EAP and FSD ) that was on the Maroney sticker.

If your car is totalled the feature pack doesn't transfer to a new replacement car. If you sell your car it stays with the car and a bargaining feature with the new owner.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Unfortunately, you don't unless you buy a specialty policy such as a stated value policy. The sort of policy used for a classic car.

If free supercharging and premium connectivity isnt transferrable, it doesn't add any value to the car resale for a normal insurance policy.

I understand what you are saying, however.....

I could care less about resale value. I'm looking for re-purchase value in case my car gets totaled.

If your car is totalled the feature pack doesn't transfer to a new replacement car. If you sell your car it stays with the car and a bargaining feature with the new owner.

Why are we talking about selling my car?

I'm talking about getting another P3D at the cost of my insurance company.....and I would like to have the same features on the new one.

Selling my car is a totally different thing.

Reactions: hoang51

I could care less about resale value. I'm looking for re-purchase value in case my car gets totaled.

Which is $0.00

Since you cant buy a new model 3 with FUSC for any price.

Should've taken the 5k refund if this was really a concern for you- bird in the hand is worth more than the imaginary totaled car in the bush.

FUSC does not transfer to a new owner.

Exactly. You need to look at "agreed value" policies or other options like that. Basically you insure the car for the value you agree to and if there is a loss the insurance pays out. Classic car insurance works this way.

Stated Value vs Guaranteed Value

https://americancollectors.com/pass...Jk3tXc-kyAjGeDL5vYv_SzRPdzrs5ML4aAlWVEALw_wcB

He's talking about having bought his car before 7/1/18 when free, lifetime of the car Premium Connectivity was available. I'm in that situation too. We didn't pay anything to get the premium package (Tesla absorbed the cost at the time) but now that they are charging $120 a month for the service feature it does have a value to "us". Insurance can't and won't give you $120 each year for it so if our cars are totaled, that's it, we buy a new car but have to pay the fee forward. The deal is gone and insurance has no way to account for it as it was free at the time of purchase. Life ain't always fair. Just don't let anyone total your car I guess. Only the current owner or one who would buy the car with the free, lifetime premium connectivity service will get the benefit of it. Sort of like cars that came with free, unlimited supercharging that was transferable upon sale. Our Model S fell into that category (ordered 12/31/16). Otherwise if the car gets totaled, well that's it. Insurance isn't going to pay for future unlimited supercharging on the replacement car. Free doesn't get you anything later.

BTW around the time we bought our MS with the free, unlimited supercharging, there were some owners who got free, limited supercharging for their lifetime. Probably not many (maybe given out as a referral bonus?) but do recall seeing it back then. But since that time, everything has been based on the car not the owner and later transferability became restricted.

Last edited:

Well,

So what's the problem?

I was in an accident where an Allstate driver ran a red light and into my P3D. I showed then the FUSC and they agreed to pay for my Gas. For those of you who have been following Garlan and I - you know that our Fuel Bill is significant.
The car is in the shop getting repaired - hope I get it back this year.