Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem: My P3D is getting more valuable as time goes on!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've already posted those calculations. I Supercharge pretty much every mile. I keep my cars until they turn to rust. So do the math of the expected lifetime of the car. 250,000 mi minimum / 3 mi/kWh to get the lifetime kWh, then multiply by the cost of Supercharging which mostly is 28 cents per. So around $25,000 without pulling out the calculator.

Unnecessary supercharging value benefit is

Price *KW - cost of home charging - opportunity cost of time - wear and tear - depreciation.

I recommend you pull out the calculator for this one.

I’d have to make less than minimum wage to go out of my way to supercharge.

Also, If you drove every car 250K miles you yourself will be dust without experiencing many cars.

Last edited:
Of course your policy is negotiated. Nothing is crystal clear. Everything is interpreted. Mostly the value of a car is negotiated. There are many companies that value autos and they all have different prices. How can there only be one number for the value of a car???

If you worry about paying off your loan rather than giving you the value of your car you don't seem to understand the losses involved when a car is totaled.

That's just flat out false.

No one negotiates their insurance costs. You buy what the insurance company offers or you go somewhere else.

Its like buying a Tesla. There is one price. Period. No discounts or negotiation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade

No one negotiates their insurance costs. You buy what the insurance company offers or you go somewhere else.

Its like buying a Tesla. There is one price. Period. No discounts or negotiation.

You don't negotiate your insurance cost (ie what you pay for the coverage)

You absolutely negotiate payouts for many, many, many types of claims.

Diminished value claims for example. How much is "having been in an accident that did not total the car" worth, exactly?

That's a negotiation.

So are lots of other insurance-claim related matters.

And of course you're wrong about the price of a Tesla too- there's been TONS of discounts at various times- folks getting free wheel or paint upgrades, or extra SC miles, all to move cars near end of quarters- that others didn't necessarily get...or discounts for miles on inventory loaners...

Reactions: focher
Unnecessary supercharging value benefit is

Price *KW - cost of home charging - opportunity cost of time - wear and tear - depreciation.

I recommend you pull out the calculator for this one.

I’d have to make less than minimum wage to go out of my way to supercharge.

Also, If you drove every car 250K miles you yourself will be dust without experiencing many cars.

Sorry, not sure what you are trying to say. I think your use case is different from mine. For all practical purposes, all my driving is trips. Charging at home is of little value since it does not eliminate any charging stops on the road. At best it would reduce a 1 hour charge to 35 minutes, so instead I make it a meal stop and charge for the full hour rather than interrupt the meal.

I didn't say the pricing was negotiated. I'm talking about the interpretation of the policy. The policy is words. Often those words have a meaning specific to the auto industry and/or legal matters. But the meaning of words is always in dispute and are negotiated.

I met someone who's battery was totaled in an accident where their own insurance was paying. The policy stated batteries would be compensated at 50% rather than squabble over how much life was left in it. That's fine for a $100 battery, but the person squawked and did all the things you would do when $22,000 was at stake. The insurance company covered it fully. That's negotiating the policy.