Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with Tesla j1772 charger adapter. Adopter stuck on public J1772 plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have googled and searched and I can't believe I am the only person experiencing this.

The Part # 1067348-00-A This thing in pict.

1690836752016.png

It Appears that if you drop it or somethingalong the line. The adopter, while looks perfectly fine and rounded, will be DIFFICULT to attache (push really hard) to a J1772 level 2 charger. And if you put it on... Good F***ing Luck on taking it off!!

I have 2 teslas and I have gone thru 3 of these adopters (buying #4 and #5 as we speak) WTF is going on with these adopters and why is it so damn fragile and needs to be perfection?

Please share your thoughts and experience. I can't possibly be the only person experiencing this issue.

Cheers!!

beewang

In the three years I have been reading TMC no one has posted on the TMC Model Y forums about having a problem with the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter becoming stuck on the J1772 charging connector. This adapter has no moving parts.

Perhaps the J1772 charging connector you were using was damaged (run over) and that is why you are unable to remove the adapter from the charging connector.

Reactions: Resist and Fourdoor
In the three years I have been reading TMC no one has posted on the TMC Model Y forums about having a problem with the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter becoming stuck on the J1772 charging connector. This adapter has no moving parts.

Perhaps the J1772 charging connector you were using was damaged (run over) and that is why you are unable to remove the adapter from the charging connector.
So this is the kicker... the J1772 connectors are NOT (visibly) damaged in anyways. and I don't mean 1or 2 J1772 connectors, I mean ALL (or MOST) of them so the common denominator is the Tesla SAE J1772 Adopter I have.

If this is news, I will make a Youtube video to demonstrate.

I have 2 teslas (model 3 and Y) and use various J1772 chargepoint chargers at work, and have never had this issue either. I still have the original one that came with my model 3 in Dec of 2018 that I use at least once a week at work.

I have a 2014 Clipper Creek HDS-40 wall mount direct wired EVSE charing my EVs, currently my 2023 Model Y and my wife's 2021 BMW 330e plug in hybrid. I use the Tesla adapter at home, and for Level 2 charging when needed at various locations.

Recently my home charger created the exact issue you're describing. Speaking with Clipper Creek (now Enhpase) technical support, along with Tesla's RoadSide assistance team, the problem is the J1772 Clipper Creek plug. The design of the J1772 requires a "pilot wire" to handshake with the car's charging system. Over time the repeated use of the charger weakens that pilot wire creating an intermittent connection. The result is that the car's charger senses a fault, locking the terminal. That creates problems separating the charger from the port, which you may of may not have experienced.

The second issue is that Clipper Creek also noted that similar issues, including the adapter locking to the J1772 plug, occur from dropping the J1772 plug, or having it damaged in any of several different ways. This is particularly so in public charging settings, regardless of brand. Clipper Creek denotes ALL EVSE equipment as "wear items" with a typical 5-8 year life before failure. Even a plug that looks fine from the outside may have issues with fit/alignment from wear and tear over time.

I also have 3 Tesla adapters and rotate them often to even out wear. Still, after 6 EVs (see my signature) and almost 9 years of use, the EVSE requires either a new J1772 plug/wiring, or replacement. The Clipper Creek team said the problem is chronic and will only get worse. That applies to the pilot wire as well as the housing - both are wear issues. Unfortunately it sounds as if your Tesla adapter issue is related to this type of problem. He also said that the J1772 standard was a "compromise to get all the manufacturers to agree on a standard. It was never a great solution, nor was it designed to be."

I've ordered the new Tesla Wall Connector with the J1772 plug instead of the standard NARC Tesla plug. The new unit will power my Model Y with the Tesla adapter (never had a problem) as well as my wife's BMW. The benefit is that the Tesla J1772 adapter has been proven to be very reliable and is fully supported by the Tesla Wall Connector. If I bought the NARC version I'd have to rely upon a non Tesla built adapter to convert the standard NARC terminal to my wife's J1772 plug, which isn't supported by Tesla.

When I got my Model Y a year and a half ago one came with the car and I purchased an extra one from Tesla app.

Last month the one that came with the car started sticking to the point of realy hard to put on the charger plug and almost not being able to get it off. Swapped to the backup adapter no problems. Now a month later I am starting to have problems again.

I use four different charges at work all the time. Other Tesla owners also use the same four.

Not sure what is going on.

When I got my Model Y a year and a half ago one came with the car and I purchased an extra one from Tesla app.

Last month the one that came with the car started sticking to the point of realy hard to put on the charger plug and almost not being able to get it off. Swapped to the backup adapter no problems. Now a month later I am starting to have problems again.

I use four different charges at work all the time. Other Tesla owners also use the same four.

Not sure what is going on.

Inspect the inside lip/socket of the adapter. Make sure there's nothing built up - since the J1772 needs to plug into there.

As for damage from dropping.. I was in a parking garage and my J1772 adapter took a tumble.. actually managed to kick it under the car in my haste of trying to catch it before it fell.
The best part was looking for it in the dark, since the garage is poorly lit. After that - I put a strip of reflective tape around the outside so I could see it if it fell again, and it's also a visible reminder that it's still on the J1772 charger..