Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production/Delivery Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. I'm wondering how they'll get me my #695 by the end of July as expected. It's supposed to begin production in Hethel in 2 weeks.

Unless... my 695 means something different than what #553 represents. I got 695 by taking my order number 722 (which Tesla gave me) and subtracting the non-production cars. Is there more that I need to subtract out? That order number / production number / VIN translation has always confused me.

I would contact your salesperson and ask what your sequence number is. I was told my sequence number was #553 a few weeks before it started production on June 8th. On June 8th I got an email informing me of start of production and requesting certain info for delivery and paperwork issues. I was also told that my VIN # 553 was also established.

I think there are cases where the sequence number and VIN # do not match. But for the most part they are close.

If your car starts production in Hethel in 2 weeks, I don't think your number is #690. It seems too early for that number to be in production. You might have a lower number.

Last edited:
I was just told that my Roadster (#690) goes into production later this week. That would put me back to my expected August 1st delivery date ( I had moved that to the end of August after I was told production might push to the first week of July). There are always the possibilities of complications, due to specific options or just during qulaity control of each car, but otherwise it seems that 40 days after prod start is a reasonable expectation for delivery, plus I add another 5 days for us midwesterners/east coasters.
Is a production number the same as a sequence number? I was given a sequence number of 635 and a production start date of 6/29/09. I was told to expect delivery "in 2 months from production start date". I hope you are correct about the 40 day cycle.
Sam

Is a production number the same as a sequence number? I was given a sequence number of 635 and a production start date of 6/29/09. I was told to expect delivery "in 2 months from production start date". I hope you are correct about the 40 day cycle.
Sam

If you review the numbers reported by owners on the TM forum spreadsheet, the typical time between production start date and delivery is between 30-45 days.

They likely give an estimate of 7-8 weels in order to manage expectations in case of delays. It is better to be pleasantly surprised by an early delivery as opposed to disappointed by a few weeks of delay if your Roadster runs into quality control delays.

Just e-mail your sales rep and ask them to take pictures. I asked Adam Slusser in the LA store to get me some pics and the techs in Menlo Park sent me some pics the same day. My car still had it's SFO airport sticker on it :)

Attachments

• Tesla1.jpg
    Tesla1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
If anyone happens to be near Tesla Menlo Park, can you stop by and look for VIN #553?

It should be arriving sometime this week.
Radiant Red with black wheels.
Black/Red interior wtih Exec leather.

And the exposed carbon fiber top, right? We haven't seen that yet. I want to see photos of it close up and from afar on the car, along with those black wheels. That should be one sharp looking car.

And the exposed carbon fiber top, right? We haven't seen that yet. I want to see photos of it close up and from afar on the car, along with those black wheels. That should be one sharp looking car.

I heard that the carbon fiber hardtops are not passing quality control. The first batch were rejected and they are starting over. With the painted hardtops they can paint over imperfections in the carbon fiber. But when it is exposed, it has to be a high quality weave.

That is how it was described to me by the Tesla rep.

I heard that the carbon fiber hardtops are not passing quality control. The first batch were rejected and they are starting over. With the painted hardtops they can paint over imperfections in the carbon fiber. But when it is exposed, it has to be a high quality weave.

That is how it was described to me by the Tesla rep.

Bleh, I just hope I get mine before late October. Having no hardtop would probably render my car undrivable after that.

This week as part of other correspondence with Tesla, I asked if my order number had changed. For the past 10 months it had been 795. Now I'm told it's 722.

I just got word that my car, production number 722 (originally 795), will start production the week of June 22. I don't yet know what my VIN will be.

Hmm. I'm wondering how they'll get me my #695 by the end of July as expected. It's supposed to begin production in Hethel in 2 weeks.

Unless... my 695 means something different than what #553 represents. I got 695 by taking my order number 722 (which Tesla gave me) and subtracting the non-production cars. Is there more that I need to subtract out? That order number / production number / VIN translation has always confused me.

And I just received my VIN, and the last three digits are 618. So there's the full story. My car starts production this week.

I can't say for sure that no 2010s have been delivered yet, but I can say that I'm still awaiting #508, with hardly any information as to why it has been held up and no estimate on a delivery date. It began production on May 12th and arrived in the bay area on or about June 5th. I can only imagine how many cars must be stacked up there by now.

If anyone in proximity can gather some intel and find out why the cars are not moving forward as well as a decent prediction on when they might expect to complete them, I'd be very grateful. I was able to remain patient for the first 22 months, but this past month of waiting has been excrutiating given all the stories from existing owners.