Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production/Delivery Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The picture is beautiful. It seems to be no trick to make the Roadster look good in photos, so I bet it's just as pretty in real life.

My first car was white. It was so ugly I spent money to get it painted. It wasn't that brilliant white. Of course, it wasn't a Roadster, either!

People have suggested that members put their pictures on other sites like flickr or picasa and link to them here. I suggest you do that with the many more pictures I hope to see!

Last edited:
RGB,
didnt you hear from your Rep?
New reason is/was something with homologation, alongside the Lotus factory holidays for 3 weeks (I wonder there is no discussion on that from the US guys, as it clearly will influence their Menlo Park deliveries sooner or later).
They say they have the first german official regular registration now, which will make it "easier".
My car, ordered an US version in Feb 2008, then changed to the european Signature with new contract in May 2008, was sheduled in the good days for May 2009. Then, someday, it was June. More recent infos then were at the end of July. One call with my Rep later it was beginning of August. Next call, it was end of August. Then I went on holiday. When I called my Rep middle of august, new delivery date was End of september. I sayed NO, and now its maybe middle of september. I am frigtened to call my rep again. The roadster is no winter car for driving in the Alps, and maybe even if the car is capable of it, I do not want to do it. I have no idea what they are doing there at Hethel or somewhere else. Lotus holidays were sheduled and not a surprice, and the regulation issue is the same for a long time. For a legal matter, they could start selling cars on that special regulation exemption since May. The norwegian company Think got this homologation several month ago!
Sometimes I was #12 in europe, but that has changed. I am now #16 or #19 or something. I cant thell exactly because they dont tell me my VIN, although I have asked several times. They reserve the right to do that (delivery slots), but there are some tricks going on there I guess.
So in total, not far away from one and a half year of waiting. Not exactly the 2+ years some US guys were waiting, but very nearby in this category. Note that we europeans pay "premium", which means between 140k and 155k USD depending on the exchange rate the order was placed. One nice reasons Darryl told by discussing price issues always was "but you will get your cars sooner". It was planned to finish 2008th, and then start with EU and US formerly MY2009, now Roadster 2 models. on the same line. Now there are more than 100 Roadster 2 deliveres in the US; which means a lot more waiting in Menlo Park, and NONE european car out there, in reality (maybe that 1 in german , but thats too less to count.).
So over all: not good. It cant be on the options (like executive leather, etc., which is standard at EU signature cars), as this options are delivered in the US already. It seems they simply did not perform on establishing the processes for homologation, quality control at hethel, etc.
Brrrrr :mad:

RGB,
didnt you hear from your Rep?

Are you joking? I haven't called him for a week, so - of course - I have no idea what is going on at the moment. ;) (hence my other thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-motors/3118-tm-your-buying-experience.html ) Last thing I knew was that the first European Roadsters should have been out last week (which is probably that one single car in Germany you are talking about).

So, yours is due in September now, eh? Great, last week I was told that mine was still supposed to be delivered in September. Guess I can forget about that now. I can understand how you feel after waiting for almost two years and I admire your patience. I'm definitely not that patient and I'm getting annoyed with their way of communicating - or better yet - NOT communicating with their customers. If there are problems of whatever kind that delay the delivery for whatever reason, fine, but talk to your customers. Every single one of us blindly trusted them with quite a bit of money and the best you can hope for in return is a "maybe".

I'll send an e-mail out to our Rep. Let's see what kind of info I'm getting....

I would not blame the sales reps that you deal with for this. They are not given timely information from the factory or from the higher up people.

The example with the executive leather changes comes to mind. I hold Franz mostly responsible for that. He made last minute changes to the executive leather option, but that never got communicated to the front line people until mine was shipped to Menlo Park.

Neither Franz or Elon are the people we deal with though. It's the sales reps. How much information they do or don't have, I don't know but it's the companies' obligation to give them enough information that they can openly communicate with their customers. Also, Alpine Drivers and my rep is not just a sales rep, he's a director - which means he's responsible for a whole lot more than sales (and granted is swamped most of the time) but also has quite a bit more information, too.

The way I see it: TM is on it's way of becoming a "real company". Right now the are still in start-up mode. They hope for and rely on people like us who are willing to adopt early, try out their product, help make it better, finance the companys' continuity, deal with all kinds of little bumps along the way that none of us would be willing to accept if we were to deal with Porsche, Daimler, BMW or any other corporation AND on top of it all pay "top dollars". So, I don't think its asked too much to get proper information and regular updates without having to repeatedly poke them every single time you want to know if your car is still on schedule.

I had the shortest wait on the owners spreadsheet so far.

330 days. :biggrin:

Although I bet if someone placed an order today they would get the car in less than 4 months.

If something bad doesn't happen, I should beat that handily. I placed my order in mid-April, and two weeks ago they told me that my car was in the final stage of production in Hethel and should be ready for delivery in 25-30 days.

At 30 days, that would be August 26th, so it would be in the 120-130 day range.

The waits are definitely going down...I'm hoping for around 60 days. I placed my order on July 15. It's supposed to start production about a week from now, and I've been told to expect a "mid-September" delivery date.

Or due to a willed policy or red tape problems with EU they are diverting EU-production slots to US production as it seems now. That might account for a bit.

Cobos

I get that impression, too.

Due to this for instance:

The waits are definitely going down...I'm hoping for around 60 days. I placed my order on July 15. It's supposed to start production about a week from now, and I've been told to expect a "mid-September" delivery date.

...and Alpine Driver getting his delivery pushed back constantly.

Mine was supposed to be delivered in September, too. However since ADs supposedly isn't due now until the End of September I'm sure that something isn't going the way it was intended it to. I already sent my rep an email asking him to make sure mine has the winter tires mounted when they deliver it.

After a false alarm two weeks ago, my roadster finally arrived on the evening of 6 Aug. I spent 5 hours yesterday getting it licensed and registered since the Arizona MVD office I went to couldin't find Tesla in their system and had to dig their way through the state regulations.

The car went through two different validations that it was all electric. In the process of driving to one of the inspection stations, a pickup nearly ran me over trying to get close enough to shout "congrats on the Tesla;" and, two Phoenix police officers pulled in next to me at a convenence store to tell me, "should give you a ticket because it looks like it's going 100 mph just sitting there," and "we'll give you one free pass to go 0 to 60 in 3.9." I declined the offer.

I echo the comments by others here about their initial experiences with the car. I will note that in the 16 months since I first drove the roadster, my legs have gotten 5 years older in trying to get out of the car. I do love this machine though.