Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production (Non-Sig) Model X Vin #'s now being issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Invited to configure: 12/28/15
Configured same day: 12/28/15
Confirmed: 01/04/16

No Vin Yet..

Tesla.png

The San Diego order is mine. Invite 1/4, confirmed 1/11, received vin last night XX701, said it should be ready late Feb. Order Details below. Hope this helps:

The San Diego order is mine. Invite 1/4, confirmed 1/11, received vin last night XX701, said it should be ready late Feb. Order Details below. Hope this helps:

Model X P90D (adding "P")
Deep Blue Paint
20" wheels
Black Leather Seats
Dark Ash Wood Decor
6 seats
SuperCharger/High Amperage
Auto Pilot/Premium upgrades/Sub Zero package/Hitch

Latest from Tesla.... We’re still targeting late February for it being ready. Yours is one of the first General Production (non-Signature) Model X’s headed to San Diego, so it will still be relatively rare by the time it arrives

Since everyone is sharing, I think I may have ordered mine at the "sweet spot" in production ramp up.

Reserved: September 2015
Reservation #:
8,29X

Config invite: 1
/11/2016
Order complete:
1/18/2016
VIN #: Not Assigned

But looking at this forum thread, I SHOULD get a VIN assigned in exactly one week and then contact from DS soon thereafter.
Guessing Delivery shall be Mid March, Early March if I agree to pick it up at factory instead of waiting for delivery all the way to Florida

Interesting. For reserving just this past September, isn't your reservation # a little low? Do you think Tesla gave you a number from a canceler?

VIN_sn was initially displayed on the page, then at some point they commented it out but was visible in the source, and finally they stopped assigning the number altogether.

It might have, initially, been used for some sort of VIN assignment, but was changed and with the change they removed it from view so that the number doesn't create any confusion. As of now, I don't think it had any value other than helping us figure out the sequence of orders.

No VIN yet but I did get a DS assigned. Got the e-mail from my DS this morning (90D confirmed 12/20).

Edit: BTW, his intro e-mail still confirms... "delivery in mid-2016" which in Tesla time could be anywhere between May and September.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting (not very patiently) for a VIN - P90D confirmed December 1. Unless I've missed something on the forum, it seems like only production orders who got the premium package have VINs (I have pretty much everything else except Premium and Ludicrous). It's a little annoying because if I had known it would effect delivery, I might have reconsidered getting premium, it was kind of a close call anyway. At the time, the Tesla folks I talked to didn't think that would make a difference, so I opted out...

On the other hand, we don't know for sure yet - do we? - that VIN assignment is correlated to delivery order. It may be a separate process. I'm holding out a little hope about that. Otherwise, I think there will be hundreds (at least) of cars that I reserved and confirmed ahead of who are delivered before I am, even though I went nearly all in with the P90D. It's a meager complaint, I get that. Total first world problem. But, you know, I'm excited, so it causes a little ache...

On the other hand, we don't know for sure yet - do we? - that VIN assignment is correlated to delivery order.

I don't think anyone of us has actual knowledge of the process, so all we can do is look at the facts we have and made assumptions. Given the numbers though, it seems very likely that only premium interior orders are currently being assembled. The highest sequence number currently being assembled according to the tracker is P#15310, reserved 1/19/15, so it seems like they're going through most if not all reservations with all the relevant premium options before they start working on anything else.

I have been curious as IF they are actually providing VINs in the order that the reservations were made. I took the data from the ModelXTracker and extracted the orders that have both a reservation date and a VIN date (two data points were removed as they had VIN dates too early).

It does look like there is a pattern building...

Screenshot 2016-01-25 10.24.58.png

Reservation # 14,XXX (December 2014), P90D with premium, got my VIN 1/19 in the 800s. DS says my car will be going into production sometime around mid-next week. It'll be in the factory 1-3 weeks (lots of wiggle room built in), then to service center for inspection, and that'll obviously depend on the quality of cars now coming off the line. Late February is possible, early March the safer bet.

Given how relatively late I got my reservation in, and how low my VIN is, I'm still guessing that I'm probably on the back-side of that first P90D w/Premium batch, and that the non-premium P90Ds should start getting their cars in March.

I have been curious as IF they are actually providing VINs in the order that the reservations were made. I took the data from the ModelXTracker and extracted the orders that have both a reservation date and a VIN date (two data points were removed as they had VIN dates too early).

It does look like there is a pattern building...

I don't know - the lumpiness in the VIN assignment dates leads me to conclude that it's driven by the weekly releases of design studio invitations, with people configuring and ordering right away.

- - - Updated - - -

Reservation # 14,XXX (December 2014), P90D with premium, got my VIN 1/19 in the 800s. DS says my car will be going into production sometime around mid-next week. It'll be in the factory 1-3 weeks (lots of wiggle room built in), then to service center for inspection, and that'll obviously depend on the quality of cars now coming off the line. Late February is possible, early March the safer bet.

Given how relatively late I got my reservation in, and how low my VIN is, I'm still guessing that I'm probably on the back-side of that first P90D w/Premium batch, and that the non-premium P90Ds should start getting their cars in March.

I'm a couple thousand earlier reservation (Sept 2014), ordered my P90D w/premium on 1/6 and got my high 600s VIN on 1/19. My DS's introductory email last week said to prepare for delivery in March.

When did you confirm?

I am not sure that they are on the back side of the P's, my story is in my footer; summary reserved May-14, Confirmed 2-Jan, No VIN and No DS