Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how Tesla orders cars in production? is it completely based on VIN (so, VIN 0001 first, then VIN 0002, 0003, 0004, and 0005?) or do they batch the blue cars together for week 1, red on week 2, black on week 3, etc... or by batt size? drive train (D v. S v. P)?

Did that come up in the factory tour? or in any of the various videos? or???

Just watching as various people's cars seem to be coming out ahead of mine though they seem to have ordered them later, and others come out later though with an earlier order date. I can think of lots of reasons for this, but I'm not sure of the real one.

By looking at the google doc that everyone entering their order info and production dates, they seem to be oversea first. And then by the order/confirm dates.
By this theory, how does it work if you asked for delivery to be postponed? I placed an order in August for December delivery. Saw on mytesla that my delivery went from "Late November-December" to "Late December-Early January 2017" I don't mind waiting (as long as I get it before April when they shut off free supercharging, but just curious how asking for a later delivery effects production. Any insight?

By this theory, how does it work if you asked for delivery to be postponed? I placed an order in August for December delivery. Saw on mytesla that my delivery went from "Late November-December" to "Late December-Early January 2017" I don't mind waiting (as long as I get it before April when they shut off free supercharging, but just curious how asking for a later delivery effects production. Any insight?

If it hasn't entered production they will just move on in the que. If it has entered production they will go ahead and build it out and assign it to inventory. You may want to check if the later means that you will forfeit your $2500 deposit but I don't think that's the case. You can ask your DS to push out the date and they will do this at no charge. At least that's what they did for me but that was several months ago before I was assigned a VIN.