Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Options and Pricing Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I created this thread in anticipation of "We will invite that next group of reservation holders to configure in the next few weeks" -- that's Production reservationists since all the Sigs have already been invited -- which would be no earlier than tomorrow (10/21/15) unless they are on Tesla Time.

We can use this thread to speculate (since we all love to do that!), and, hopefully, any day now, post the actual Production X configuration screens and discuss the pricing and options available to us.

My prediction is the first group of production reservationists will be invited to configure on Thursday, 10/22/2015. If that date passes, then I predict the first group will get their emails no later than the morning of Tuesday, 11/03/2015, since the 2015 Q3 Conference Call starts at 2:30 PM PT:

http://ir.teslamotors.com/events.cfm

Here's my educated guess at the Production options we'll have, based upon the Signature configurator, what I learned at the X Launch event, and https://modelxtracker.com/. Please click on that link if you have a Sig or Production reservation if you haven't already to provide your data to help improve Model X Tracking.

I've also made educated guesses for all these option prices based on Model X Sig options, extrapolated Model S pricing, previous posts to other threads, and thanks to input from MrBoylan and andrewket:

1. $80,000: Future X 75D Base Price. This is from Elon's tweet that "price of Model X is actually only $5K more than S. Lower cost versions coming later." Model S 70D = $75K. This also jives with the "80" number some Tesla engineers told Superload at the X Reveal.
  2. $93,000: X 90D Base Price. Also per Elon's tweet, since Model S 90D base is $88K.
  3. $113,000: X P90D Base Price. Same +$20K as in Model S.
  4. $10,000: Ludicrous Speed Upgrade. Same as Sig X and Model S.
  5. $2,500: Autopilot Convenience Features. Same as Model S.
  6. $3,000: Premium Interior and Lighting. Includes a power liftgate. Same as S.
  7. $2,500: Smart Air Suspension. Same as S.
  8. $2,500: Ultra High Fidelity Sound. Same as S.
  9. $1,000: Subzero Weather Package. Same as Sig X.
  10. $750: Tow Package. Same as Sig X.
  11. Free: Accessory Hitch option. Same as Sig X.
  12. $1,000: Metallic Paint. Same as S.
  13. $1,500: Pearl White or Red Multi-Coat: Same as S.
  14. $4,500: 22" Wheels. Same as S 21" option.
  15. $2,500: Black, Tan or Grey Leather. Same as S "Next Generation Seats" option.
  16. $750: Wood Decor. Same as S.
  17. $1000: Carbon Fiber Decor. Same as S.

Sanity check: $132,000 is a Signature X P90D before any credits and rebates. It includes $10,500 in bundled options (#5-8 above), plus $4,500 for 22" wheels, $1,000 Metallic paint, $2,500 leather upgrade, and $750 Wood Decor, for $19,250 total. $132,000 - $19,250 = $112,750; really close to my predicted $113,000 for a production X P90D base model. Quod erat demonstrandum.

I visited Tesla Factory Store Monday afternoon with a few questions regarding configuration specifics. As usual, they are there to sell Model S trying to avoid the Osbourne effect. (The store is temporarily re-located to the back area while the front is being expanded.) A friendly rep disappeared into the back and returned a few minutes later with the same email address and phone numbers that were used by Signature reservationists to get their configuration questions answered. I left and called the special number hands-free while driving home.

As I kind of expected, the Tesla Inside Salesperson I spoke with knew nothing beyond what we have all learned from reading the forum about Production X configuration. She only knew about Signature X.

She did say this, however:

1. Confirmed that 6-seat Signatures will NOT include the 2nd row center console I saw in a Founder vehicle at Launch. Has no idea if it will ever be offered as an accessory. Agreed with my assumption we won't see it in production, either. I expect a 3rd party will offer something similar aftermarket if Tesla does not.
  2. Didn't seem to understand what I was talking about when I described Elon's fold-out armrest on his 7-seat configuration and asked if Sigs/Production will get it? Commented she'd never seen a Model X in person, which was really surprising to me!
  3. Didn't know if "Ultra White" vegan seating surface will be available in production, except to say the white leather Signature S interior was never offered in production.
  4. Had no idea whether Gray Leather will re-appear in production vehicles as an option like it is for Model S.
  5. Stated that none of the Signature options (e.g. SubZero) will delay delivery.
  6. Noted that the Oct. 7th email stated a "few weeks" so I should be invited soon, but it might not be 10/21, she doesn't know. She just advised me to look out for the email from Tesla, and everything will be revealed in my production configurator at that time.
I asked her to put in a (future) customer request with her management to post a PDF copy of the Model X Owner's Manual 1.0 whenever the first Sig's are delivered. She confirmed the manual will be in the vehicles, as expected, just like Model S. If they really do that it should answer a lot of people's questions since there sure isn't much on the website right now.

Last edited:
...I've ignored the $3K Model S 85->90 range upgrade option price
I agree with a lot of your speculation but I don't think this is a safe assumption. To me a "$5K increase" over the Model S means exactly as configured. So comparing an 85D S to a 90D X is not apples to apples. I expect the base price for a 90D to be $93K, exactly $5K over the Model S 90D.

Autopilot Convenience Features: FREE for 90D and P90D! Instead of $2,500 as in Model S.
Why would they give away something like this that adds so much value? I think it will still be a chargeable option and personally am prepared to pay for it.

Sanity check: $122K is Sig X before any credits and rebates.
Isn't the base price of the Signature Model X actually $132K? Add on the Ludicrous speed and cold weather package and it's up to $143K, no? That's what I recall seeing on the posted design studio shots.

I would love to see the 85D to 90D upgrade and the auto-pilot offered free, but I'm very doubtful about that. We already got the third row seats "free" (they were previously announced as optional) and I think the $5K upgrade cost only covers the Falcon Wing Doors, additional row of seating, additional sensors and massive windshield.

-CB

I predict the upgraded audio option will be more expensive. It's greatly superior to the UHFS in the S.

I agree, andrewket, that the X UHFS we heard at the Launch sounded much better than that in the S. I was just hoping that they wouldn't charge more for it and will hold the price at $2,500.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with a lot of your speculation but I don't think this is a safe assumption. To me a "$5K increase" over the Model S means exactly as configured. So comparing an 85D S to a 90D X is not apples to apples. I expect the base price for a 90D to be $93K, exactly $5K over the Model S 90D.

Why would they give away something like this that adds so much value? I think it will still be a chargeable option and personally am prepared to pay for it.

Isn't the base price of the Signature Model X actually $132K? Add on the Ludicrous speed and cold weather package and it's up to $143K, no? That's what I recall seeing on the posted design studio shots.

I would love to see the 85D to 90D upgrade and the auto-pilot offered free, but I'm very doubtful about that. We already got the third row seats "free" (they were previously announced as optional) and I think the $5K upgrade cost only covers the Falcon Wing Doors, additional row of seating, additional sensors and massive windshield.

-CB

Thanks, MrBoylan! I corrected my OP base price of Sig Model X. I couldn't find the TMC post this AM and was going off a Youtube config video which was hard to follow. Also added the $3K for S 90D (instead of 85D). All vehicles come with Autopilot hardware. Tesla would collect more data if they didn't charge for it, but I guess they still need to recoup their R&D investment so they probably will continue this as a $2,500 option -- so I added it back.

Anyway, after correcting base price and tweaking some option prices, the model looks pretty solid now. I expect there won't be too much deviation between it and actual pricing that's released. Time will tell -- hopefully SOON!! :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to put "speculation" in the thread title...

Trnsl8r, I've now underlined words like speculate, prediction, and educated guess several times in the OP so readers wouldn't get confused. Decided to keep the title the same so the same thread can be used to post the actual Production configuration screen shots and discuss it as soon as they invite the first group to configure, hopefully ADN (Any Day Now). :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm hoping for 93k, but I suspect it will be 113k based on Elon's "30k savings" comment.
That would mean they're paying for the "base" P90D (not the base 90D) and will be getting Ludicrous mode and all the options for that price.

The Founder's Cars at the reveal event (the ones being used for the test rides) were P90Ds but they did *not* have the Ludicrous speed upgrade, at least according to the driver who took us around. They had Insane mode. So it's also possible that people who get the ten S referrals in time may be able to buy a Founder's Model X, P90D without Ludicrous mode for less than $113K ($103K?).

Seems like we'll probably have to wait until they notify the first folks who are eligible for this in order to get full details. But it's unlikely these folks will get a fully loaded Founders P90D with Ludicrous speed upgrade for $93K as that would represent $50K in savings.