Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Programming a key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have the same "issue" as you. No "locks" option in the settings menu.

2018 P100D

have to use key fobs only. Phone can unlock doors and all the stuff, but CANT be used as a key....cant drive away with no Key fob in the car. Thought we mightve lost keys at airport, Tesla tech said just use your phone...told him impossible. I have literally had arguments with Tesla techs over this.

Tesla isnt very clear on what vehicles are capable of key cards, key fobs, phones, whatever on older models. Its fairly confusing. Basically dont ever lose your key fobs, and always have them with you. Also, cant lock them in the car, then use the phone to unlock. Car will always unlock with keys in it. terrible design and no work around i found.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Upvote 0

2018 P100D

have to use key fobs only. Phone can unlock doors and all the stuff, but CANT be used as a key....cant drive away with no Key fob in the car. Thought we mightve lost keys at airport, Tesla tech said just use your phone...told him impossible. I have literally had arguments with Tesla techs over this.

Tesla isnt very clear on what vehicles are capable of key cards, key fobs, phones, whatever on older models. Its fairly confusing. Basically dont ever lose your key fobs, and always have them with you. Also, cant lock them in the car, then use the phone to unlock. Car will always unlock with keys in it. terrible design and no work around i found.
Model 3 and Y have had this capability since inception. Model X and S did not get it until the refresh, 2022+

Upvote 0

2018 P100D

It’s very clear that only Model S/X that support Phone Key (and have the refresh interior with wireless charging pad) are the ones that support Key Cards.

The pre-refresh S/X only support Key Fob and phone app (not phone key) unlock and starting. Tesla will program new key fobs for you.

As someone who owns both pre (2018) and post refresh (2023) X, there is nothing frustrating IMO. It’s just older technology vs. new.

Reactions: MitchMitch
Upvote 0
It’s very clear that only Model S/X that support Phone Key (and have the refresh interior with wireless charging pad) are the ones that support Key Cards.

The pre-refresh S/X only support Key Fob and phone app (not phone key) unlock and starting. Tesla will program new key fobs for you.

As someone who owns both pre (2018) and post refresh (2023) X, there is nothing frustrating IMO. It’s just older technology vs. new.
The tesla techs i spoke to were oblivious to this. Didnt say frustrating, but it was certainly confusing on my end. Also, if you just google key cards for model X, its a very generic page telling you how to enable a key card...doesnt mention which model years in the model x online user manual.

Is it a technology limitation in the pre refresh that wont allow Phone Key or key cards?

Upvote 0
The tesla techs i spoke to were oblivious to this. Didnt say frustrating, but it was certainly confusing on my end. Also, if you just google key cards for model X, its a very generic page telling you how to enable a key card...doesnt mention which model years in the model x online user manual.

Is it a technology limitation in the pre refresh that wont allow Phone Key or key cards?
Yes, exactly.

Upvote 0

Yes, it’s a technology limitation. New Model X has card reader in the B pillar, and card reader/writer in the wireless phone charger. It’s a completely different vehicle than the pre-refresh X.

Upvote 0