Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project: Model 3 Race car [project model 3 racecar on the Nuburgring / "The 'Ring"]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this topic I will present one of the craziest projects in Europe. We - the Ringfreaks team are building real race car from Tesla, which also become one of our Rental cars for the Nurburgring!

Tesla Model 3 Performance
Made in China

We bought the Model 3 completely new, tested it lightly (265 km/h!) and already disassembled it for the project. Throughout the process we also make Youtube videos which can be seen on our Ringfreaks channel.

Ringfreaks Youtube channel

Plans for the Tesla model 3:
FIA full welded roll cage
Racing sparco bucket seats
6-point Schroth safety belts
19' BBS rims 8.5j + 9.5j
KW coilovers
Braided brake lines
Brembo big brake kit at the front
Towing hooks front+rear
Fire extinguisher system
Lightweight door panels
Protective grills for radiator
Light version of wiring
Spoiler
Ringfreaks outside design
Front + rear aerocatch frunk/trunk mounts
Disabled Autopilot
Roll cage foam paddings
AIM data logger + smartycam
Modified suspension for racing setup
Battery protection plate
Distilled water for cooling + waterwetter
Aluminium floor mats driver+passenger
And many more :)

The build is in progress at the moment and I will try to update you with lots of pictures and interesting details about this Tesla!

We have many years of experience in building racing cars, racing and renting them out. But this project is completely new to us as it is the first electric car for the ring!
So all tips, comments are more than welcome from all of You. I believe EV cars, and specially Tesla Performance models will be come "normality" in track day scene as proper car in 2022, let do this together!

Attachments

• aTesla2crop.png
    aTesla2crop.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,647
Let's start from the beginning!

At the end of July we decided together with Ringfreaks team to come back to the idea of building and renting Tesla race car. Order placed on July 20th, had to be delivered in August, but eventually (due to early Model Y deliveries in Europe) we received the first Tesla Model 3 at the end of September.

We ordered 2 cars in case we want to build another one so we would already have it and can try out some stuff while one car is roadworthy and the other is stripped down. Both received in September and then We started work.

In the first part you can see how we took the car in Cologne, Germany. Also we tested some things - speed of Tesla supercharger, maximum car speed before it gets destroyed (going 265kmh!), because after we touch it - no guarantee anymore :))

Delivery process here in Germany is only about 20minutes total. You come to parking lot next to the Tesla dealer, there is a small table with nice lady, You hand over documents and registration plates (must go to registry office before) and then they simply guide you to the car (not me, as it we not the first time, so already knew how it goes) and off you go.

Really simplistic process, not even a coffee table, but that makes them efficient. So all in all, as I do not like to waste time for empty talks or unnecessary tasks - it fits me perfectly!

Take a look how we bought Teslas for the Ring project: Youtube: BUYING A NEW TESLA TO BUILD A NÜRBURGRING TRACKTOOL

aTesla1.png
aTesla3.png
265.JPG

Following! I would love to drive a prepped Model 3 on a racetrack someday. Maybe, if I make it to Germany, I will rent this car you are building...

How will you handle charging the car? That seems to be the bane of every track day enthusiast with a Model 3 in the US, even if they get the cooling under control. Is there a supercharger or other DCFC near the ring?

Following! I would love to drive a prepped Model 3 on a racetrack someday. Maybe, if I make it to Germany, I will rent this car you are building...

How will you handle charging the car? That seems to be the bane of every track day enthusiast with a Model 3 in the US, even if they get the cooling under control. Is there a supercharger or other DCFC near the ring?
Thanks! Will be waiting for you!

Actually Yes! First in 2019 Tesla placed "temporary" V2 charger next to the track, as they used it for their lap record testing and later made it available for the public. It was secret supercharger, as it was never shown on the superchargers map, as well it was always free of charge :)) It was 2 stalls.

Later on in 2021 they have placed V3 superchargers pretty close to the first one. But free of charge V2 was still there. Then in 2021 July horrible floods came to the are of Nurburgring, and all the parking spaces were used for rescue teams, and during this process V2 was removed.

If you check from this time video, you will see that its 3km from track entrance. As track is 21km, I can bravely say - We have V3 supercharger at the Racetrack! Thanks to Tesla!

lagezentrum-nu-rburgring-copyright-nu-rburgring-2-jpg-1626967205.jpg

While we had one car for the project and the other to drive, in October we decided to race at the Nurburgring!

It's called the RCN GLP Green Challenge (hint: not a real race :))

This race consists of 6 laps on the old track, totaling about 125 km. It's not necessary to be as fast as possible, but the idea is simple, to be consistent every lap. The winner is whoever has the smallest difference in their rounds.

For the "race" we also had to prepare Tesla a little - place fire extinguisher, put on racing stickers, add tow hooks and transponder.

Very early start, very cold and wet. Most dangerous conditions on the Nordschleife. Winter tires would help us more, but original Pirelli were OK too. We have started with about 95% SoC at the beginning.

Trying to chase the wet line (driving middle/outside of the track), being very careful with the gas and braking all the way. Very, very slippery conditions. Who never been at the wet Nurburgring, I could only compare it to small layer of snow. It is like 3 times more slippery on the Racing line than on normal roads.

After 3 laps we made a driver change which wasn't necessary but just out of experience for me and co-driver Linas. This is how we could both experience the Nürburgring in the wet with Tesla. With this driver change, I lost some time, which took away the opportunity to win. And we ended up in 3rd place! From 3 :))

Finished with 45% SoC and 50% battery consumption, just like the Taycan. Taycan also made least of difference in the laps and won.

All in all - a lot of fun, good test for stability and abs systems. Also to see that the pirelli pz4 SC is a really very good tire on wet and dry track! We'll be using the same tires later on in this project, just a different size. After this - stripping project tesla and preparing for 3D scanning!

YOUTUBE VIDEO: THE WORST WEATHER RACE WITH OUR TESLA AT THE NÜRBURGRING

244359926_249255433875799_5874214518657482627_n.jpg

aTesla4.png

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

Time to get Tesla empty and 3D scan the interior.

We have teamed up with AST Rollcage and agreed to make a custom roll cage for the Tesla Model 3. The interior of the Model 3 had to be completely empty so the guys could 3D scan it, design a cage, send it to us and we would weld it inside.

So everything started with the removal of seats, carpets, dashboard. Later wires, high-voltage wires, sound and heat insulation.

And I can tell you - it's easier, much easier, to work on Tesla than it is on BMW! Everything is so simple and well done. I also loved seeing that there isn't a lot of wiring in the car.

After it was empty, guys from Spain flew. Put millions of reflective dots on the car and started 3D scanning. It took about 4-5 hours to fully scan the car.

Later at home, they combined all the scans into one large drawing and drew tubes in the Tesla. Then CNC laser cut tubes, bent tubes with cnc bending machine and sent to us.

The next step is to take out the battery, cut out the windows, remove the doors - prepare the car for installing the roll cage!

YOUTUBE: BRAND NEW TESLA STRIPPED APART! BUT WHAT FOR?

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2706.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2832.JPG

Preparing car for the roll cage!

Must cut out windows, remove doors, and most importantly - remove the main battery.

Cutting glass is no different from other cars, only on the middle glass Tesla used a lot of glue, makes it a little longer process. Doors and trunk are really easy to remove and the doors are also aluminum - easy to carry.

The main battery required some special tools. Torxplus EP10 EP14 EP22, had to order some BGS sets but now I can work with no problem. Lots of cooling hoses, lots of drops of coolant and lots of bolts. But everything is very comfortable, as well no problem to work.

The last part of removing the battery is a bit tricky. Because YOU need to lower the car with battery and then raise the body while leaving lifting points on the battery.

but with some old school techniques and wood planks - battery was removed. Hydraulic battery lifter would be handy here. Next step - Welding Roll cage in!

YOUTUBE: NOT A TUTORIAL: TESLA BATTERY PACK REMOVAL

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3493.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

IMG_3484.JPG

(moderator note)

I am going to pin this thread. I find the subject interesting, it has lots of good pictures and very good write up. I dont want it to get buried quickly. One thing I would ask is, lets try not to clutter up the thread with sidebar discussions, although questions about specific things they are doing / talking about (like @gearchruncher 's above my post) are perfectly fine.

OP, I am looking forward to continuing to read about this project, etc. Thanks for sharing!

Question: Why did you need to remove the battery? Is it just to get underneath for access to attach the cage and/or add reinforcements?

Thanks for all the amazing pictures! I'm saving up for a trip to Germany ;)
Thanks for everyone's good words and pinned topic! Soon coming week should come update of finished cage, so all installation and other things.

About the battery removal - in the video you will see, we must lower the cage through holes in the bottom of the car. And also weld roll cage mounting plates and seat belt mounting plates. So it would be way too dangerous to weld above installed battery.

There is 0 gap between floor and battery, so never try to drill down the floor :))

Big update! Roll cage welded inside!
Maybe you remember, how AST roll cages 3D scanned our Tesla? So they have engineered the cage, together with us adjusted and added few tubes and sent to us. Beautiful big box came with all needed tubes! Most of the things fit perfectly, just rear part was going too close to the rear seat mount, so we have done it slightly different, but this is just because it is nr1 cage, other AST cages fit more than perfect in the cars!

Lets begin with taking away not needed mounts, like for middle console, rear seats and sharp wire mounting points. As well as cleaning places where cage mounting points will be later welded on. Cutting holes in the bottom is also good idea to do in first part, so later nothing apart mounting plate needs to be taken away to get cage down.

Cage building always starts from main capsule, making sure it is in the right position. Then putting all the other tubes and just 1 point welding everything to see, how it fits, and if we need to modify anything else, like cut some body parts or adjust cage tubes. Then top of the cage is being fully welded, after that every other tube follows.

One thing is very important! Not to weld cage to the chassis in beginning! After all cage is welded, it usually becomes smaller (like space is expanding always, so cage shrinks :D ) about 1.5-2cm! So not to have any stress to the chassis, it is best to weld it the body in the last steps.

And final desert - welding cage in places, where it goes close to any internal body panel. It makes it way stiffer and avoids any squeaking sounds. Because then tube of cage goes really close to the chassis, or door rubber or something which is mounted on the chassis and cage isn't welded there to the body - then car drives - cage and body actually moves separately and grinds between and makes ugly sounds.

As always don't forget to check Youtube video and please - Subscribe!
THE SAFEST CAR GETS EVEN SAFER! TESLA ROLL CAGE

lankai1.jpg

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

IMG_3697.JPG

IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG
IMG_3762.JPG

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-13 at 18.41.43.jpeg

And now it is Nadieh's time!

Nadieh gives some design to Tesla project, where should be yellow - comes Mint color to mention our Teams chapter towards EVs! Now it's one of Ringfreaks. As well while wrapping Model 3 received some safety features like towing hooks in front and rear, also metal mesh to protect water radiator from being punched through with debris at the race track.

Also fitting BBS CI-R rims, 8.5x19 front and 9.5x19 rear, with tested Pirelli P-zero SC tyres, 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 accordingly. Here we are saving roughly 3 KGs per wheel, which is actually a big gain in handling, because we are reducing unsprung mass while increasing grip from wider tires.

Bonus - glass roof of Tesla Model 3 weights only 8.5kg! And it also works as body reinforcement. It means - we are leaving it there and sky will be seen through the roll cage.

Strangely enough - on the cars user manual it shows, that Tesla has rear towing hook, however it doesn't. Most likely it is not mandatory by law, so they stopped installing it. Luckily rear bumper subframe is really stiff and has easy form to add racing tow hook.

VIDEO: SHE WRAPS HER TESLA AND FITS 19' BBS RIMS

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG