Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Promised single pedal driving, etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed this topic, and I’m curious about why one might want this feature. Inasmuch as safety standards will always require redundant friction brakes in case of failure of regen, and that will require the presence of a brake pedal, what's the advantage of pure one-pedal driving?

Reactions: Ciaopec
I would hope to see an improvement to single pedal driving where the car will actually come to a complete stop instead of requiring you to use the mechanical brake for the last 5mph of deceleration.

I actually like the way it is set up now. For all intents and purposes I drive with one pedal only and if I really have to use the friction brakes in the last few mph it serves to keep the brakes rust free!

• Love
Reactions: outdoors
I actually like the way it is set up now. For all intents and purposes I drive with one pedal only and if I really have to use the friction brakes in the last few mph it serves to keep the brakes rust free!
That's a really good point. I would assume that they could implement a combination of regen and the use of the friction brake to bring the car to a complete stop through single pedal driving though. The driver could always use the brake pedal to stop faster, but having a mode that could be enabled to stop completely would be a great addition.

I drove one of the first Tesla prototypes with a regen slifer that went from 0-100%. Having the ability to have a little more regen would be nice and there is no ned for friction brakes but if you want to do full fast stop on regen it is a bit uncomfortable. I also had an EV with a switch to turn off regen to clean the brake rotors.

I hate to be obtuse, but I too would like to know the benefit of one pedal driving.

Personal preference, really. I'm a big fan of Tesla's current implementation, but I've also driven a Chevy Bolt EV that will come to a full stop without pressing the brake pedal.

I prefer it to come to a stop with regen only, as I don't want the computer to apply the mechanical brakes. Why? Because it usually isn't very smooth, especially in wet weather when mechanical brake friction changes... it can get grabby.

Fortunately, it sounds like Tesla is going to make "Stop Mode" a toggle in the UI, so you can choose whether it's on or off depending on what suits you.

I hate to be obtuse, but I too would like to know the benefit of one pedal driving.
Please pardon me if I'm assuming too much about what you're asking. One wants to use one-pedal driving as much as possible in order to maximize regenerative capture. I've always done that. I simply don't see any further advantage to having regen take me from 4mph all the way to zero. The energy app shows essentially no regen at those speeds, presumably because it cuts out around 4mph, but there's precious little right before reaching 4-5 mph. In routine driving, even after regen stops around 4 mph, I can usually wait until I'm down to 1 mph before tapping the brake pedal.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Model 3 already does this. It took a little getting used to, but I prefer it to the regen that peters out around 5mph. Whether they can do it with full regen or whether it requires mechanical assist via the servo is irrelevant to me. I just prefer to leave my right foot where it is.

While prefer the one pedal driving, I agree about the rust. We have a model S and a BMW i3. The i3 comes to a complete stop without braking in normal driving. I just had to spend a bunch of money replacing the disks and pads on the i3 due to rust because I didn’t use the brakes enough (in New England with lots of rust issues).